Combat challenge tips

toxictaz

Confirmed- you can unlock the achievement by getting 30 stars in any combination, then back out to main menu or/ restart console/dashboard and then reload game and press start and select play game/hard drive. pop.... example- 1-15 solo and 1-15 2 player = 30 stars. Note- once you hit the 30 mark, quit and reload game before doing anything else.

Credit- Toxic Taz, Deadly Dakota.

Sucks i did it the hard way. i guess we would'nt know this if i hadn't. :(

does any1 have a good strategy for #26 and #30 with 2 ppl? I think these are easier by yourself. 26 for sure. with 2 ppl theres 4 bots and is impossible to hold all four off by yourself.

i have some tips.

#26 and #30 the only tips i can give you are. learn the maps really good. where the hills are. the radar when your in certain spots so you can get ready to shoot them when they pop around a corner. only use maulers, laptop, or cyclone and when you have to the reaper. put your sim on hold hill. watch the youtube videos to get an idea where to hide for easy corner kills.

then last, but not least you have to get the game in your favor(luck). you can even restart till you get first point. Goodluck.:woop:

#28 with 2 ppl.- you keep restarting till you get the spawn with the falcon in square area and opponents is the AR34 on wooden bridge. you'll be right next to eachother. grab the falcon and crouch all the way down. camp towards the back/middle/wall and line up for headshots. aim slightly above the stairs in the middle and just shoot when ever you see yellow. dont worry if you die. if your fast enough you can get dual weild. then have your teammate try there hardest to get the case's. if the time is about to expire you both can hold them off when your in the lead, but i recommend trying to capture all three.

CREDIT-Deadly Dakota and i.

#29 the glitch is the only way i think its possible. because they get guns immediately and you dont usually. once you die its over because of the lack of a spawn shield to at least grab a gun. but anywayz..................... there's a hole at the bottom on the side of a room. if you crouch all the way in the left front and aim high. they will walk to the edge and you can get easy kills. they can still kill you, but alot less. have your teammate try to bring you ammo by dying right above you or switch you spots because if you run out of ammo its very hard to get back there.

CREDIT- marshmallow

having no spawn shield and getting spawn killed in the back is frustrating. AHHHH :uzi::mad:

Here's a link for alot more tip's

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/file/198275/8182

THX to untitled agent for finding link.

Edited by toxictaz
perfection

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are definitely the tough ones, I got around them differently though.

#28: I had too much trouble with them spawning by the AR34's and having that right off the bat, so I kept restarting until that was my base and there's was right to the left in that square area. It took quite some time but I was able to manage grabbing the cases quick enough. Just be sure to play both offensively and defensively ... kind of luck.

#29: Funny, because the glitch sounds familiar. Was that in the N64 version? Well after three brutal hours at this one, I was just lucky and managed to finish it. My strategy was constantly grabbing a Dragon and throwing it as a proximity bomb along the hallways so it was almost always a kill. The toughest part was obviously when you'd die and start with nothing.

It's hard to explain this, but the best place I found out was at the higher levels where the CMP spawns on the bridge in the middle, all the way on one of the sides of the map. This is by one of the two Dragon's, get the Dragon and set it up in front of the CMP. There is now only one other entrance into that area, so run to it and guard that. Whenever you get a kill with the Dragon, try you best and running back over there and grabbing a newly spawned one (or the enemies typically have one), then just rinse and repeat.

I still recommend trying to grab the other Dragon and doing the same if you're on that side, but that one is rarely safe. It takes too long to go up the long ramp and that area is so open, very easy to get killed. Just try to grab that Dragon, set it up and get out of there.

Also at that top dead end where the Magnum is, never ever go there. You're screwed if you do, lol...

Try your very best to get dual weapons, that way you might be lucky in getting a kill ... well, good luck!

As for #30 ... ugh, wow. Thanks JoSim!!

