Do you see a decline in quality, with each release?

samb13

Hello,

I've only played Assassins Creed 2. There are a lot of games that can change

drastically, as new releases come out.

I liked the feel of the original Gears of War, but by Judgement, felt it moved to fast/fluid. (Gears 3 was bomb)

I liked the original Skate, then felt it got too fast and fluid. (Don't worry about what I mean, if you don't understand.)

Do you guys see a decrease in quality, as these Assassins Creed games are made? Do you favor the stories of certain ones more? Are the newer titles better, in your opinion? Are they just hit and miss, some old ones good some bad?

Thanks for your input.

I actually don't think Assassins Creed suffers from a loss of quality between games. My hopes aren't exactly high for this game but I'm still curious to see how this will turn out.

I was thinking about getting Black Flag soon anyway since I skipped last year but I heard many great things about that game.

Assassin's Creed III was a decent game on its own but it was a terrible AC game. It was all about ramboing every mission and using outdated stealth mechanics.

---

That being said, I'm getting Unity as soon as I get an Xbox One, and I don't think that's in the far-future.

No. In general I find the games to be getting better and better each time. In terms of overall greatness, personally I feel the series peaked with Revelations. ACIII improved controls and gameplay but the story wasn't as good. ACIV is fun to play but the story is a joke.

Sigh

I didn't hate ACIII as much as I'm supposed to apparently. I found several things about it to be really well done. The story being one of them. Not that it's a great tale or anything, but the way it moves very cinematically and the way the story builds on itself is actually quite good. I even liked the switch from Haytham to Connor. Now if Connor were more of an interesting character, we might have something, but alas...

But ACIV was fuckin' excellent. It had kind of a nothing story because Kenway couldn't be arsed to be part of the squabble between Assassins and Templars, so that aspect of AC didn't move an inch. :D But for me, this makes Kenway my favorite AC character.

Sigh

I didn't hate ACIII as much as I'm supposed to apparently. I found several things about it to be really well done. The story being one of them. Not that it's a great tale or anything, but the way it moves very cinematically and the way the story builds on itself is actually quite good. I even liked the switch from Haytham to Connor. Now if Connor were more of an interesting character, we might have something, but alas...

But ACIV was fuckin' excellent. It had kind of a nothing story because Kenway couldn't be arsed to be part of the squabble between Assassins and Templars, so that aspect of AC didn't move an inch. :D But for me, this makes Kenway my favorite AC character.

I agree. I enjoyed parts of AC3, but overall, it felt too thrown together, some things just didn't mesh well. I loved Haytham, but hated Connor, he felt boring, and not intriguing, but his story was okay. I honestly liked the Tyranny as a DLC, I just wished it was one part. I think I loved the modern day stuff the most in AC3 though.

AC4 was a fantastic title, and I loved it. However, after twenty hours, the sailing got boring, and all the side quests sort of felt like a drag (Just go here and kill this guy). The story was great as a pirate story, but as an Assassin's Creed, it failed. The main character wasn't even an actual assassin until the last sequence (he only worked with them sometimes), and even then, it was just a cutscene! At least in AC2, you know what you are (I bring that up because of the plot twist at the end of sequence 12? where everyone is an Assassin and you're the prophet, and you become a fully inducted member of the order.)

I agree. I enjoyed parts of AC3, but overall, it felt too thrown together, some things just didn't mesh well. I loved Haytham, but hated Connor, he felt boring, and not intriguing, but his story was okay. I honestly liked the Tyranny as a DLC, I just wished it was one part. I think I loved the modern day stuff the most in AC3 though.

AC4 was a fantastic title, and I loved it. However, after twenty hours, the sailing got boring, and all the side quests sort of felt like a drag (Just go here and kill this guy). The story was great as a pirate story, but as an Assassin's Creed, it failed. The main character wasn't even an actual assassin until the last sequence (he only worked with them sometimes), and even then, it was just a cutscene! At least in AC2, you know what you are (I bring that up because of the plot twist at the end of sequence 12? where everyone is an Assassin and you're the prophet, and you become a fully inducted member of the order.)

I can relate to Connor. He is not designed to be a playboy like Ezio from the beginning. He is not supposed to have fun or flirt with people.

ACIII indeed has its own charm esp. the naval missions. The instant I drove the Aquila I immediatly knew the naval part would be excellent. Yet like you said, some side missions like the collectibles became downright boring.

Back to the topic, the Creed series is constantly changing and improving. I don't think it's getting bad.

• 5 weeks later...

This is a great question!

Let me start off by talking about my AC history... I just barely started this last June when I was looking for a solid series to get into (I am known for getting really involved in the story of pretty much anything) and I was also looking for a series that allowed me to do a LOT in each game because I'm sort of a completionist. Anyway, I started AC in June and I went through Altair, moved on through the Ezio trilogy, and now I am on AC3 with Connor. (I would be further, but a little game called Destiny distracted me for about two months...)

So, from the 4 1/2 AC titles I have played (still halfway through AC3) I can say that Assassin's Creed is doing a dang good job at making each release a significant push forward. I feel like some series get a little stale and end up running out of good ideas. However, like Ubisoft has said many times, History is their playground and I know that there is much, much more history they can go over to create new and interesting storylines for Assassin's Creed. I think it helps that Ubisoft gives a title to a different branch each year, making each release a little different but just enough the same. Some games suffer from lack of new content because it is the same developer game after game.

