Turtle Beach x31 or x41?

ObliviouS700

I'm wanting to get one of these headsets but i'm stuck on the decision between the 2. Here is the features the x41 has over the x31...

* Removable Mic Boom

* Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound

* Dolby Pro Logic IIx

* Digital Optical Input/Output

I'm just wanting to know if the 7.1 dolby is gonna make a huge difference in quality... or if i should just pay half the price and get the x31.

I have the x41 and it is great, the sound is absolute quality. The only negative is that it is completely worthless for the chat feature. The mic is utter crap and nobody can ever hear me, and I can't turn the volume up high enough to hear anyone else. So for single player, nothing better that I have tried. For multiplayer...keep looking.

I have the x41 and it is great, the sound is absolute quality. The only negative is that it is completely worthless for the chat feature. The mic is utter crap and nobody can ever hear me, and I can't turn the volume up high enough to hear anyone else. So for single player, nothing better that I have tried. For multiplayer...keep looking.

Sounds like theres a bit of a problem there. The mic shouldn't be doing that mite be worth giving them an e-mail. I had a problem with my optical cable and i got a new one within days. it sounds like it mite be a issue with the chat cable. let me know what happeneds :D

• 1 year later...

I see this thread has been inactive for some time, but I think a lotta people are googling for it now cuz' of Black Ops so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I've had the x31's for about a year now. I used to play with a decent speaker-setup while using the default mic that comes with the xbox Elite. The difference from that setup is sublime.

With the X31 voice chat is now actually good. With the new dashboard-update (which contained a voice codec upgrade) talking to other people using x31 (or any other decent mic) is comparable to talkingon the phone. When talking to people using the standard xbox-elite mic they frequently drop out, are being cut off mid-sentence and stuff like that. Essentially, it's useless to have a normal conversation that way. People I've talked to claim that they can hear me crystal clear, and I feel the same way when talking to people who uses x31/41.

When it comes to game-sound, compared to what I was used to, it's fantastic. X31 has 4 settings: default, extra bass, "fake" surround and "fake surround" with extra bass. In my experience the fake surround setting isn't any good: sounds coming from the front sound weird and just kinda off, I don't really feel i get a better grip on where sounds are coming from than without the fake surround, and worst of all: it makes everything sound weirdly echo-like.

I use my x31 with the extra bass setting and that works wonders for me. The sound is rich and explosions and other "big booms" sounds just right. I've also upped my game considerably since getting my x31: I frequently stand still and just listen for enemies (if i know there's people lurking around).

My only complaint is the faint hiss they constantly make. This was a real bummer when I first plugged them in, but after a while you don't notice it. Also, you only really notice it when you're at the xbox dashboard, ie. when there's no sound playing. Also, if you remove the cord between your controller and the headset, the hissing decreases substantially. But, as I said, whenever you're ingame or watching a video, you can't really notice the hiss.

There are two other great features that I should mention. The first is the most obvious, but funny enough a lotta headsets come without: the mute mic switch. The x31 has a real easy-to-reach mute button, and I use it all the time (for when my girlfriend comes in and bugs me while I'm playing ;P). The other is the different volume controls, one for ingame sound and one for voice chat. It's great to have the opportunity to really tone down the ingame sounds while cranking up the voicechat, or vice versa.

I paid about $190 for my set, but this is due to taxes and stuff here in Norway when it comes to importing stuff. Still, I figure they were more than worth it. If you can pick it up for say $100, then do yourself a favour and do it. Now.

Lately I've been looking into getting the x41, but from reading reviews and tests, I can't really see that the 7.1 sound makes that big of a difference, and I also read somewhere that the x41 doesn't have as good a bass-sound as the x31.

If anyone have any info about how the bass is in the x41, or how the "surround" works in the x41 vs the x31, I'd be most grateful.