Epic Still Fighting For UT3 Mods on 360

Jdm

Epic Still Fighting For UT3 Mods on 360

http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/01/ut3_logo_sm.jpg

After finally getting around to loading my copy of UT3 for PS3 last weekend, I can really appreciate just how easily Epic made downloading elements during multiplayer—it feels just as simple as it did years ago on PC. But Epic is still fighting the good fight to bring this same level of PC integration to the Xbox 360 version of their game. From Mark Rein:

...we're hopeful. Microsoft hasn't said "no" yet, but then they haven't said "yes" either. We need them to say "yes," and we need them to do it soon.

So what happens if Epic can't strike a deal with Microsoft?

If it doesn't work out with Xbox 360, depending on sales of the game on that platform, I imagine we'll find a few of the best mods and get them on Xbox Live Marketplace. I don't think 360 users are going to suffer drastically - they're just going to miss out on a lot of crazy, cool fun stuff and the ability to exchange it among themselves. They may also end up paying for content that is free on other systems because Microsoft now has to host it and certify it.

Oohh, that's pretty much exactly not what we wanted to hear.

http://kotaku.com/351204/epic-still-fighting-for-ut3-mods-on-360

• 3 weeks later...

WOW, thats really dumb. Microsoft is willing to pay Rockstar money to get content only for Xbox 360 but they cant cut epic some slack on one of the best series' ever made. I think if it does come out and we don't get free mods and player created stuff I might just not get it on the 360. I've been thinking about getting it on the PC anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Since its inception, Mark Rein made it clear that one of the deciding factors of developing Unreal Tournament 3 for the Sony PlayStation 3 is its online infrastructure which allows easy access to mods. Now that Midway and Epic Games' frantic first-person shooter is almost set to explode on the Microsoft Xbox 360, Rein is saying mods may actually come to the console after all.

During the Midway Gamers' Day event (the epicenter of Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe's earth shattering reveal), Epic's head honcho said user-generated content for Unreal Tournament 3 on 360 is not out of the question. To quoute:

We know some of these great mods are going to play a role on Xbox 360, even if we have to get some people and bring them over ourselves. We'll figure it out.

Unfortunately, Rein did clarify user mods won't be included when Unreal Tournament 3 launches on the console. There are talks between Epic and Microsoft, but no confirmation of mods being distributed for free or purchasable by Microsoft Points like other downloadable content on the platform.

Epic really want mods on the 360! :)

Source: http://xbox360.qj.net/Mark-Rein-mods-to-play-major-role-in-Unreal-Tournament-3-on-360/pg/49/aid/118543

But sadly, with the games release drawing closer the chances of "Microsoft and Epic" working anything out with mods is slim to zero. Even if they try and bring some over, thats not true mod support nor will they continue to do that a year after UT3's release. All in all, since i don't own a PS3 i had hoped that with the extra development time they could have worked a way to get real mod support in the 360 version but it just isn't going to happen. Really disappointing.

But sadly, with the games release drawing closer the chances of "Microsoft and Epic" working anything out with mods is slim to zero. Even if they try and bring some over, thats not true mod support nor will they continue to do that a year after UT3's release. All in all, since i don't own a PS3 i had hoped that with the extra development time they could have worked a way to get real mod support in the 360 version but it just isn't going to happen. Really disappointing.

I believe Mods will not be Supported on Release but has been said it may end up begin possible later on :) I really do hope so otherwise MS is missing out on something big for the 360

• 4 weeks later...
according to my new xbox magazine this week, they think the 360 verison will be cancelled.

wouldnt doubt it, MS is too damn controlling...they should just allow mods and let people have fun with what they pay for -_- i probably wont be getting UT3 if it does come out for the 360...rent it yeah but not buy it, ill buy it for the PS3 when i get one.

• 2 weeks later...
WOW, thats really dumb. Microsoft is willing to pay Rockstar money to get content only for Xbox 360 but they cant cut epic some slack on one of the best series' ever made. I think if it does come out and we don't get free mods and player created stuff I might just not get it on the 360. I've been thinking about getting it on the PC anyway.

I know how u feel, mind u, remember that gta is a far bigger franchise and is much more well known in comparison with ut. I think its more of a matter of opinion about ut3 being a big franchise, i know its big but the activity on these threadsd is far from admirable and so i'm actually concerned about the sales that the 360 will make, i hope there are similar amounts of people online on this game as there are in halo or cod4, i guess it depends on how many halo players fancy making the journey to ut3.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't care about the mods,i have the ps3 version and the mods are a joke,to install them you have to them put on a memory stick and you can only put one at a time theres is no ingame menu to get mods which i think is a joke and when you run a server with mods no-one joins at all because you can't download them off of each other

i don't care about the mods,i have the ps3 version and the mods are a joke,to install them you have to them put on a memory stick and you can only put one at a time theres is no ingame menu to get mods which i think is a joke and when you run a server with mods no-one joins at all because you can't download them off of each other

init mate.. and most of the levels were awful ..

Hallelujah!!! Somebody finally stated the obvious...regarding FC:Instincts-Predator. That game had a map editor and for those who did not play that game...you could host a game on your own map and anybody who joined would be prompted to download that map before they could actually start playing. It was simply saved to your HDD and you could delete it as soon as the game was over. Honestly,...the game was on the verge of terrible and the "map editor" was the only thing that truly saved it. I saw some truly AMAZING pieces in that game. There was a guy who completely recreated "Hang Em' High" from Halo 1 and renamed it "Hang Em' Cry". It was a a perfect recreation. To think that Microsoft is going to deny this feature is a disgrace. Maybe they are afraid that the content could contain viruses and inevitably wreck LIVE for several days. Whatever their fear is...they need to get over it. The Far Cry map editor is what Halo's Forge SHOULD have been. The Forge is actually really weak. In Bungie's defense...Saved Films should be a requirement...just like achievements...in EVERY game released on 360!!! It's THAT important. By the way...anybody see where the PS3 in Japan has a deal in place with YouTube where a gamer can submit videos from any game he/she is playing live...and on the fly? It's the truth!!!

Lets be honest here how many of you have seen the mods that were made? I saw a few and they were poor, there is the odd good one and tbh I still wouldn't bother fannying about between my laptop and my 360 with files and shit, not to mention the hazard of viruses and all that stuff and I for one don't want that to happen to the 360 it would be awful.