What do yall think of this game?

x ChRiiS

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am a great fan of the silent hill games, but homecoming i found quite boring and not as scary, its like they just had no more ideas anymore. I played it halfway then got bored. I dunno maybe i shall rent it again and try and play all the way. But this one just seems like a failure for silent hill, sorry to the fans of this game, but this is my thought on it

• 3 months later...
Im a fan on survival horror and I wanted to know what yall thought of Silent Hill Homecoming. I can't find it anywhere to rent so I would have to buy it. Is it worth it?

No, it's not. If you are a fan of the old Silent Hill games it's just a slap to the face to them. It's more of a video game adaption of the film. The story is bland and uninteresting, with a Silent Hill 2 "twist" at the end. Don't get me wrong, I love Silent Hill 2. It's my favorite game. But in order to do the twist, you have to do it in a certain way.

Spoilers!!!

In Silent Hill 2, James slowly started to realize what had happened to Mary until the video tape which gave away everything. In Silent Hill: Homecoming however, you are given no idea beforehand and at the end it was just more of a random, "Josh is dead, you killed him."

End Spoilers

There was absolutely no reason for Red Pyramid being in that game, or I guess I should call him by his laughable name in Silent Hill: Homecoming Bogeyman. Bogeyman was just there because of how many people thought he was awesome in the movie, as is noticeable through the fact that he looks exactly as he did in the movie.

The characters were just as boring as the storyline and wore uniforms that were the exact uniforms as in the movie. The only way they even got away with it and most Silent Hill fans are okay with it, they called their religious group The Order which is from Silent Hill 3. Almost every single thing in Silent Hill: Homecoming was from the movie in some way. I went through it again just recently to see how bad they were about it and it was hard to find a time when it wasn't taking something from the movie.

Half of the times I wanted to turn off the music for how bad it was. I used to love Akira Yamaoka's music until it got to Silent Hill 3 when Mary Elizabeth McGlynn joined and I am guessing he felt like he needed songs that sounded like they should have been on the radio and not in a horror game.

The controls were bad, even for a Survival Horror game. And the lack of an inverted control scheme makes it even worse.

The fighting was absolutely terrible. I mean, once you got used to the dodging it became laughably easy even on Hard.

The inventory screens were horrific. The old Silent Hill inventory screen was extremely easy to use, why they turned it into a chore to navigate I will never know. And the idea of a limited amount of ammunition might have made sense if you weren't carrying so much. At one time once you get all of the weapons, excluding special weapons, you will be carrying a Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle, Crowbar, Axe and Knife. I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting one or two but you get the point. Yet you can only carry two clips for each weapon? That makes no sense.

However, all of the bad I could have gotten past if I hadn't thought of it as a Silent Hill game. But the biggest deal-breaker for me was the lack of scares. It relied too heavily on trying to do jump scares which was never what Silent Hill has been about.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I Thought this game was Good, builds up A Steady Storyline, Classic enemies Which Are Always Fun To Kill, Not a game like resident evil Where You Take On 100 Enemies At Once Easily, i Love The Puzzle Element Of The game And Did Enjoy Completeing This game A Few Times, the Only thing I Found Annoying Is The Achievements For All The Endings Lil Long To Do, Obviously Its Easy When you Save It And Reload It But Still A Great game Very Eerie Atmosphere Thoughly Enjoyed.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This was a definite hit for me. I'm a pretty visual person and I really was drooling over the creature design (mostly the bosses of course but I'll give some love to the reg. monsters).

The story wasn't half bad either and I love the fact that there were a bunch of alternate endings. I'm currently playing through on hard to finish up the 1000 score and am looking forward to the alternate endings (I know I can look them up on youtube but that takes the fun out of it!)

I've not played the previous games but i find this one to be rather good. I tried to play the game on hard from the start......don't do that if you ain't really good at it x) I'm stuck at the Grand hotel with no health at all so I think that I'll just replay it on normal then hit hard :p Otherwise I actually find it rather scary x)

• 2 months later...
I never played a Silent Hill game before it. At the time, I was only interested in the game because it was banned in Australia, so I imported it from the U.K. and enjoyed the experience.

I heard about that ban... That sucks since it is the only Xbox-360 SH game atm :p

Though, in my opinion, Homecoming was the worst Silent Hill game to be released. It was basically a copy of the recently released movie, all ideas coming from that and the first game, little originality. Also, there seemed to be too much emphasis on combat, which is not what Silent Hill normally has... I personally never finished it, it seemed to be a mockery to one of my favorite game series.

Oh and don't get me wrong, I am not one of those "only the first 2-3 games were good" I loved every game released (except maybe Origins:p) its just that Homecoming doesn't come close to the others.

• 4 months later...

I thought it was really good. I liked the messed up creatures and really like the story / backstory of all the stuff going on. While it wasn't perfect, it certainly doesn't deserve all the hate I've seen it get. Worth buying in my opinion. http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

• 11 months later...

I think it could have been a lot better, especially because it had taken a lot of the visuals and ideas from the first film. I actually had a lot of trouble playing it at first, because I had no idea what the combat system was like, and the fact that there was no way to change the controls to be inverted, other than in aiming, which was troublesome.

The story itself seems sub par compared to the other games, but considering it wasn't made by the same people as, say, Silent Hill 2, it was actually still creepy and did have SH-esque goodness.

The boss designs were actually the best part, I think. I remember being so creeped out by Scarlet even though I'd seen gifs and such of her and the other bosses months before I'd even thought about picking it up for myself.

I'd say 6/10. It was good, but not great.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Homecoming was the first Silent Hill I played. I also tried 2, 3 and Downpour. I like Homecoming the most.

I didn't find the combat part really troublesome; instead I considered it challenging. On Youtube I saw a player who could deal with 3 Schisms at one time and almost took no damage in the entire fight. The combat part isn't broken; it just demands more patience and skills.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...