Why the **** does this game get so much hate?

SwampertTheGreat

I really don't understand why this game gets so much hate. The hedgehog levels were pretty damn good and while the werehog levels were boring I didn't think they were horrible. Story and characters were decent imo and the game also had a pretty good soundtrack. This game definitively wasn't great but it was decent.

• 4 months later...

I think its because we now have Generations to compare it too.

We have levels that don't fall into the trial and error category, two types of gameplay that while different don't stray from what a Sonic game is supposed to be, and a story that while more bare-bones actually focuses on Sonic characters instead of ANOTHER one-shot (annoying) sidekick and god of destruction.

• 1 month later...
I think its because we now have Generations to compare it too.

We have levels that don't fall into the trial and error category, two types of gameplay that while different don't stray from what a Sonic game is supposed to be, and a story that while more bare-bones actually focuses on Sonic characters instead of ANOTHER one-shot (annoying) sidekick and god of destruction.

Nah, that's not the reason. People been hating on this game ever since it came out.

I also wonder why. The day stages were awesome and the Night stages weren't that bad either. At least it's unique, and that's what I like about video games. Also, if we just had Day Stages, this game would've been shorter than generations, and then people would be complaining about that :l

Besides, this game got one of my favorite OST and level design, and probably one of the best Stories in Sonic History too. People should look at the whole game instead of just the werehog and then come back with an opinion.

Nah, that's not the reason. People been hating on this game ever since it came out.

I also wonder why. The day stages were awesome and the Night stages weren't that bad either. At least it's unique, and that's what I like about video games. Also, if we just had Day Stages, this game would've been shorter than generations, and then people would be complaining about that :l

Besides, this game got one of my favorite OST and level design, and probably one of the best Stories in Sonic History too. People should look at the whole game instead of just the werehog and then come back with an opinion.

I'm sorry but i can't agree with the story being one of the best. Where the hell did all the characters go ? you would have thought with the planet breaking apart like that they rest of the characters would somehow have got involved. That was my ONLY real problem with the game.

I think the game is great but i can understand why people don't like the Werehog levels, they are too slow and the levels are far too long.

I loved the game overall though as i do with all Sonic games.

I'm sorry but i can't agree with the story being one of the best. Where the hell did all the characters go ? you would have thought with the planet breaking apart like that they rest of the characters would somehow have got involved. That was my ONLY real problem with the game.

You should never dig too deep into a Sonic Story :p After all, I thought the moon was blown up in Sonic Adventure 2 but hey, it's alive again. And where's Angel Island on this world map?

I can see what you mean with the characters, but I'm fine with it actually. It would have been better with Shadow and Knuckles probably but that's all the characters i would have liked to see in this game.

Besides, I didn't say the story was good, I said it was one of the best. Mainly because the other Sonic games don't really have a good story too :p Though I didn't hate the story

Edited by metalsteelix

• 1 month later...

The day stages started out awesome, but like I said, strayed too deep into trial-and-error territory. The night stages may not have been awful by themself, but they were nothing but slowing plodding padding to fill out the rest of the game, which at the time was something fans did NOT want.

That's fine that you like the OST and levels, but we have had much better befor and after SU. And when it comes to story, both Adventures had stories that were much better told than Unleashed, as well as the absence of an annoying Navi-esque sidekick.

The day stages started out awesome, but like I said, strayed too deep into trial-and-error territory. The night stages may not have been awful by themself, but they were nothing but slowing plodding padding to fill out the rest of the game, which at the time was something fans did NOT want.

That's fine that you like the OST and levels, but we have had much better befor and after SU. And when it comes to story, both Adventures had stories that were much better told than Unleashed, as well as the absence of an annoying Navi-esque sidekick.

I didn't feel this way with Night stages at all, they were a nice distraction. Besides, you could easily complete some stages within 10 minutes, not counting exploring so it doesn't slow down the game too much.

Also, talking about a sidekick, I prefer Chip anyday over Omochao. Chip may not have been the best character the Sonic universe has seen, but his friendship between Sonic was great, you could just feel it.

Back to the story, I thought it was well explained. It wasn't just blowing up the earth, the end. No, it was done with a reason. It was done to awaken Dark Gaia, which would help Eggman realize his plans (but failed).

Adventure 1 story: Awaken Chaos, give him chaos emeralds so he will grow and help Eggman realize his plans (but failed too)

If you look at them side by side, they aren't much different in plot telling, it just got different elements.

Sure, I prefer Adventure 2's story over Unleashed, but that doesn't mean Unleashed had a bad story.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

It's because this game is terrible. It is not a great Sonic game at all. I understand that they were experimenting, but the experiment failed. This game really doesn't know what it is. Less than half of it is actual semi-traditional Sonic gameplay, but even that is marred by piss poor camera angles, and extremely annoying trial-and-error levels. The rest of the game is a garbage generic action game tacked on just to make Sonic seem either "edgy" or try to bring it into a new genre. The whole thing fails and stinks of desperation.

Horrible camera angles, seriously.