Mark of the Gods guide

Auburok

There are some areas I simply cannot find (e.g. Underworld: City of the Dead) through trial and error, which is incredibly frustrating.

City of the Dead is easy to locate. It's Mark #15, which is right after Mark #14... It's pretty easy to assume that the Underground River should lead to City of the Dead, then. Same basic techniques can be used to understand the other maps.

Edit: Saw your reply to me. It sounds like you are relying too much on the maps (made in order of acquisition) to determine your location, which is what's getting you turned around. You may want to simply close the guide after filling out the sort of information I offered above... or at least give your brain a rest. I could never acquire achievements very well when I was flustered with them.

Edited by IDiivil

City of the Dead is easy to locate. It's Mark #15, which is right after Mark #14... It's pretty easy to assume that the Underground River should lead to City of the Dead, then. Same basic techniques can be used to understand the other maps.

Edit: Saw your reply to me. It sounds like you are relying too much on the maps (made in order of acquisition) to determine your location, which is what's getting you turned around. You may want to simply close the guide after filling out the sort of information I offered above... or at least give your brain a rest. I could never acquire achievements very well when I was flustered with them.

Yeah, I've taken a break for a few hours. In a minute I think I'll give it another try. I was just too mentally exhausted to start all over and make an exhaustive list. As for relying on the maps, yeah... I wasn't really sure what else to do because the written guide is meant to be used in tandem with progressing through the game, whereas I've already beaten the fourth boss. The written guide makes perfect sense if you don't have all the abilities and therefore you can only go one way at that point in the guide, but for me I could go ANYWHERE on the map and so I'm not sure which exit I'm supposed to take. And if I knew the game well enough to have memorized when/where you get all the abilities I could figure it out, but I don't, so yeah...

Looks like the list (or starting over - ew) is my only option for now. Regardless, thanks for the help.

I'm not asking for that, I just think future users of this guide might like a brief sentence for how to get to each area. I don't think it's fair to just "assume" we know how to get to each area. There are some areas I simply cannot find (e.g. Underworld: City of the Dead) through trial and error, which is incredibly frustrating. Like I said, I've already tried to do this without asking for help, but it just resulted in hours of frustration and a migraine headache.

From reading the guide, and looking at the mark placement on the map, you can see that City of the Dead is after Underground River. I don't leave a mark empty (0/1) or say "Nothing here yet". Underground River can be found by going through Buried Empire. I'm not even playing the game to tell you this; I'm using the guide posted here. Seriously. I haven't played Underworld in over a week. Just reading the guide, and using the maps. The only area I have memorized is Jungle, just because I had to play it so damn much to beat Rcade junkE's score.

I'll push through the frustration then, as I want to finish this game ASAP so I can move on to another game...

I'm sorry if you don't enjoy the game. I personally don't play games I don't like, but could be worse: there could be no guide. I originally only took up the achievement guide, but no one stepped up to take on the marks, so I did it. I'm juggling a lot here, and no one is really specific other than the entrances bit on the maps, which is taken care of by the guide. If you'd like to help improve it, please give specific improvements. "This guide needs this, because that's what my problem is". If you need entrances written down, say it. If you need more descriptive instructions on backtracking, say it. Going in to an area over and over to me doesn't say anything as a whole to me, other than you personally are getting lost because you're having trouble keeping track of where you are. Trial and error doesn't speak for itself, unless you do have a control and a variable. Which there isn't here.

but for future reference, the request I made above would help. I don't know why you think we want paragraphs and paragraphs written about each Mark, we just don't know how to navigate the map which makes this infinitely harder.

I get that impression because people get lost with the guide and don't really explain how other than "I got lost". The guide and maps are to be used together. They aren't helpful on their own unless you are a master of the game, which makes the point moot.

A guide should be used to help you play the game, not do it for you. There's no way to remove all effort on the guide reader's end. You still have to be able to play the game you're trying to use a guide for. I can't honestly believe you spent the amount of time you claim to be in particular areas while being lost. The game's not that big. Hell, you can entirely finish the Jungle area's story section in easily under 20 minutes (it's an achievement, after all). The only section that's much larger is Sky, and the guide is very detailed in terms of backtracking for those marks (along with some city marks).

