Biomes: Likes & Dislikes

So I was wondering, what is everyone's favourite and hated biomes in the game? Give reasons if possible.

Favourite: Extreme Hills. The shape of mountains is great for building secluded areas, and stopping unwanted guests poking around to easily.

Hated: Snow. I could just about tolerate them before creative came out. But that update ruined my world which I had spent 5 months working on. Now I cannot stand these areasons. I will search out seeds with little or no snow. Tried my daughter's name and ended up disappointed as it was 100% snow covered world.

The rest of the biomes I'm indifferent about and happy enough them being there. So what's your picks?

for me, my favorite would be swamps. mostly because, for me anyway, oaks have more of a tendency to drop apples. also because every world i've ever come across always has the stronghold somewhere in a swamp biome.

least favorite would be deserts. they're so barren. now, whenever the xbox version catches up, we could have villages made of sandstone and desert temples. that's probably a ways off though.

i just want jungles... jungles would make things all better :(

So I was wondering, what is everyone's favourite and hated biomes in the game? Give reasons if possible.

Favourite: Extreme Hills. The shape of mountains is great for building secluded areas, and stopping unwanted guests poking around to easily.

Hated: Snow. I could just about tolerate them before creative came out. But that update ruined my world which I had spent 5 months working on. Now I cannot stand these areasons. I will search out seeds with little or no snow. Tried my daughter's name and ended up disappointed as it was 100% snow covered world.

The rest of the biomes I'm indifferent about and happy enough them being there. So what's your picks?

Interesting thread.

Me likes:

Swamp: I just like the feel of em, also stuff tends to grow faster in swamps; When 4J eventually puts swamp slimes in the 360, the swamp biomes will feel complete to me. :)

Extreme Hills: Abodes under overhangs are awesome, and mostly mob-proof; also emeralds will be in those chunks even though testificates are cheap bastards :p

These should burn:

Ocean (yes, it its a Biome): I don't like the ocean...

Mushroom: I don't get the appeal, waste of chunks in my opinion.

Desert: Currently the only survival way to get cactus, If only cactus grew on soul sand, sigh...

Everything else holds my ambivalence, for now.

I want Jungle Biomes though, or at least jungle blocks, making a treehouse just doesn't look right with non-jungle blocks.

Thanks Sensei. I was ranting with the missus about how much I hate snow biomes and she hates them too. I really want to like them, as I would love to build a log cabin in a snow covered forest. But like I said, my world was wrecked by the update changing my biomes. 3 huge ads water slides had to be removed as a result.

I do agree about making a home underneath an overhang. Would look awesome. Will have to give that a go.

As for ocean biomes, I actually like them. I did make an epic ocean garden without creative. 100 blocks in diameter and 2 extensions to it. So at its widest point, it's easily 200+ blocks wide. I like building them out at sea, as I don't have issues with mobs and animals bothering me whilst I worked.

As for Jungles, I'm disappointed that 4J decided not to include them in the upcoming update. I want a jungle treehouse!

I created a world in June with a random seed and it was all snow except for one small area. I built things to go with snow, igloos, etc. and the small area that wasn't snow I used as a kind of summery area.

Then we got the update that added creative mode, suddenly my igloos were over water, almost all the ice melted, and the summery area was covered in snow.

I had two games that were completely ruined by updates, after I'd spent months on them!

this a thousand times over, jungles are the worst thing EVER. they spawn all over the place theyre ugly as hell and they lag a lot even when everything else runs smoothly

Seriously, the Jungle Temples and maybe Ocelots are the only benefits to having one nearby (Not hard as they are so common). I think Jungle wood is ugly, not the trees but the planks.

Can't wait to see half a Xbox 360 map taken up by Jungle, unless they tweak it. :p

I gotta admit I want to experience jungles. I think they look awesome. Each to their own though, and glad there is a difference of opinion.

Thinking about biomes, what other biomes would people like to see implemented? I would love to se a tropical island biome or floating islands. I know we have floating chunks of land, but they are always small.

I gotta admit I want to experience jungles. I think they look awesome. Each to their own though, and glad there is a difference of opinion.

