X-tream achievement glitch FAQ

LordYoshi

As we all know there is a glitch to beat the game on X-tream (hard):

If you beat the game on New Mutant (easy) then select X-tream when starting a new game + you can quit out and use level select to the last level. It will now be on X-tream. Beat the level for the achievement.

If you mess up and do not choose X-tream when ask at the start of new game + YOU MUST replay the entire game.

• Changing the difficulty, hitting a checkpoint, and then loading the last level will not give you the achievement.
  • Beating the last level again will not let you pick new game + again.
  • If you choose X-tream on new game + then changed it to a lower difficulty for whatever reason, it has saved and your screwed. Changing back will not give you the achievement.

I like many others now have to play the game again. It is not long but it wasn't something I wanna play again. I have seen this discussed in two or three threads now and hopefully this will sum it all up and save people from playing the game twice in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Might be worth mentioning that NEW GAME+ is actually started by hitting CONTINUE, this is probably what's messing people up...it was in my case.

When I finished the game the second time I made a copy of my save before I started any form of new game in case I messed up again, better to be safe.

• 4 weeks later...

I messed up and hit continue when I meant to go for the load option to grind out the kills. If I complete on Game + Do I get a new New Game +? Or do I have to start again with a new character?

My new game + is set on New Mutant. If I haven't done anything and landed in chapter 1, can I set to X-tream, checkpoint, then jump to Chapter 8?

I don't really want to do a whole playthru again if I can help it....

• 3 months later...

I had the screen freeze on me when starting new game+ and when the game started I checked to see the difficulty. It showed the difficulty as X-Treme. Did checking the difficulty end up screwing me over?

I ask because I loaded the last level beat the boss and no achievements

• 4 weeks later...

I made the same mistake. I accidentally hit continue when I wanted to go to load and tried to get out by pressing B. Seemingly though there was no way to cancel starting the new game+ and I ended up starting again on new mutant. Oh well! Just playing it through and trying to get the kill X of Y achievements. Then I'll just start again and new game+ it on X-treme. Already beat the last level on X-treme after tryign to fix my epic failure but no cheev as people have said. Least I know it can be done and is't too tough!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...