I'm sorry you're not enjoying the exploration aspect of this game (which is pretty fun, if you like 2D games like Metroid, Castlevania, Shadow Complex, etc) but maybe you've picked a game takes you a little extra work for you personally because it doesn't just "click". There's a lot of other games like this, and guides are about the same. Out of all the places I've linked it to, the complaints I get about getting lost all originate on this website. So without any hard feedback specifically stating "I knew what to do once I had this information", I'm at a loss besides redoing the maps.

EDIT:

You could compromise by just asking me where you need to get to. I could specifically give you directions if I know where you're trying to go. Just saying "I'm lost" without any indication of where you're trying to get to requires a total rework rather than an explanation.

Edited by Auburok

From reading the guide, and looking at the mark placement on the map, you can see that City of the Dead is after Underground River. I don't leave a mark empty (0/1) or say "Nothing here yet". Underground River can be found by going through Buried Empire. I'm not even playing the game to tell you this; I'm using the guide posted here. Seriously. I haven't played Underworld in over a week. Just reading the guide, and using the maps. The only area I have memorized is Jungle, just because I had to play it so damn much to beat Rcade junkE's score.

Mainly the problem was I was in the room in Underworld (Crypt, maybe?) where there are four different level transitions and I was really struggling to remember which ones led where, and my forgetfulness was causing me to run around in circles all over the Underworld level. Most of the levels only had an entrance and then an exit, but ones like Crypt really tripped me up.

I get that impression because people get lost with the guide and don't really explain how other than "I got lost".

I've been running around on SO many different levels that they all kind of blended together, and I couldn't have told you which specific ones (other than that one), or I would have, trust me. When I'm asking somebody to go out of their way to help me, I give as much information as I can give. Sorry for not explaining it well, because that was certainly my fault. My brain was rather scrambled after those hours of confusion to the point where I wasn't sure how to explain it clearly. Hell, I still don't know how to explain it clearly. I feel guilty for even saying anything now because I know you just want to help and that you're getting frustrated with me since you don't know what else to do.

I'm sorry if you don't enjoy the game. I personally don't play games I don't like.

I'm sorry you're not enjoying the exploration aspect of this game (which is pretty fun, if you like 2D games like Metroid, Castlevania, Shadow Complex, etc) but maybe you've picked a game takes you a little extra work for you personally because it doesn't just "click". There's a lot of other games like this, and guides are about the same. Out of all the places I've linked it to, the complaints I get about getting lost all originate on this website. So without any hard feedback specifically stating "I knew what to do once I had this information", I'm at a loss besides redoing the maps.

What makes you think I don't like the game? This one achievement was frustrating, but that doesn't mean I haven't been having a blast with the game. I say I want to move on to the next thing because while I'm having fun with this game, I've got a huge backlog and the only time for me to really put a dent in it is during my Summer vacation, which just started. Don't get it twisted... this is pretty much one of my favorite games ever. ;)

The exploration wasn't really the problem, it's the backtracking and the level design and the fact that I didn't understand how the levels come together. Maybe I'm just stupid, but simply looking at the guide didn't help me (personally) with this particular issue or I would have done that in the first place and saved us both the frustration of breaching this subject.

I can't honestly believe you spent the amount of time you claim to be in particular areas while being lost. The game's not that big. Hell, you can entirely finish the Jungle area's story section in easily under 20 minutes (it's an achievement, after all). The only section that's much larger is Sky, and the guide is very detailed in terms of backtracking for those marks (along with some city marks).

Please don't do me the disservice of calling me a liar. I have no reason to :| I don't play 2D platformers--like, ever--and while I consider myself decent at the game, the later levels take me some time to get through. And like I said, I did go through Origin - Sky, round and round in circles, MANY times, so yes, I did spend several hours total looking for the mark without finding it before I had to take a break.