Anyway, my answer might be a little convoluted and not exactly straight to the point, but I must say that Ubisoft has a grade-A series and I really hope that they do not stop pumping these games out for another few years...

I'm honestly not sure,

3 was a great AC game, story wise. Gameplay wise i hated it, the guns felt clunky, the combat was not as fluid as previous games. Plus conner was one of the worst protaginists i have played as. He did not grow out of his "emo" phase at all during the story. Storywise it did what AC games are meant to do, highlight a secret war between two powers for the fate of mankind's destiny, and that historical events happened because of this war.

Blackflag suffered the opposite problem, the combat was the best in any AC game, nice and fluid combat/free running, and guns/equipment that worked well. However the story sucked, the Assassins v templar war was mentioned but never fully embraced until the final few sequences of the game. Even then it was pretty lackluster.

Since the death of desmond, Ac has to find its footing again or else AC will become another Resident evil.

That being said though, until both the story and gameplay go downhill ill probably keep buying AC games.

Edited by SicklyPlague

Ubisoft has been trying a lot new stuff in each subsequent AC release, some have been good some have been bad, but the overall quality basically improved I'd say. If you ignore common release period problems and bugs. I liked every Assassins Creed game a lot since for me the most astonishing and fascinating aspect is the modelling of historical places, people, cities and events. Every Assassins Creed game is not just about the game but also about some kind of historical education or knowledge refresh. And yes, there are some annoying gameplay mechanics that have been added, removed, readdd, changed, dropped, during the course of all those sequels. But none of them have been really bad.

I'm currently pretty excited for Rogue, since some say this is the biggest iteration in the franchise to date (in terms of scale), and of course because of the protagonist.

And I can't say that Rogue seems lacking innovation. There are some new elements, like the frozen Ship Wrecks, the arctic setting, the main missions (hunting assassins should be a lot different than the known Assassination missions of previous ACs)

AC rogue, AC unity and Far Cry 4 will be my gaming nirvana this year, the best open world publisher with 3 releases. Can't wait.

I feel like finding a well rounded game in the AC series is too hard. It all seems to be hit or miss. AC1 had a great story but the missions were so repetitive that a lot of people skip it. AC2, in my opinion, was the best game because it had a great story, a lovable character, and the gameplay was new and exciting. AC Brotherhood had some new gameplay styles to it, but the story wasn't very interesting to me. Revelations seemed to suck all around. Ezio was pretty much just in a rush to get married and have children. AC3 would have been great had Connor been written better. The gameplay was fun and the story was entertaining, but so many people were put off by Connor's character. AC4 didn't feel like a true AC game to me. Sure, it was exciting, but it didn't feel right to me. And the naval gameplay was so overused, I got to the point where I dreaded sailing in any game ever.

I just beat Rogue last night, and while it's a lot shorter than the others, it's one of my favorite games in the series. The gameplay and graphics are a pleasant mix of AC3 and Black Flag, complete with a gripping story and characters that were memorable and even seen in the games prior. The only thing I can really complain about is I thought that the 'glitched' memory in the end seemed rather cheap. I can't speak for Unity as I haven't played it yet, but I've heard that the plot isn't very interesting and that the new gameplay and side missions are the only reasons to play it.

To get a game out each year is a problem, Brotherhood was AC2.5. Like AC2 it was good but the end was rushed. The new things in revelations were terrible and dropped for future games (the main story in turkey was dull)

AC3 - So glad I was renting games back then, very buggy and glitchy even after the day 1 patch. Hated connor and it was pretty stupid how he "forest gumped" his way to be in every major moment in the american civil war.

AC4 was fun apart from so of the main missions, too many follow and listen to this pleb.

Have not played Unity but it seems more of the same (apart from no ship combat) but the game engine is not ready and the publishers kicked it out of the day with the view "fuck it, we will patch it later".

I think they can improve the series without turning away fans of the series. Would like the game to be like a stealthy assassin, where you do hitman blood money style kills (aka make it look like accident)

I finished Rogue (well, the story at least) last night and I found it to be my favorite of the 3. I enjoyed Shay and his story much more than Edward and Conner (hated 3, but enjoyed BF). It made me wish that he was the main character of 3 in that period of time, while showing his struggles going back and forth between Assassin and templar and the way both would try to convince him they are the right side. I didn't mind the glitched memory either, was nice to see how things tie together.

Only gripe is some of the objectives can be a pain in the ass...run after this person while being chased and confronted (the objective is to not get in any combat) but let's also throw in a stalker right next to the gate you have to go through, not over. Pain in the ass.

I think an issue people are having with Unity is that they are used to the Americas with sailing and more spread out towns. Remember, a lot of people started the series with 3, so going back to something more similar to 2 is completely different. Can't wait to finish off these last achievements (so many damn collectibles and locations) and get started on Unity.

Edited by Quid Squid

• 3 months later...

I think there has been a decline since the AC2 trilogy. AC3 has to be the worst with Unity being a very close second. With Black Flag, I wanted to enjoy it, but could not get into it(terrible story missions & unlikable assassin). Rogue has been a high point for the series over the past few games, but not enough to get me excited about next years release.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

although I generally see a steady improvement as the ac series has progressed I see a small step back with the rogue release. It feels slightly rushed and the free running seems even more finicky than usual. The routes seem less forgiving and not thought out as well. even though ac is normally a collectible strong game it seems the story was short and more emphasis was put into none campaign related activities. Overall a good game but a slight step back imo