So a review is in

MADasaHatter

From Ign

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1088076p1.html

I don't really take ign to seriousley because they tend to botch some reviews on personal preference. But some of the things stated were the concerns I had with the demo.

Things largely unravel from there. The controls remains as clunky as they were last time around, and deviate from the standard third person layout in perplexing ways. Want to melee? That's the B button. Want to run? Well, that's also the B button. Want to activate that data post or Vital Suit? We've got a B button for that. The grappling hook (or anchor) can still only be used with feet planted firmly on the ground, and your character jumps like their pockets are full of rocks. Every animation is over-emphasized to the point of getting in the way of playing the game. Even worse, you'll often be forced to endure agonizing waits as you hammer the B or circle buttons at data posts, or impatiently sit in a Vital Suit while it goes through an activation sequence that repeats every time you enter it. The new multi-seat VS are cool in concept, but must be deactivated for more users to jump on.

And this gets me as well

Another problematic area is the game's level design. Lost Planet 2 is split into 6 episodes of multiple chapters each, and each chapter has several missions. There are no checkpoints between missions, meaning you'll need to complete a full chapter to save your progress in Lost Planet 2, which can often take more than an hour to play through. This means that should you die near the end of a chapter trying to figure out what the game wants you to do, which it never really does, you'll have to play the whole thing over again.

There's also no jump-in co-op, as new players will be forced to wait in a lobby until the other players in the game reach the next mission in a chapter before they can join the session. Campaign levels feel like multiplayer maps populated by enemy soldiers and akrid, and little attention to balance difficulty or fairness is apparent. Expect to die over and over at certain points as enemy akrid or vital suits camp your spawn points.

All this and it got a 6.0 which is unbelievable. I'm sure (at least I'm hoping) they undersold it. It boasts a 14+ hour campaign with a whole bunch of multiplayer maps and co-op support (though flawed as it may seem). I'm still getting it and will be playing until RDR comes out. I'm really interested on what the other sites say.

Not surprised at all. Both demos were clunky as hell and full with problems imo. There is no way i go and pay full price for this, especially on the month of Red Dead and Alan Wake. :Bounce:

Maybe after months will give it a try, when the price drops drastically.

Don't get me wrong- I'm a big fan of the first and was enjoying the demo. But the fact that reviewers have said the same things I've had a problem with is telling- the tiny annoyances that bugged me (and a few other people- stumbling while being shot etc.) I thought were going to be ironed out.

I'm sure I'll still enjoy it but I foresee a bunch of bitching threads cropping up next week.

from x360a

Whether you'll stick around long enough to procure every one of Lost Planet 2's ridiculous achievements is another matter entirely however. It's one of the stupidest lists we've ever seen, and one for serial killers and mental cases only. Reaching level 99 with every character faction will take literally forever and defeating 3000 Akrid requires several playthroughs, as do most of the achievements in fact. To anyone who manages to complete the whole list and garner the full 1000, congratulations! You're certifiably insane!

:p:p:p

honestly I didnt like the first at all...and to hear that the 2nd is getting 6's all around doesnt make me want to give it another shot by playing the 1st again or trying second

I actually thought the first was great and enjoyed it. Multiplayer was pretty good also. I've been playing the second one and am disapointed. The campaign is too much designed for multiplayer and kinda says fuc# u if u wanna play it alone. It took me about half an hour to beat the first category g akrid cos of the dumb AI. That alone pisses me off cos I don't want to rely on other fuc#ing people to play a game. So if u wanna play alone its not a good game for you. I'll probably give it a shot on the multiplayer cos the first had a very good multiplayer version. But as a single player campaign, forget it..............unfortunately!:(

What really kills me is the save system. Having to play over an hour before I can save and shut off the game is just too much for me unless I only play it on the weekend. Add in the other issues that I see in reviews and it's just not worth it.

But honestly, anyone surprised that a jap dev screwed up basic gameplay designs?