After I gave my brain a bit of a rest, I picked it back up and found the last mark I needed was in Eternity--which I thought I'd cleared all the marks in. Just thought I'd let you guys know. Again, I'm honestly sorry for even bringing this up in the first place and for being a bother. Thanks for the guide, in any case.

The exploration wasn't really the problem, it's the backtracking and the level design and the fact that I didn't understand how the levels come together.

I guess by compromise I could make a sub-guide for backtracking. I'm not sure how successful I could be with that. Underworld is split in the beginning level between the left side, and the bottom side. I can't remember where the teleports are, though. They may be pushed to one of the halves, which would make the backtrack guide just sort of glaze over them in favor for the side with less/no teleports. Can't remember clearly as it's been a while in the Underworld.

Please don't do me the disservice of calling me a liar. I have no reason to :| I don't play 2D platformers--like, ever--and while I consider myself decent at the game, the later levels take me some time to get through. And like I said, I did go through Origin - Sky, round and round in circles, MANY times, so yes, I did spend several hours total looking for the mark without finding it before I had to take a break.

I didn't call you a liar. I just had a hard time believing as much time was spent in circles considering how short the game seemed to me. Like many the first time around: when I missed a mark, I just ran through the game all over from start to finish (except I realized I missed the secret Jungle area the first time around getting that mark). A break often helps with any game. I want to make the guide more accessible so I'm not coming to the forum a year from now to explain things, so preventing someone from going in circles is in my best interest, especially in this case where it gave you a headache. Not exactly something I'd want to come from my guide's use, right? It's also desirable that my guide have additional coverage on problematic or marks that are missed more often than others.

After I gave my brain a bit of a rest, I picked it back up and found the last mark I needed was in Eternity--which I thought I'd cleared all the marks in. Just thought I'd let you guys know. Again, I'm honestly sorry for even bringing this up in the first place and for being a bother. Thanks for the guide, in any case.

You're not a bother; like I said, I'm looking for hard feedback to amend or delete as needed. I'm just eager to fix infinite search loops my guide might have started. That's all. I'd rather this guide be the end-all solution than one of many: works for some, not all. While the maps need to be redone at some point to incorporate energy and life upgrades (probably no info in the guide, though, because of character limits) and including zone names by popular demand, there's still the select few (not including you) that imply they want additional directions, but don't specify if they mean more text, or arrows on the map, or anything at all, really. You seem more verbose than the last ones, so I picked your brain.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the guide. People can choose to use what is here or not, if you don't like it then don't use it, simple as that. Honestly, you spent a lot of time putting this together, there is no way to explain or write a guide that every person will 100% understand it.

That being said, thanks very much for your hard work putting this together!

ps. with this guide (mostly used the pictures) i went from 26 to 42 in about 1 hour! :D

Edited by PeRFeCK

• 2 weeks later...
how can i reach the lowlands? from where?

it's the only white icon on my worldmap...

thanks!

errata corrige. i've reached the lowlands, anyway remains a white icon on the worldmap.

i can't understad which map is.....

errata corrige. i've reached the lowlands, anyway remains a white icon on the worldmap.

i can't understad which map is.....

i think you may be thinking of the hidden jungle level "on the treetops" because it was the only white teleport spot for me for awhile as well until i discovered it.... on another note...thanks for this guide! it helped me clean up the few i had missed on my first playthrough very easily thanks to the maps!

• 4 weeks later...

Auburok your guide looks perfect. I skimmed through it, and it is a very detailed guide and the screens you took only add more to that detail. If I were you I would just ignore all the people complaining about not knowing how to get to certain areas. There is nothing you can do about other peoples laziness, if they don't want to sit down and search for the areas where they haven't gotten all the masks well then I guess they just aren't getting the damn achievement. That's how life works, don't sweat it bruh. You did more than enough.

• 1 month later...

Great guide here, really helped find the last few that I was missing and get me the achievement as well as the sword upgrade. It was really disappointing that the sword did not change colors or something, maybe get longer or have a new sound effect, oh well thanks again for the guide, very helpful with the text and pics!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...