Death March?

Anyone else being tortured by this ? Making very slow progress , and i'll admit mostly my fault but there is a cheapness to some of the many deaths.

Could do with some advice on how to make it less of a miserable save/reload fest.

So far the only tip I can offer is if fighting humans don't get off the horse and hold the attack button, if they are on horses get off use igni on their hoses and one shot them as they fall off.

Quen has 2 points in it and have the 500 HP upgrade but most encounters are based on a lot of rolling /dodging hoping I don't get hit from behind which is pretty much insta-death.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm finding this game very hard going and TBH i am NOT enjoying it at all, yes I understand that setting the game on the hardest setting means its going to be hard but it should be fun and its not, feels more like a chore :(

I have completed a great many games on the hardest setting but very very few feel this way.

What's not helping is the controls are way way to tight and unresponsive, the frame rate drops are also not helping much :(

I love RPG's its my may game type but this is just not going to keep me if its dosn't improve soon :(

I'm playing on Death March, and once you know what to do it gets quite easy that you don't really die much. A few tips:

1. Upgrade the Axii skill 'Puppet' to level three with large groups of enemies like humans and they will kill each other in one hit most of the time

2. Upgrade Igni skills mostly, and the exploding shield for Quen

3. Craft a greater blue mutagen to use with three Sign skills equipped to get +40% sign intensity

4. When fighting most of the high level monsters, use Quen then roll in for a few hits

until the shield is down then roll away and repeat

5. Buy enhanced Swallow and thunderbolt potion recipe in Novigrad, and the grapeshot bomb enhanced

6. Save often

i love this game, it is hard but i find it quite amusing, i just give the screen 2 fingers, laugh while muttering f*ck off game, then its back to the last save point, the only annoyance with that is sometimes the save points are a bit trivial and take you back quite a bit, so you have to remember to save after you have searched a container, or taken out a camp or whatever...

its a game of paper rock scissors really, the same tactics dont work on every creature or person, for instance i use the shiled power, run in give a few hits then roll out, rinse repeat, but at a low level sometimes one hit takes your shield down and a quick follow up leaves you dead.

I came across a bear in the first area, wasnt until i started using igni on it that it demolished me about 7 times in a row.

if im honest my biggest gripe with this game is the controls in some areas are a bit frustrating, my prime example being i jumped into a river to retrieve a hidden stash, then it took me near 25 minutes to get out, as if i went one way i got butchered by much higher level enemies, and it wouldnt register the ledge i was trying to get up on until it sort of glitched me , fired me about 30 foot in the air and i landed safely on the other side lol.

I've been finding Death March pretty fun so far, there have been times where I've gotten absolutely destroyed, but that's due to me thinking I can get in a shot or two when I couldn't.

I really like how varied the enemies are, there's been times where I've managed to easily dispose of monsters levels above me, while at times I've been killed by monsters at least 5 levels lower within seconds.

It really makes you think, and makes you realise that just because you're stronger than something, doesn't mean you're invincible.

To those finding trouble, if you haven't got it yet, I really recommend finding White Raffard's Decoction - it immediately restores a portion of Vitality and only inflicts 30 toxicity. It's managed to save me on numerous occasions. I wish I could say where to find it, but I don't remember where I discovered it.

5 Points in stronger fast attackt, upgrade quen, and the skill that allows to cast signs with adrenaline. This way you will almost always have a way to cast quen and go in to get some hits. Bombs are also awesome, the herbalist behind oxenfurt even sells some upgrade recipes for bombs.

Don't roll ever. Just dodge.

100% Disagreed. Roll for unblockable fast-mover attacks; dodge can still get you hit depending on what you're fighting. Some situations call for rolling, some for dodging (probably 25% roll, 75% dodge). Roll does slow stamina more, but you're just about guaranteed to never get hit (see other posts on wraith battles way above your level).

Parry is dangerous if you're fighting more than one enemy, so save it for the right occasion (if at all).

If you're comfortable with it, counterstrike against humans gives you easy criticals. If not, stay on the defensive.

Some great tips so far. The game has definitely gotten a little easier for me. Well I feel at least I have a little more breathing room now. Just finished doing the quest with the witch Keira. I was dreading the boss but once I took my time it was actually pretty easy. Nothing so far has made me want to drop the difficulty down but I've a feeling there will be far worse to come :D

Not sure if this was covered, but invest in Axii's Puppet skill 3/3.