I have to say that I was surprised by such low scores. I enjoyed Lost Planet 1's demo, didn't like the final product. Didn't like the first LP2 demo but got a little excited by the co op video released a month or so ago. For the people who've played the final product, is it a bad game?

People still read IGN reviews? Huh. I haven't played this game yet (though I might rent it) but I liked what I've seen so far. And I think alot of people aren't giving it a chance purely for one stupid reason, they don't like the achievements. Seriously guys...they don't define games. Even though I get them and occasionally play some stuff to boost my score quick, I've never come to a standpoint where I've said "Wow look at those achievements...too hard for me so this game will suck". Utterly ridiculous.

People still read IGN reviews? Huh. I haven't played this game yet (though I might rent it) but I liked what I've seen so far. And I think alot of people aren't giving it a chance purely for one stupid reason, they don't like the achievements. Seriously guys...they don't define games. Even though I get them and occasionally play some stuff to boost my score quick, I've never come to a standpoint where I've said "Wow look at those achievements...too hard for me so this game will suck". Utterly ridiculous.

well I think its one of those things when your on the fence about getting it.....you kind of want it and you kind of dont...then you see the achievements and that just pushes you over to the not want side

I mean thats my view when I use achievement lists or reviews in my game buying decisions

Its not really a bad game, it can be frustating, people are used to hard games anymore, but consider this game a challenge, it can be infuriating, but also rewarding.

I thinks its a game of 80%/100 , if i was more fun and not so frustating it would have much better scores.

I just canceled my pre-ordered copy. I never played the first one, LOVED the coop demo but didn't care much for the multiplayer one.

The fact that the coop system doesn't seem too easy to work around (not jumping in a game, etc.), the AI is weak, no save system, and the chievos totally ludicrous were enough for me.

You can have a hard game with a decent save system - for me, starting over from scratch when you die is not an added difficulty factor, but an added nuisance.

Real shame 'cause I was looking forward to this game since the coop demo came out last August...

Edited by MACdanstaface

it can be infuriating, but also rewarding

I can't tell if this is the case for LP2 since I haven't played it. But as a general rule, for me this doesn't sound so much rewarding in the sense of an accomplishment, as a relief for getting over something really annoying (or "infuriating")... Not my idea of fun with video games.

I can't tell if this is the case for LP2 since I haven't played it. But as a general rule, for me this doesn't sound so much rewarding in the sense of an accomplishment, as a relief for getting over something really annoying (or "infuriating")... Not my idea of fun with video games.

Well its not really infuriating, you just gotta learn some paterns, and build a good amount of plasma heat , to help you heal during boss batles.;)

There was a review of this as far back as two weeks ago, in Gamesmaster magazine (UK).

They gave it 79%. I can't be bothered to do an entire write up, so will just list their GM Loves/GM Hates bit they do at the end:

GM Loves:

Experiencing the transformation in gameplay once playing co-op.

Cat G bosses are amazing.

Vital Suits are ace.

GM Hates:

Idiotic AI teammates.

Having to replay an entire chapter when killed by a boss monster.

Inconsistent level design.

Graphics: 89% Lots of level variety, cool mechs and awesome monsters.

Gameplay: 79% Great in co-op but a flawed single player experience.

Lifespan: 85% The campaign mode is lengthy but you'll want to replay the boss fights.

My copy was dispatched today, much to my chagrin as I thought I'd cancelled the pre-order. I guess I'll play it for a few days now and then trade it in towards Red Dead before it loses value.

To me the campaign doesn't feel like a campaign. It kinda feels like a big post grab mp game. There are good parts but as mentioned above the save system is just complete wank! So far 7/10, and the first Lost Planet I would rate 8.5/10.

Even though I get them and occasionally play some stuff to boost my score quick, I've never come to a standpoint where I've said "Wow look at those achievements...too hard for me so this game will suck". Utterly ridiculous.

Not the case for me. Achievements are not the issue as I haven't even bothered looking at them. For me its what they have done to the single player campaign or should I say the lack of single player campaign. If you like playing a game all the time in co-op then you'll have a blast.