Rootin' Tootin' Lootin' Guaranteed Orange weapon Achievment Guide

deathmule

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, this trick saved my patience for the achievement, thank you OP. This is a rare find, and it is very appreciated you shared this.

To help make it even better, I would like to give my input on how things worked for me:

I started a new game, did my stats, and left the game on when I went to sleep. When I woke up, I realized I had forgotten to take it off 6 hour auto shut off. I loaded the game which said 5 hours. When loaded, I was on Mowen's boat but in the city. I had to run back to the church and I teleported to Bunker 2 and got an orange weapon.

2nd time, I left it on but didn't mess with the containers.

My Assumption

The game may very well base the rare finds on how long you have played the game. People who had corrupted saves likely experienced worse luck. Having no good items for 5 hours when just "starting the game" must trigger something in the code to allow you to have an extremely high chance to get one.

Can someone try something? Start a new character chapter 15. Go and sit in the church for 5 hours. Now go to Bunker 2 and see if there is an orange weapon. Just waiting the hours might be all you really need for the trick to work.

This trick does work 100%. I spent at least 6 hours looting and had obtained 1 orange weapon. I did this trick and it worked both times and only took 10 minutes to set up.

Does just having a friend drop a weapon and you pick it up count?

Toward the achievement? No it doesn't count.

I think these are timed based i was having real trouble with with then i left it on for couple of hours boosting my rank next box i checked had an orange weapon in.

I figured as much. That would explain why me and all my friends got the achievement in one playthrough and so many people haven't gotten it in multiple playthroughs. We'd usually sit down to 3-6 hour sessions on the weekends. We found well over 15 orange weapons in our first playthrough.

It's definitely not ONLY time based though. At least, not just in the current gaming session. I started a new game after my file got corrupted, and had a friend join me with his level 50 character to make it easier to get to the thug glitch point so I could get back to 50. From the beginning of my new game until I got to Harlan's hut during the juicebox mission, my friend found 2 orange weapons. He plays a level 50 Purna (I assume he has the jackpot skill), but still, 2 orange weapons in less than an hour is a pretty good rate.

So clearly time just increases the chance of finding an orange weapon.

I wouldn't mind doing this so much if I had a wired controller... or the time to just let my game sit for a few hours. =/

It's a great find, though, so thanks to the OP for the info and to the rest of you for confirming and testing. =)

Now, I'm at 3/5 weapons looted, just found Mowen on my second playthrough with a level 50 Purna, with the level 3 lockpick and level 3 scavenger skills. Of the 3 weapons I've found, 2 of them were from kills (one from a zombie, the other from a punk, oddly enough. =/). But of course, knowing this, I just go around killing and rarely open the chests. Still, opening the chests after a lot of time hasn't done anything for me yet. In fact, the only chest I got an orange weapon from was the third chest I had opened in about 15 minutes. =/

I figured as much. That would explain why me and all my friends got the achievement in one playthrough and so many people haven't gotten it in multiple playthroughs. We'd usually sit down to 3-6 hour sessions on the weekends. We found well over 15 orange weapons in our first playthrough.

Ah that explains my "luck" as well then, achievement before my first character hit 30-35. I spent so much time doing random crap that I was easily playing for 5hr+ chunks at a time. Occasionally I'd go make lunch/dinner and leave my character in a safe place while I was doing it/eating for up to an hour.

So, just a quick note. I don't know what the percentage of success getting an orange weapon is after 5 hours, but it seems as though before that 5 hour mark, the success rate is, at best, somewhat random. I noticed a post from eykster 2 days ago that said he got the weapon after 2 hours. Just last night, I waited about 3 hours, but got a common white weapon.

I'm not certain as to how successful this method is any more, but I'll try varying times and see what happens.

i love the people who are like 'this is so easy, i got it halfway through my first play through. just play and youll get it easily lawl'.

i had to do about 3 full play throughs, chapter 1 a couple times, and randomly play for hours to get this achievement :p

Well by the sounds of things, those of us, myself included, who got it half way through the first playthrough, were putting more hours into each play session and so kicking the RNG a bit.

So the first time i tried this, left my game on for 5 hours or so, and it worked. Second time I left it on all day today, while I was at work for 8 hours. I didn't find any maybe there's a window between 5, and 8 hours when you have to search boxes.

On your phone? not sure but that's pretty damn cryptic

Edited by JDMBO1

Ive only just got this game and by looking at this thread thought it would be really hard to get them! i have completed every sidequest but not yet completed act 1 and have found 2orange weapons. I have played for around 9hours though with sam so i dont know if its down to him i have them or the fact they may spawn every few hours?

Ive only just got this game and by looking at this thread thought it would be really hard to get them! i have completed every sidequest but not yet completed act 1 and have found 2orange weapons. I have played for around 9hours though with sam so i dont know if its down to him i have them or the fact they may spawn every few hours?

It's not "hard" by any means. I found over 15 in my first playthrough. Just play for extended hours at a time and you'll increase your chances.

By the looks of it, looting Orange's in MP doesn't count either, since i've looted both an Orange Assault Rifle and an Orange Knife of some sort and still only registering 1/5. This achievement sucks.

In MP? You mean co-op? Of course it counts. I got all of mine in co-op, and so did 3 friends that I played with.

So to be clear about this, are we saying as long as your on around 5 hours non stop. It doesnt matter about who or where you are like the video says? If i do this ide do it exactly as the video pointed out. but having to loot those three boxes, empty your inventory, then wait 5 hours and use that exact box in the bunker seems abit strange to me.

So I'm playing as Sam B. and I've only found 2 during my first playthrough and 0 thus far on my second. I've done every side quest, explored for the hell of it (trying to level to 50) and still, nothing.

Does anyone know if this works without sitting still for 5 hours? Like can I fast travel, get the weapon, run away, do other stuff, come back and loot it again?

Or does it only work sitting still =/

Also, does this work across playthroughs? Or is it one character = 5 weapons?

I love the its so easy comments. I have had three full playthroughs and only have 3/5. This is pretty much looting every crate every time I come back across it and also most special zombies. Fair enough some people take ten times longer then others to finish a playthrough which is why some people have it on their first playthrough and others like me don't so enough of them comments when this thread is clearly for those who don't yet have it and don't want to spend another 20+ hours farming.

I love the its so easy comments. I have had three full playthroughs and only have 3/5. This is pretty much looting every crate every time I come back across it and also most special zombies. Fair enough some people take ten times longer then others to finish a playthrough which is why some people have it on their first playthrough and others like me don't so enough of them comments when this thread is clearly for those who don't yet have it and don't want to spend another 20+ hours farming.

I wonder if your problem has something to do with the earlier patch and is akin to problems people have had with achievements (72/72 and right to life)? This being for people who started playing the game early on before it. I got my game after the fact and have been very fortunate. Don't want to come off like one of the "so easy" people but I haven't had any achievement issues and got the rootin' tootin' cheevo in act II of my first playthrough. In my first playthrough without farming but doing all sidequests, I've gotten at least 20 legendary weapons, mostly junk but I got them nonetheless. It just seems like that might be the cause because the difference in our two games is crazy.

Did you get it before the old patch?

The new one is today and apparently will fix this so I guess it doesn't matter anyway.