Encyclopedia of the Common Man Guide

Tyger7

A RECENT UPDATE HAS FIXED THE GLITCH FOR THIS ACHIEVEMENT. ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN GLITCHED NOW JUST HAS TO UPDATE. IT WILL UNLOCK BY ITSELF ONCE YOU LOAD THE GAME.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/2246/5-jaZLQ=.jpgAn Extraordinary Man 10 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/site/gp-g.png

Complete the Encyclopedia of the Common Man.

Once you have done all of the Homestead Missions and completed most of the game might be a good time to get the achievement done for completing The Encyclopedia of the Common Man. The characters do various activities around the Homestead and you must analyze them by holding :ltbut:. The list below shows what you should look for. Most everything will go fine except for the Miner and for the Lumberers. I believe the Miner is just glitchy. An example is that he lights a lantern and it doesn't count as an activity, but him standing doing nothing sometimes will. He will almost always be mining except the rare chance he does gold panning. For the Lumberers, they do a ton of recreational smoking, drinking at the bar, and fishing. You can hardly catch them doing any work and none of the activities just mentioned count. Just remember that one of the wives (Catherine) counts as a lumberer.

Note: This achievement can take you hours. Hardly any activities can be recorded at night time. Be sure you have done all conversations and missions for everyone first. Not all activities will be available if not.

TIP: If you use Eagle Vision (pressing the left stick) then if person is doing an activity they will be highlighted in gold instead of blue.

How to check your log

You can check what you have by pressing :back: and scrolling to log book. Go to Building the Homestead. You will see a list.

There is also a physical log book in the Manor. Go up the stairs and it's on a table between the two red chairs.

Glitch Warning: Woodworker is sometimes glitched. It will say 2/3 recorded even after you get 3/3. It sill say that you have completed the entry anyways. This may be at fault when scanning the woodworker helping other inhabitants that can be scanned and the scan gets mixed up. This is not known for sure. Farmer is also known to have glitched.

Other Glitch: Yet another glitch is that you have 3/3 and it does not say you have completed an entry. Keep trying to record the one/s that have this error and hopefully you can get the achievement to unlock.

PATCH TO FIX GLITCH

There was a patch to fix a lot of things, including this glitch. If you have the glitch where it says 3/3 and yet not "completed", then you just need to scan another activity to fix it and get your achievement. What happens if you have scanned every single activity because you wanted the achievement so badly? That's too bad for you, because you are still glitched and require to either wait for yet another patch (doubtful to happen) or to restart the game on another save file.

PATCH NOTES FROM UBISOFT

Check the thread below to find out other people's experiences with the glitch.

GLITCH DISCUSSION

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blacksmith - Big Dave -Da on the map

• Grinding an axe
  • Pounding away at metal on an anvil
  • Working on horseshoes by a horse
  • Unloading a cart with lumberer
  • Splitting log
  • Hammering a wheel

Doctor Lyle - Ly on the Map

• Sitting down with a book on a a tree trunk
  • Playing a game of Bowls
  • Giving news to a couple on the trail
  • Checking on a patient on the porch
  • Reading the newspaper
  • Uprooting plants (likely for medicine)
  • Measurements

Farmers Warren - Wa on map - Prudence - Pa on map

• Prudence is using a wooden tool on hay
  • Feeding chickens
  • Working in the garden
  • Plowing field
  • Milking cow
  • Cooking with the outside oven
  • Working on nearby windmill
  • Beekeeping
  • Preparing/shoveling hay

There seems to be a lot of things you can watch them do, and some are very rare.

Huntersess - Myrian - My on the map

• Gun cleaning by the fire at her camp
  • Preparing food over a fire
  • Setting a trap a little SE from her campsite
  • Pelt trading
  • Skinning deer

Innkeepers Oliver and Corrine - Ol and Co on the map

• Oliver will be washing the counter
  • Corrine will be turning a crank outside over a fire (deer roasting)
  • Oliver nearby Corrine will have a pitch fork (moving hay)
  • Preparing/chopping up a pig carcass
  • Slapping a bull making it do work

Lumberers - Godfrey - Go on the map - Terry - Te on the map - Catherine - Ca on map

• Talking with Lance by some lumber
  • Terry working with Dan chopping wood
  • Loading lumber on a wagon
  • Catherine churning butter
  • Playing Bowls game
  • Sawing wood
  • Reading newspaper

Miner - Norris - No on the map

• Mining
  • He will walk around town, walk a path, then stand in front of a cabin
  • Rarely, he will do some gold panning by his mine in the river
  • Sharpens tools

Tailor - Ellen - El on the map

• You'll find Ellen working on a coat on the porch
  • She'll be washing fabric in a bucket
  • Sewing a cushion on a red chair

Woodworker - Lance - La on the map

• Opening/closing a door with a book in his hand
  • Sitting on a chair he built (testing it)
  • Shaving a wooden beam
  • Checking a fence
  • Wheelbarrow inspection

Edited by Tyger7

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing this is up. I think I've unfortunately screwed myself out of getting the encyclopedia finished in my main run, so I'll probably have to do another run to quickly rush off the story and homestead missions... hopefully this guide will stop anyone else from running into this.

