Getting combos going. (and general advice)

I'm having quiet a tough time with this game, try as I might is just seems like you never get the opportunity to do anything besides keep your distance and spam Guillotine. Enemies are so fast and aggressive (and I swear they skip frames sometimes) that any efforts to set up different combos is just an invitation for damage.

This isn't really the way its supposed to be right? Just stick to one or two moves and spam them? Why am I unlocking all these other tools if I can't really use them? On top of that only relying on Guillotine tends to keep me away from enemies and makes getting orbs a real risk and I can't get them consistently enough to keep my magic going since I have to worry about getting jumped while I make my way to them. Seems like anything new I get just doesn't work very well, I was excited about the Gauntlet but the darn thing just leaves you way too open I feel. I know your supposed to play more defensively in this game but relying solely on Guillotine is making things really tedious and slow, that can't be right.

Just feels like I'm doing something wrong ever which way I turn. I'm on chapter 4 now and I am a bit hesitant to continue till I figure this out. I'm playing on Knight difficulty right now and I know I could just nab credit for it on my later Paladin run but I'm too afraid of getting comfortable in a lower difficulty and getting smacked all over the place on my second run.

Edited by personman

• 7 months later...

My comments on this game exactly. I think I may quit.

You bring up the precise problem with the gameplay. Why is god of war, Dante's Inferno, and hell, even Conan infinitely more fun?

Because of the gameplay. I never feel that I'm getting stronger or better, and found the same issues that you have. It's boring me. It's also annoying me. The controls I can never master because of the many buttons.