Edited by Xeogred

Thx bro, have you beaten 26 or 30? i need help on these. yeah that glitch was in the n64 version i guess cause the guide the guy wrote is for it.

my friend and i try to find the hills and defend, but there so fast and they capture them all so fast. i hate how there 2x the speed i am. it sucks how they get 4 points to our 2.

Edited by toxictaz

Thx bro, have you beaten 26 or 30? i need help on these. yeah that glitch was in the n64 version i guess cause the guide the guy wrote is for it.

my friend and i try to find the hills and defend, but there so fast and they capture them all so fast. i hate how there 2x the speed i am. it sucks how they get 4 points to our 2.

Yeah bot are illegal in this game in aint funny.I dont care about their 100% accuracy but please they should move at the same speed we do :mad:

Which one was 26?

And I just finished 30 earlier today. Let me just say, that I -completely- forgot you can order your bots for specific jobs. Hold the left bumper bringing up the weapons menu then hit the trigger two times, you can then set commands for the bot. I thought "Protect" was the most useful since it'd follow you around when you were close. By doing this if you're on a Hill and the bot is with it, it'll stay there to protect you and thus you have a shot at getting two points when you're on the hill.

Are you able to play the challenges across Xbox Live?

Just got the last 3 to do, did it on the N64 but damn, after all this time coming back to them all I can pin the success is on the N64 controller being awesome.

However it does feel like the whole game is easier than the original. Though again the last 3 challenges are a pain in the ass.

yes you can complete them on live, but only the host gets the achieve ive heard. which i think is ridiculous.

has any1 tried with 4 ppl on live to see if its easier? cause i dont think they can add more than 4 bots.

i just need to beat 26,30. :( 27 glitched on me.

OMG.... i just beat 26 with a tie and 30 with a shutout 10-4 back to back. i guess i was in the zone to do both in a row or god was inside of me. lol... i started today off with a sad feeling that i wouldnt be able to do it. ive been at this for days. i thought it would be easier with 4 ppl, but i never got to try it.

i got so lucky. the AI would glitch a little. the hills were lined up from one to the next. i was going to give up for the night.

EDIT: OMG this makes me so mad. i didnt want the achievement yet. i left 28 not completed. then i woke up today and loaded game then selected hard drive. then the ach popped. i think you only need to complete 29.

Sum1 needs to beat 29 and quit to dash and reload game to see if it unlocks.

Edited by toxictaz

I'm stuck on Challenge #20 (1 shot kill in sewers with pistols & protect your weaker partner). I barely have time to react b4 he pops around the corner & owns me. Not to mention he keeps killing that idiot partner of mine.

On my first try I managed to kill him 7 times (score 7 to 11). But the next few tries I couldn't even kill him once! Once he gets dual Mag Sec4's it's over.

Any tips?

I'm stuck on Challenge #20 (1 shot kill in sewers with pistols & protect your weaker partner). I barely have time to react b4 he pops around the corner & owns me. Not to mention he keeps killing that idiot partner of mine.

On my first try I managed to kill him 7 times (score 7 to 11). But the next few tries I couldn't even kill him once! Once he gets dual Mag Sec4's it's over.

Any tips?

I followed the advice from the old GameFAQs FAQ on this and it made that one easy:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/960632/8182

The idea of this challenge is to kill the enemy while defending your poor NormalSim, which isn't exactly the most intelligent of allies you're going to get in the near future. If the enemy kills both of you, he gets two points. Everytime you kill him, you get one point. So defending your ally is remarkably important.

This challenge is extremely difficult, but with the following strategy it becomes somewhat easy, but still very time consuming.

First off, hold the "A" button until the quick-menu select screen comes up. Tap the "Z" trigger twice to activate the Buddy command menu. Now tell your Simulant to "Follow." She will now tag along. Make your way to the middle of the level, it has a shield near a gray hole that you can fall through, and several MagSec-4's and ammunition boxes nearby. You can tell you're near because you will run up several ramps, leaning in at an angle. Camp right here, where the shield is, and equip a MagSec-4 on its secondary function: three-round burst. Make sure both you and your friend has a shield on, as now it will take two shots to kill each of you, instead of one.

