To the completionists - When do you call it quits on a game?

SHawk996

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only real thing that stops me from 100%ing is if it's just too much effort to improve myself in that particular aspect of the game. Never gonna finish Beatles Rock Band because I don't like rhythm games enough to go for expert stars on all the tracks, and DOA4's Survival achievements are too much of a hassle to beat 100 of those insane guys. Same for SFIV and Mirror's Edge, where I just don't care. World at War's prestige achievements are impossible now without modders, so I'll leave that where it lay.

If I don't enjoy the game anymore for example killing those adamantoise fellas in FFXIII for treasure hunter just got boring, i might do it later though if I ever feel like. Also some games I try to get as many as possible but if there's one achievement that requires many extra hours and is repetitive I usually pass.

As I just started on the Xbox 360 I can't call myself much of a completionist since I have yet to 100% a game... but on my games for the PC and PS3...oh hell yes lol. I'm so OCD that I like seeing that little question mark square filled in no matter what. heh The only time I won't 100% is on the stupid Multiplayer achievements. I will go for most of them, but when they are stupidly annoying I won't bother to work on it full on, rather will just work on it a little at a time when I can, and sometimes still never finish it.

One good example... the 50 Legendary weapons achievement for Fable 3... W..T..F. lol That one is likely the reason I won't 100% that game. :\

As for non Multiplayer achievements... I played Dragon Age Origins about 14 times just to get 100% on that game. lol I'm all for filling it out if I can do it on my own. :)

As for calling it quits...never. It's the same reason I haven't sold any of my games for any platform. I always get nostalgic or get an itch to replay it one day so all my games are well loved and well played to this day. hehehe

If you are a true Completionist, then you never call it quits. You call in reinforcements. However, if you feel the urge to be beaten by a game and NOT get every achievement, Guitar Hero III is the least unacceptable. It has a punishing list that demands not only one but two people who can play on Expert basically in their sleep.

If you are a true Completionist, then you never call it quits. You call in reinforcements. However, if you feel the urge to be beaten by a game and NOT get every achievement, Guitar Hero III is the least unacceptable. It has a punishing list that demands not only one but two people who can play on Expert basically in their sleep.

That is the game that is bringing down my completion rate the most. I don't have ambitions of completing GH3 anytime soon, but I do have ambitions of completing it eventually. Same with the rest of the music games that I haven't finished yet and other games that take an extreme amount of skill. I pick them up every so often and knock out a little bit more in the game, one more song 5 starred, one more song passed, that sort of thing. Kind of why I say games may be unfinished, but they are never abandoned.

I used to play the games till I got bored and then trade them But I find that I end up buying them again to get the achievements. Plus I never really give up on a game I just put it down to play another game. Then come back later. Fallout 3 was like that Over the span of 1.5 year I put in 3500 hour to get a 100%. It pisses me off when the company doesn't release the all the dlc to get the achievements. I.E. Hellboy The Science of Evil:eek: grrr

If I REALLY enjoy a game: I must collect one of every item, complete every quest/mission, etc. Hardest difficulty, of course. Basically, if there's something in the game, I must do it. It is completed when I literally can do no more unique things.

If I enjoy a game: until I get the in-game's method of tracking completion to 100% or its equivalent. If a game has achievements, those work as a good tracker of completion, though my actual idea of completion could involve doing more than the achievements say or even less; depends on the way they set up the achievements. If the game has no in-game methods of tracking completion, then pretty much just when I beat the game. Hardest difficulty, of course.

If a game is only okay: Same as above, but I'll mark it as complete a little early if it's got stupid things I don't care about. Hardest difficulty, of course.

If it's a game I hate: Easiest difficulty, rush through the damned thing. Burn it when done and never look back.

Even though some will call me insane, usually I'll throw in the towel when the achievements list includes MP achievements to the effect of "Get 5,000 headshots" or something ridiculous like that. I still may chip away at it here and there, but once I have 100% game completion, all campaign/single player achievements, I'm satisfied.

I hate how the sports games shut down online content. I liked to play older sports games (because really if you play a franchise for a few seasons you are never going to have a current roster of real players playing)..but ea is a dick so after like 3 years they shut down the online content

i would be 100% on ncaa football 09 but i cannot do any of the online achievements..kinda sucks but i guess i should just shell out $60 bucks every fall to get the newest game!! (yea right thats never going to happen!)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like the online-achievements like the ones in RE5.

The versus-mode achievements. It's not just the fact that I think of this versus-mode to be totally boring to play through but I also don't know anyone who's willing to play the versus mode with me.

I play games for fun so if there are achievements I still need to unlock I try a few times but if it doesn't work I let go. It's senseless sitting days in front of the TV-Screen and getting all furious and obsessed about one single achievement that doesn't want to get unlocked.

I never go for online achievements. I go for all others though. I never give up on games I own no matter how difficult an achievement might be. When it comes to rentals though there has been a game or two where I just couldn't complete it. Beijing 2008 and Alien vs. Predator comes to mind.

I might pick those games up again somewhere along the line and say that I always pick up every achievement excluding online but that day is far in the future :)

I only go for the online achievements if it's highly possible to get them. It would be hard to try and get online achievements from games that most people don't play anymore.

I don't bother with extremely difficult (like Guitar Hero Expert mode) and buggy achievements either.

Currently working on Gears of War 3.

GT: DeadRedBaron

I usually try to get as many as I can when I play games. Unless the game gets crazy hard I usually won't give up. Sometimes I take a break from a game and come back. I beat Mass Effect and then finally went back to it a month ago to finish off Pinacle Station.

MP achievements I usually don't go back to. I'm not a fan of MP so I don't usually go out of my way to play it. It really depends on the game. Gears 3 I have gone for the MP achievements because you can do them in Private matches.

• 2 weeks later...

As many have said above, as soon as it stops being fun. Usually for me it's like this: play through game once to enjoy it, play through again once I unlock the hardest difficulty/NG+, and finally, mop up (if I'm still interested at this point). Most recently I went out and collected all the Lorestones in KoA:Reckoning because I really loved the game. LA Noire is a game that comes to mind which I was so sick of that there was no way I was collecting all that shit...actually I didn't even finish that game now that I think about it...