On a side note... do we actually expect Ubisoft to patch any of this? I'm starting to seriously regret purchasing the season pass, after seeing how buggy the main game is...

Good thing this is up. I think I've unfortunately screwed myself out of getting the encyclopedia finished in my main run, so I'll probably have to do another run to quickly rush off the story and homestead missions... hopefully this guide will stop anyone else from running into this.

On a side note... do we actually expect Ubisoft to patch any of this? I'm starting to seriously regret purchasing the season pass, after seeing how buggy the main game is...

I have tried hours now to get the last lumberer activity to register, but with no luck. I even observed Catherine churning butter twice, but that didn't help either. When I follow Godfrey and Terry around, neither seems to do any of the encyclopedia activities any more. Quite frustrating.

I plan on doing a 2nd quicker playthrough, so I may give this achievement another shot then.

I already have this achievement, but I have a couple of things to say. Some activities are missing (for instance, the Doctor also picks herbs around his house which counts as an activity as well).

Another thing I want to say is.. Once it's completed, does the Encyclopedia still show up for you in the logbook like it's not completed? I've noticed it's still there for me, even though everything in it is checked off on it.

Yeah I don't have 100% every single activity listed. I actually took screen shots of every activity I did and was planning to do a picture guide but now I realize there are more than just what I had found so no use in using pictures to help.

I got glitched and did not get the achievement. Patches for this kind of thing seem rare because some people can obtain it by "replaying" the game and they probably just don't care. The other games were perfectly fine. Guess it is a different branch of Ubisoft though right? Montreal....Blame Canada.

What really pisses me off is that it isn't an achievement like "5 rope dart kills". I literally spent hours on this achievement alone and even more hours trying to get it to unlock since it glitched. It's worth a whopping 10 points and will screw me out of a completion on a 40+ hour game. Not to mention the 15 minute credit roll you can't skip. Maybe if we bombard them on twitter.

Edited by Tyger7

The other games were perfectly fine. Guess it is a different branch of Ubisoft though right? Montreal....Blame Canada.

The Montreal studio was the main developer for every Creed game... Most of the big games from this generation came from Montreal or Vancouver studios anyway (BioShock, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, to name three).

Oh. Maybe they didn't test this one very well : /

Yeah. I don't even think they spell-checked the game. Of the parts of the credit roll I watched, I found six typos (I actually only starting focusing after I caught the first typo). After doing one of the Homestead missions, I also got a prompt saying something was now "avaialable." Like come on, this isn't "ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US." Developers must be embarrassed when these happen in AAA games in 2012.. lol

Yeah. I don't even think they spell-checked the game. Of the parts of the credit roll I watched, I found six typos (I actually only starting focusing after I caught the first typo). After doing one of the Homestead missions, I also got a prompt saying something was now "avaialable." Like come on, this isn't "ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US." Developers must be embarrassed when these happen in AAA games in 2012.. lol

Definitely some spelling errors in the game. Ive caught them here and there in the subtitles.

That aside, I was wondering about this achievement. When i go to the logbook it lists all of the positions and says [0/3] for all of them. I was under the impression i just needed to find 3 of each position, for example 3 farmers, 3 lumberers ect.. Thats clearly not how i do it lol. So all i have to do is just follow them around and watch them do things? i dont have to press any buttons to interact!?

thanks

-xICooRsYIx

Alot of the above can be completed quite differently. I just got the achieve in sequence 9

Woodworker - examining a fence at the farmers or inn, examining a chair, planing a piece of wood

Tailor - sewing a suit, sewing a chair, sewing a quilt

Inkeepeers, female cooking an animal, male mucking out horses, female cutting an animal

Blacksmith - smelting metal, fitting horseshoes, sharpening a blade

Doctor - examining herbs/grass, talking to patients on the road outside of his house, giving the tailor an examination on her porch

Lumbers - chopping wood, loading a cart with wood, playing bowls together

Miner - refueling a lamp in mine enterance, mining in mine, panning in the river outside near the mine

Farmers - female milking a cow, female feeding animals, male plowing a feild

Hunter - setting traps just outside her camp, oiling her gun, cooking food

The tailor and miner are very annoying to get all 3 activities with. The tailor wont sew the quilt till late afternoon and the miner won't pan for gold unless early in the morning. The lumbers play bowls in the afternoon. The doctor can be hard to catch as he vists people. The rest are all quite easy

Edited by Shabba

Got everything 3/3 but no cheevo :(

Same thing...but then I hit select and went into my log and saw that "inhabitants recorded:lumberers [3/3]" but there was no line saying lumberers entry completed bla bla. So I went back and watched them for a while and caught them splitting wood which I had not observed before and the cheevo popped.

So I too have the woodworker glitch, but I also am having a glitch that I have not seen anyone post anything about yet. The tailor is nowhere to be found in my game. I went into the church one day to see her praying (didn't know that wasn't an activity at the time). Afterwards, I proceeded to follow her back to her house to view her sewing. When we got to the inn, she suddenly disappeared right in front of me and I have not seen her since. So, I'm gonna chalk this up as a really nasty glitch or assume she was abducted by aliens.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6UvtHo-7HzhV9WAaFrk55oF_b2Mt3UwcKyrxXPSGN4OLCGXXo

Just got the achievement. I've been on sequence 9 now for a long time, did the mission that George sent me on and stopped at the last mission before the next sequence, and I've just been going around stalking them all. I did some other achievements as well and came back, once in a while and saw them do other tasks.

