I have a confession...

Cpt Beanie

I sadly find this game very boring. I am an RPG fanatic and I simply love RPGs. However, the constant cutscenes and chatting between the characters really disrupts the gameplay for me. To me the game just feels slowwwwww. I'm disappointed because I WANT to like this game but I'm having trouble keeping focused. :(

You don't have to launch the skits if you think they disrupt the gameplay, but I found them entertaining so I always did. I dunno, the story was a bit of a letdown since it wasn't really anything new, just new paint on an old car if you will, but I thought the characters really held it together and the interactions were what really drove the story along.

i thought it was pretty good, very colorfull and drawn out landscapes. Story brought you in, could use alittle of touch up but what game doesnt really. The graphics and how it looked really what brought me more into it, and heck im a rpg freak...lol. But, is it slooow to you, or too long. As for me, i would rather have a long game then some short game with no explaining on what is going on or know how of characters. i just hate games when you dont get a clear idea or understandings of the characters, then the story seems empty and pointless. Just another money making game out to make a buck. More they chat or have conversation, the more you get a feel of the characters, but hey thats just my opponion. :) Im just waiting to get this done and play Infinite Undiscovery!!!!

I dunno, I'm fairly on the fence about this one so far. I'm still very early in, probably about 6 hours, and I've already had one hell of a problem with a boss fight, so much so I had to put it on easy to get past it (and get the secret mission achievement). It's kinda put me off, I LOVED Symphonia but I'm getting scared that the game is going to be abnormally diffuclt, or that I'm just awful at it. Hopefully I can get a good 3-4 hours to sit down with it at once to get into it this weekend or something, god knows the Lions are worth watching this Sunday...

I dunno, I'm fairly on the fence about this one so far. I'm still very early in, probably about 6 hours, and I've already had one hell of a problem with a boss fight, so much so I had to put it on easy to get past it (and get the secret mission achievement). It's kinda put me off, I LOVED Symphonia but I'm getting scared that the game is going to be abnormally diffuclt, or that I'm just awful at it. Hopefully I can get a good 3-4 hours to sit down with it at once to get into it this weekend or something, god knows the Lions are worth watching this Sunday...

If you're referring to the 3rd boss, I forget his name, but he's the big dog thing with the 2 cubs, then I think almost everyone had the same problem lol. In my opinion, it's not too difficult. It has it's moments though, but overall if you fight a fair amount of enemies and stay at a decent level you should be ok difficulty wise.

If you're referring to the 3rd boss, I forget his name, but he's the big dog thing with the 2 cubs, then I think almost everyone had the same problem lol. In my opinion, it's not too difficult. It has it's moments though, but overall if you fight a fair amount of enemies and stay at a decent level you should be ok difficulty wise.

Yeah, he was a total bastard. I got a few more hours in last night, and I spent over a half hour trying to launch Zagi over the side of the ship, and the way the guide says to do it is way too hard. But as a boss, he was nowhere near as difficult as the freakin dog.

I enjoyed this game a lot. I'm not sure if I like it better than Abyss, but as far as story I think I enjoyed Abyss' story a bit better. Though, Yuri isn't "emo" like Luke or Lloyd, they actually made a good hero in this game. In my opinion its Tales of the Abyss > Tales of Vesperia > Tales of Symphonia. TotA and ToV are pretty close though.

Hmm, if you're a big fan of RPGs though, how can you say that the cutscenes bore you? What makes an RPG an RPG is it's story. RPGs are generally long, yet fun. Perhaps it'll take you some time to absorb this particular story? Still, all FF games that I've played (which is just about all) had their fair share of cutscenes, side-quests, etc..

They need to constantly talk so you get a better idea of who you're controlling, their character, their personality and purpose. Otherwise it'd just be like those smug-face action movies. But perhaps it's as The Pants Party mentioned, and you're not into the skits. :p

Hmm, if you're a big fan of RPGs though, how can you say that the cutscenes bore you? What makes an RPG an RPG is it's story. RPGs are generally long, yet fun. Perhaps it'll take you some time to absorb this particular story? Still, all FF games that I've played (which is just about all) had their fair share of cutscenes, side-quests, etc.

They need to constantly talk so you get a better idea of who you're controlling, their character, their personality and purpose. Otherwise it'd just be like those smug-face action movies. But perhaps it's as The Pants Party mentioned, and you're not into the skits. :p

That's a misconception that needs to be shattered. I love RPGs for the variety of sidequests, the battle engine, the character customization, and other things like that. However, I've never picked up a Japanese RPG because the story looked interesting.

I've been playing Japanese RPGs since Dragon Warrior for the NES, and I can safely say that the stories are so cookie cutter it's not even funny. I've been aboard so many ghost ships, fought so many gods, endured so many battle arenas, explored so many ice caves, and had to listen to so many snotty sidekicks that I'm completely numb to all of that.

If you like the stories in JRPGs, I have no qualm with that, but that is not the determining factor in what makes an RPG worth playing.

That being said, I've played quite a few with great stories (Vagrant Story, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, SMT: Nocturne), but unfortunately, I regard the Tales series as a cliche-fest.

An incredibly fun cliche fest. :)

Edited by Dude Rain

Well then, personal preference. xD

Wow, had no idea there were so many 'ghost ships' in RPGs, heh. I would feel that's redundant and annoying, but still, RPGs in general have decent stories, at least the ones that I've played have. I suppose the problem is that many companies have begun re-using ideas.

I haven't played many JRPGs, it's really just FF or something similar, so I can't really defend that. But this game's story to me seems okay...it's a little out there, sure, but the plot's explained pretty well for my understanding.