Now duck all the way down, and watch the radar. There are only two ways into this room: the hallway or the elevator lift. Watch your radar very closely and it will be painfully obvious which one he will enter through. Kill him immediately, being sure to fire as fast as you can. If you duck you have little chance of getting hit, and even if you do you have a shield. Your ally will sometimes run off and try to take care of business herself, so select "Hold" from the ally command. She will now stay put.

Once you kill the enemy once, be sure to grab the MagSec he had, because this will enable you to have double MagSec's, making the chances of him living once you shoot at him almost nil. Camp here for the remainder of the round and you should win.

Note: The Buddy command window is LB (weapon select) + RT (fire) in this version I believe.

P.S. - And yes, #26 is the one I absolutely cannot beat. I havn't actually tried #30 yet, but I've beaten every other challenge besides those two.

Edited by WarlockSoL

I'm a noob compared to you guys O_o I'm stuck on Challenges 14 to 17.

#14) Use the cloaking field to capture the case if u can find it. It just takes patience, memorize the locations of all the weapons if u are having a tough time with it and get the good weapons b4 you make your assault.

#15) That one is kind of annoying. I swear every time I see someone they have a shield and a devastator. I think my strategy became the bot's strategy: go straight for the shield and devastator! Then fire around corners when you see them about to come around the corner on the radar & you should be fine. Play defensively after you aquire the devastator

#16) Camp with proximity mines sounds good.

#17) If you see the prick standing still on the radar while you're capturing the hill, you SHOULD NOT feel safe. I guarantee you 5 seconds b4 you're about to capture it you'll see a rocket come around the corner and obliterate you. Make sure you kill him right b4 you start to capture it and you should be fine.

Hope that helps, those were my strategies at least. Or you could consult the guide that was posted above.

Camp with proximity mines sounds good.

^ this. Get to the area that's all gray and has a bunch of big pump-looking things. Grab proxy mines and litter the hallway with them. Then wait in the proxy mine room for Biosim to come and blow himself up. Reapply mines as needed. After like 3 or 4 deaths, he will wait for you to come out. Just wait out the time and you're golden (when I did it, he did make a mad dash for me at 1 min remaining, but this just led to like 3 more deaths :p).

Keep in mind it usually takes at least two proxy mine explosions to kill him (the computer totally cheats)

P.S. - it wasn't on your list, but I assume you havn't unlocked it yet. Key to #18 is to load the Sims with tranq darts which turns their accuracy to crap. It's amazing how that one thing turns an insanely hard challenge into a breeze. Also be sure to stock up on cloaking devices though - helps you hold the hills since the Sims are dumb and can't find you when cloaked.

Edit: Also, for #15, yeah, that one can be crazy. Best advice is that if the Sims get the briefcase, do a kamikaze run into them. If you can get close enough to them without dying, they will inevitably fire a point-blank grenade in your face and blow themselves up. It's great, and it resets the 30 second briefcase timer.

As a side note, a good place to hold the briefcase yourself is that white room surrounded by glass walls where the devastator spawns. Sims seem to have trouble with all that glass and like to blow themselves up trying to shoot at you. Plus you have the devastator and lots of ammo to keep them at bay.

Edited by WarlockSoL

#14) Use the cloaking field to capture the case if u can find it. It just takes patience, memorize the locations of all the weapons if u are having a tough time with it and get the good weapons b4 you make your assault.

#15) That one is kind of annoying. I swear every time I see someone they have a shield and a devastator. I think my strategy became the bot's strategy: go straight for the shield and devastator! Then fire around corners when you see them about to come around the corner on the radar & you should be fine. Play defensively after you aquire the devastator

#16) Camp with proximity mines sounds good.

#17) If you see the prick standing still on the radar while you're capturing the hill, you SHOULD NOT feel safe. I guarantee you 5 seconds b4 you're about to capture it you'll see a rocket come around the corner and obliterate you. Make sure you kill him right b4 you start to capture it and you should be fine.