I've only just started using it today and it's basically a guaranteed insta-kill on 1 enemy of a group; whether it's the Puppet killing someone in one hit, or a regular enemy taking out the Puppet for you.

I had good fun today finding out a good way to thin out a group of human enemies, especially if there is only one archer amongst them!

If you face a big group of enemies, you can quite often get one or two of them interested, and then lure them away from the rest of the group. Then the rest of the group often stands there waving their arms and shouting at you, except for the archers.

They will continue to shoot at you, but if you stand so that you have your lured enemy between you and the archer, quite often the archer kills them for you.

Then lure another one out, lead him in between you and the archer, and another one goes down! Rinse and repeat, then go and kill the archer.

By the way it helps if you have the combat perk that deflects arrows when holding block!

I did this with a bandit camp a few times today, and it's always fun imagining what would be going through the archers mind, "oh no I shot Dave, oh no, not jim too, oh my god I've killed Kenny too, aargh"

finding it challenging but doable. level 8 atm. my biggest annoyance is sometimes when you dodge or jump out the way and you clearly miss the enemies attack but it still hits you.. been killed a few times like that. the game could do with some polish

I just restarted on death march.tbh the key is dodge exploit there weakness and be patient when attacking look for gaps.ive put my first few skill points in too fast attack 1 in deflect arrows which helps.and just keep casting quen use swallow potion.

Deflect Arrows? I've 20 hours done ..... albeit dodging the main quest and doing any side quests for gear and xp but could count on one had the amount of arrows that came at me, is there something I don't know? So far for me with bandits if on foot it's stay on the horse and 1 shot them, if they are on horses get off and spook the horse with igni and 1 shot them as they lie prone.

Deflect Arrows? I've 20 hours done ..... albeit dodging the main quest and doing any side quests for gear and xp but could count on one had the amount of arrows that came at me, is there something I don't know? So far for me with bandits if on foot it's stay on the horse and 1 shot them, if they are on horses get off and spook the horse with igni and 1 shot them as they lie prone.

what do you mean by one shot?

Not sure if this was covered, but invest in Axii's Puppet skill 3/3.

I've only just started using it today and it's basically a guaranteed insta-kill on 1 enemy of a group; whether it's the Puppet killing someone in one hit, or a regular enemy taking out the Puppet for you.

This. After using the Axii puppet skill I realized how vital it was gonna be for death march.

I don't think i'll put a single attribute in to the alchemy section. I'm actually not a very big fan of the attribute system. Leveling up just seems like a choir rather than a satisfying experience.

This. After using the Axii puppet skill I realized how vital it was gonna be for death march.

I don't think i'll put a single attribute in to the alchemy section. I'm actually not a very big fan of the attribute system. Leveling up just seems like a choir rather than a satisfying experience.

I'm just levelling my Quen stuff and combat. Done the sun n stars and extra vitality as well. Currently level 10.

The Axii Puppet skill is by far the most helpful thing, I don't even use Quen anymore, I just let the enemies kill each other and if it's a one-on-one battle, I can take control of almost any enemy in the game and attack them without them fighting back. There's been less than a handful of enemies that's managed to resist.

Sorry for the Necro...

But I just have to add in that I'm absolutely loving Death March!

I don't know if it's because I played Bloodborne before this and I'm just used to it, but even though I've died a ridiculous amount of times (probably 100+ and I've not even finished Novigrad's main story missions) I'm really enjoying it.

I genuinely don't know how anyone could be enjoying it on lower difficulties, enemies must do literally like no damage lol...

The fact you essentially HAVE to study up your enemies and learn what oils, signs, bombs, decoctions, potions to use and help you adds so much to the depth of combat.

(which is saying something because I couldn't play witcher 2 for it's terrible combat IMO)

Then if you do die, it's not a matter of "fuck sake shit game", it really feels like "right, how could I have handled that opponent differently and what did I do wrong"

SLIGHT SPOILERS: For example, just last night I was in Novigrad doing Sigi something's questline, about the vault break in, and I had to take Triss to the Witch Hunters, they said they'd torture her and I tried to Axii in a crowd to stop it (yes I now know that was a dumb idea).

After that cock up I had to fight every. last. witch hunter. Including Menge the head honcho.

This was the first time I truly struggled but I learned a lot about combo-ing different bombs and signs and it took around 10 attempts to find the best strategy. Didn't even lose a controller/tv/xbone!