If you're trying to get the miner to look for gold, go early in the morning. After that head over to the lady that sews and she will be doing a coat fitting for a man. Then walk across to the blacksmith and he will grind the axe, then go and mess with the horse, and lastly work on a wagon wheel.

Hope that helps some of you.

What season did this happen in and where?

This happened before season 9 wintertime. Before doing the homesteads missions of Prudence delivering her baby. Next to the feild nearby to their house. At the same time I scanned the woodworker inspecting the farmer's fence. The common man encyclopedia is given in sequence 6 and by sequence 8 you will have all the Homestead townsfolk settle on...

I really didn't want to end this game without having anything left and not by scanning townsfolk. So after sequence 9 all I have left is the froniter to get to 100%, due to conversation and a tunnel left to discover also a few assassins to train, while absolutely everything else is complete.........

I do have a question as my gun rack still needs a few weapons. Does at any point the blacksmith get any more special Bars/Ingots for use in crafting special weapons? I have 4 more weapons to make 1 of them is Lincoln's sword. I really want to craft as I prefer killing with swords and daggers.

Mine glitches when the huntress and miner were with the priest. I think it's safe to say anytime ANY characters are in a group of 3 don't scan them.

The doctor when having a converstation with patients is in a group of 3 I scanned him fine no problems.

I honestly think though if it can glitch it will. I almost snapped my disc in half the other day. During the wedding homestead mission when the priest wants you to walk with him. I had skipped the starting animation holding B button, afterwards it desync'ed me. Even after reloading and then dashboarding and returning to game it would continously desync me. It eventually sorted itself out. That would have been the second critical error which would have forced a restart on my entire game. This my second playthrough from the previous being broken...

Edited by Shabba

Same thing...but then I hit select and went into my log and saw that "inhabitants recorded:lumberers [3/3]" but there was no line saying lumberers entry completed bla bla. So I went back and watched them for a while and caught them splitting wood which I had not observed before and the cheevo popped.

I am trying this now, I have the same except only my glitch is with the farmers not being updated. Although I already recorded some more if not all then needed. I am hoping it will somehow still unlock for me.

Eddit: Nopes, I finally could scan a new task Warren was doing, and nothing popped.

Edited by Dark Link IV

This brings me to my question: Does completing the encyclopedia count towards 100%? I want to start a new game too after I finish this one but I want to know if this affects my completion (i.e. getting the other achievements and Altair's Outfit). I wouldn't want to start a new game for THAT as well.

Was that a wise decision though? I'm not sure if I want to buy it but for different reasons (all the friggin' pass gives you is a 25% discount :mad:).

Ubisoft SHOULD patch it, along with a ton of other things. I remember I encountered a similar glitch with the Monteriggioni statuettes in AC2, I was planning to start a new game to get the Achievement but I never had to since they patched it.

I do have a question as my gun rack still needs a few weapons. Does at any point the blacksmith get any more special Bars/Ingots for use in crafting special weapons? I have 4 more weapons to make 1 of them is Lincoln's sword. I really want to craft as I prefer killing with swords and daggers.

Special Iron Ingots? There's an unlimited supply of them to the back of your manor.

Go behind the stables where the horses are, you will see a bunch of logs there, walk away from them in a straight line towards the cliffs then hang, you should see a chest below, drop down to it. It has 5 of those, everytime you fast travel they respawn.

SUCCESS!

After about 8 hours of following my Lumberers around, I finally got the achievement. It occurred when I scanned Catherine churning butter (I had scanned her doing this many times before but with no success).

Based on my observations, I believe the only way Catherine churning butter will register is if you are able to re-scan other Lumberer activities (i.e.: chopping wood). Until recently, Godfrey and Terry weren't doing any valid activities for me after I had scanned them that one time several days ago. I don't know what changed, but maybe my working on 100% sync'ing of everything reset something.

Special Iron Ingots? There's an unlimited supply of them to the back of your manor.

Or just wait until the end of the game and some more will be avalible.

Although my weapon/gunrack still isn't quite full. Also all my store bought outfits aren't on my clothing rack, only the rewarded ones.

There are a million things wrong with this game I don't really want to start as I would be here forever.

Although as a game its bad, and if it could go wrong it often would. I hated playing Connor fullstop. I never once felt like an assassin, rather like some wannabe do-good'er with a very bad attitude. Instead of fully using all my assassin tools and having really clever as in assassination ways to kill people, it was like playing dynasty warriors. Or maybe some cop who evedrops then chases people. The sequences and there sync'ing while some were very intuitive, most were plain retarded and quite the opposite of logic. The ending was an anti-climax to all the hours spent playing, although in comedy which by comparison, was like some granny's having a handbag fight. Maybe though some real evil will come in the next Desmond.

It suxed

Edited by Shabba