Bitching Thread

for the first game he did have the option of having much more influence if he wanted it, but chose not to because he wanted MercurySteam's version of the game to stand on its own two feet.

Yep. This is pretty much spot on. And thank god he's a humble individual without a single shred of ego. His role as mentor pointed this series in the proper direction. And with that direction, they made what I consider to be one of the best games ever made.

It's a damn shame that LoS2 failed to follow suit and be the truly epic conclusion to the saga that Mercury Steam has been touting it as since they announced it. Great game? Yes. But by no means whatsoever what it could have, and more importantly, should have been.

Can't say I didn't half expect things to turn out this way though. From the very first DLC they released for LoS, the bar had already dropped significantly. Reverie was a cobbled, rushed mess that had no business being released in the condition they released it in. No clear plot to speak of. No new gameplay mechanics, combat moves (or really even combat). Hell, nothing new, Period. Just fucking terrible, unfinished, half-assed trash. The clearest, and most damning of evidence of that being those god awful "cut scenes". They weren't even that. They were very clearly just the originally intended storyboards in motion comic form. I mean, seriously?! Who the fuck was responsible for allowing the release of the DLC without even allowing the time and resources required to even just START work on them?

Resurrection was a slight improvement. But I use slight in the barest of definitions. There were maybe 2-3 finished cut scenes at the very start. So I foolishly hoped that they'd done the right thing and taken their time to do right by the fans. What a fool's hope. A few more were scattered here and there. The only great (or even passable, for that matter) aspect of the DLC was the actually battle. It was just as damned hard as they'd intended. And the only way to kill that bastard on Paladin was to perfectly master the combat mechanics of the game. What a great damn fight. RUINED by a shitty, storyboard animatic/motion comic "cut scene" of an ending. What should've been the defining moment of the series to that point, the exact moment where Gabriel sheds his humanity entirely and chooses to become the Prince of Darkness, reduced to a piece of shit, poorly drawn motion comic. Unforgivable.

I had planned to rant about the train wreck that is Mirror of Fate. But I think I'll just stop now. Just revisiting my rage over how piss-poor Reverie and Resurrection were done took away any want for me to trash talk any further. For now...

On a high note, LoS2 wasn't what it should have been. But it's still great. Which is a hell of a lot more than anyone ever should've expected after Reverie, Resurrection, and Mirror of Fate.

Edited by ThePumpkinKing

I agree with you about the DLC for the first game on all counts. But I disagree strongly about Mirror of Fate, I went in expecting to despise that game and wound up absolutely loving it. I thought it was a unique and interesting mix of the classic linear NES style and the later Metroidvania style. I enjoyed the art style and thought they transitioned both the graphics and combat well to a 2D perspective. It actually became one of my favorite Castlevania games. Although I should note that I played the XBLA version, not the 3DS version, and from what I've read the XBLA version is said to be a much improved version of the original 3DS game.

I loved the concept behind Agreus. Hell, I loved everything about that entire area of the castle. Except the goddamn stealth section. Made no sense at all. Gabriel was vulnerable in the City. But in his castle, he had no restrictions to his potential. He was the master of the realm. So the fact that they had him sneaking around, hiding from Agreus made no fucking sense from any perspective.

I agree. I was ok with Camilla's area, in that she never really posses a problem.... other than the mild annoyance of her putting out your offerings. The garden level is just unneeded. Why not have you fight him twice or have him make you go through a true hedge maze full of spawned minions? It just kills the flow of the game completely and then you practically own him after you bbq his bird. (guess he might be more of a challenge on prince of darkness mode)

from what I've read the XBLA version is said to be a much improved version of the original 3DS game.

It's the exact same game. It's literally been called a carbon copy of the original. They did absolutely nothing but port it directly from the 3DS to XBLA.

(guess he might be more of a challenge on prince of darkness mode)

He isn't.

Edited by ThePumpkinKing

It's the exact same game. It's literally been called a carbon copy of the original. They did absolutely nothing but port it directly from the 3DS to XBLA.

I read that the graphics were improved, especially for cutscenes, and that the majority of the QTE's were removed. There definitely didn't seem to be many in the game, so that seems valid to me. But even if it's exactly like the 3DS version, I still love the hell out of it. It's not quite in my Top 5 Castlevania games, but it's probably Top 10.

My only complain was couple glitches and the stupid stealth leaf maze but now I'm at the battle of Niflhel and I'm really starting to hate this game.

I mean I like a good challenge in a good games but these challenges are really pushing it.

20secs is waaaaay too small window to break his double weapon especially when he usually doesn't even block and then you hit the warriors and challenge 2 failed. You die basicly in 2 hits. The bats take forever to reload and let's not forget that he doesn't always do damage to the warriors armours.

You can't just simply retry because you lose all your items and you have to skip unecessary cutscenes and walk those very interesting blood-dimension-whatever parts to fill up your items, health and magic.

Edited by DarkSephiroth

• 2 months later...

LOL! even though this game wasn't as awesome as the first, it kinda grew on me. What really disappoints me is how they F'd up the story from the orginal LOS game. it almost un-do's everything it built up to.

That Niflhel on paladin is a beast! the best weapon is the chaos bombs. The key is to aim them well to not break the armours but keep them weak and red.

• 1 month later...

Don't know if it's just me, but the DLC doesn't seem to work from the download store. Purchased both of the alt skins, and neither are able to download to the hard drive. Was planning on getting the Revelations DLC to finish off the achievements, but I'd rather not waste money on something that can't even download.

Game itself is garbage compared to LoS1.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have actually grown to like this game and am going for full completion...I have gotten through the challenges and the outer limits but right now I am in a bit of a bind. Just over 3/4 of the way through you basically have 3 boss fights and a arge horned demon to get through, my main problem, no ability to restock relics or even get some health/magic. You get the uber horned demon, Victor, a regular big horned demon and finally dracula's inner blood demon. Hello guys really, no ability to restock any where in there. I have basically fought through all the first three parts with about 1/8th health, I just don't get how they can just put you from cut scene to cutscene without a tranisistion to recuperate. Bitching done!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...