Thinking about biomes, what other biomes would people like to see implemented? I would love to se a tropical island biome or floating islands. I know we have floating chunks of land, but they are always small.

yeah i dont expect everyone to feel as i do :D my problems with them come from the pc anyway, they may optimize them better on consoles and you not have the problem of everytme your within a few feet of them the fps dropping dramatically . I can play with everything on full in vanilla minecraft generally until i reach them and all of a sudden everything just collapses . Plus he fact they spawn wayyy too often

on the new biomes tbh its something ive thought about quite a bit but would rather see them smooth the transitions between the current biomes and add more subbiomes like the beaches etc in rather than complete new ones I like the current world generation generally and each biome is great in their own way performance issues aside but the way they spawn and lock together leaves a lot to be desired

praking of sub biomes, I am sure they are adding beaches.

As for transition between biomes. I totally agree. Nothing worse than going from a desert to snow biome. Looks totally wrong. Snow on sand is a bizarre thing to look at.

I have never played it on PC so have no experience on any issues with jungles. If they spawn frequently, then that's better than mushroom biomes which are always tiny islands and rarely spawn on any seeds I try out.

The biomes I hate are the ones that cover a majority of my tiny world. The only exception to this is the forest biome. If we could have infinite worlds like on PC, I wouldn't hate any one biome.

If I had to give an answer for a reason other than size, I'd have to say swamp. While I prefer it over desert, and I like the way it looks, it takes forever getting around.

I don't hate any of the biomes. They each have their appeal to me. Though on the Xbox360 version... It's annoying when you get a world that is only ONE freakin' biome. Get a world that's all mountains? Annoying. A world that's all swamp? Annoying.

I enjoy variety in my maps so that I can construct where I see fit. I enjoy variety so that I can collect whatever materials I desire. I require my maps to have one of every biome so I can harvest every block imaginable in the game.

By far the one I do the least with though?

Deserts. I strip-mine them and turn all the sand into glass. I don't like sandstone... Sometimes I try to survive in it. Mostly? I just strip-mine 'em.

What do I do the most with?

Forests.

I just generally like wood. I use it in everything. I don't even mine coal 'cause of it. Tons of dead trees to fuel furnaces! Never a need for sticks or planks or logs!

I don't hate any of the biomes. They each have their appeal to me. Though on the Xbox360 version... It's annoying when you get a world that is only ONE freakin' biome. Get a world that's all mountains? Annoying. A world that's all swamp? Annoying.

I enjoy variety in my maps so that I can construct where I see fit. I enjoy variety so that I can collect whatever materials I desire. I require my maps to have one of every biome so I can harvest every block imaginable in the game.

By far the one I do the least with though?

Deserts. I strip-mine them and turn all the sand into glass. I don't like sandstone... Sometimes I try to survive in it. Mostly? I just strip-mine 'em.

What do I do the most with?

Forests.

I just generally like wood. I use it in everything. I don't even mine coal 'cause of it. Tons of dead trees to fuel furnaces! Never a need for sticks or planks or logs!

My ideal location for a home has always been in a hilly biome, although back in Alpha there wasn't biomes so it just transitioned from the massive hills back then.

Tweet Minecraft on Twitter (4jstuidos) if they get enough people they'll make a patch that will fix the ice age crisis. This happened on the PC and was fixable via a patch.

If you start a new map you're going to get another ice age as the Jungle Biome is still to come. I'd start a new map after that update as the Ice Age Crisis will be unlikly unless they invinte new Biomes

-Extreme Hills, I love the feel to them, I love doing things in mountainous areas. To me, it is just the all around funnest biome

-Ocean, believe it or not, I like the ocean. It is really fun to do things in it because its stuff nobody else really ever does.

Dislikes:

-Swamp - Because slimes spawn all the damn time, I cant stand the noise. (I pla on PC)

- Snow biome - Worst biome, snow everywhere. Looks bad.

-Extreme Hills, I love the feel to them, I love doing things in mountainous areas. To me, it is just the all around funnest biome

-Ocean, believe it or not, I like the ocean. It is really fun to do things in it because its stuff nobody else really ever does.

Dislikes:

-Swamp - Because slimes spawn all the damn time, I cant stand the noise. (I pla on PC)

I know what you mean about extreme hills. I'm currently building in one on my g/f world, and I'm building in the side of a mountain face. Got all 3 types of stone brick in there, .arrow wwalkways, vines hanging everywhere. Looks awesome. Best build I've done since before creative.

Dislikes:

The bloody snow sucks, I turn particles off when I go through those biomes.