Hope that helps, those were my strategies at least. Or you could consult the guide that was posted above.

#14 is annoying with the cloaking.

#15 is even MORE annoying with the bots spamming the hell out of the Devastator.

#16 annoys the hell out of me even MORE because they take two shots "Doosh doosh" and I'm frickin' dead while I'm stuck with a piece-a crap. The proxy mines ARE good, I'll try it solo sometime.

#17 is annoying because the sims have the Reaper, I have an ASSAULT RIFLE, they still kill me but if they have the assault rifle no shield and I have the Reaper WITH a shield, they STILL freaking kill me and I have Auto-Aim on which LOCKS ON to the freaking enemy. I'm only mildly pissed, if I was severely pissed, I'd be swearing a LOT more.

EDIT: And Warlock, I heard that the blurryness only works on Players not Simulants. And no, I don't have #18 unlocked so I wouldn't even know what the hell do to in that one. I'm starting to get REAL pissed off at the total bull going on in these challenges.

Edited by Ryan Boss Stevens

On Challenge 28 I literally just ignored them and went for the case. Kept quitting the challenge until I started with the base at the top of the ramp, and theirs was right next to mine. Grabbed AR34, shot them only when they were in my way and just concentrated on capping the case. Took a while but managed it in the end.

For Challenge 29 I camped out in that room with the ramp, Cyclone, hole in the ceiling and the 'window' that overlooks the lower room which contains a DY357. Basically just face the only ground-level entrance to this room, with the 'window' on your right. Watch the radar and start firing before they round the corner. You can usually headshot them before they can get a shot off. I managed to win after a few attempts.

you kinda have to though, darksims constantly cheat anyway (unless they've changed it so they don't move faster than is possible and spawn with the best weapon on the map).

Yea they are cheap and I'm outnumbered. So you kinda have to be cheap to win yourself.

On Challenge 28 I literally just ignored them and went for the case. Kept quitting the challenge until I started with the base at the top of the ramp, and theirs was right next to mine. Grabbed AR34, shot them only when they were in my way and just concentrated on capping the case. Took a while but managed it in the end.

That's pretty much exactly what I did. Got the case twice before they even attacked, then killed them with my AR34 and got the case the third time. It took like 1 minute, lol. It's definitely all about where u spawn. You HAVE to spawn at the AR34 or you lose.

For Challenge 29 I camped out in that room with the ramp, Cyclone, hole in the ceiling and the 'window' that overlooks the lower room which contains a DY357. Basically just face the only ground-level entrance to this room, with the 'window' on your right. Watch the radar and start firing before they round the corner. You can usually headshot them before they can get a shot off. I managed to win after a few attempts.

For that challenge.... you kinda have to camp somewhere cheap. I chose to do [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA5kyiAsGPE]this[/ame]. :)

Also I just beat Challenge 30 legit. All you really have to do is make sure your partner is following you. Don't stray too far from your partner, cuz u need her to distract them when they attack. Just grab a Mauler (or dual preferably). Usually the enemy has a Mauler so if you kill them with your Mauler u can grab their's to get duals.

Then just make your way to the hill, charge shotting them. Sit in a corner with your partner beside you and charge shoot them as they enter. This requires a bit of luck like any challenge. My winning run they seemed to miss a lot and they were rarely together. Maybe it was because I kept killing them w/ the mauler...

^ Yeah, that's another good place to camp for #29. AI partner is essential on #30 as you score double if you're both in the hill when it is capped.

Rly? Crap, I didn't even know that one....

I thought I had more points that I should've, but I wasn't about to look the gift horse in the mouth.

Has any1 tried to beat 29 of them like the achievement says. then reloading game that i suggested. i beat all with 2 ppl besides 26,30 and i never completed 28 and it gave me the ach the next day i loaded it up. i was wondering becuz the ach says 29, not 30.