Why is everyone hatin' on duke nukem forever?

Habs14

I've seen a bunch of reviews and I don't understand why everyone is giving this game a shitty score. Me personally, I like this game. What's not to like? Sure the graphics arent the greatest and are blurry at times and the frame rate is choppy, but overall I find this game really enjoyable and humorous. I'm playing on hard for my first playthrough and the game is not that hard. I love all dukes comments and the gameplay is great. People think that because it took 12 years to make they were expecting this game that was going to have jaw dropping moments and have it be the best game ever made. People were expecting so much from it but I didn't expect much for it just to be a classic duke game and that's what it really is. Overall I would give this game no lower than a 7. 7-7.5 would be a good rating for this game. But, that's just me. " GET SOME"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best video review for the game ive seen so far.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th2z0xT-X5s]YouTube - ‪The Hateful Truth: DNF and the Media ‬‏[/ame]

and i love the game btw, it doesnt seem fair that every other review rags on it so hard.

Edited by zslux

I agree this game is great. It is what I expected. I think most thought it was going to be some amazing fps.... I would almost bet that most ppl hating on it have not played other duke games..

I have had a lot of fun with the game and love the easter eggs and dialouge...

I have played some many games that got raving reviews that turned out to be utter rubbish...

Sorry this is not another pos Halo or Cod....

I think most people read reviews before they play the game and then no matter how the game is they have a biased opinion... They only see the flaws... I only review games I plan on playing as good multiplayers or thinking about buying but not sure if I would like it, for that very reason.

I like the game very much. Brings me back to duke 3d days. The only thing that would have made it better. Is if they stuck with the unreal engine. The game would have been so sexy.

Anyway they game didn't take 12 years to make. There were so many legal issues and engine issues. That they never fully worked on it.

I didn't know what to expect from all the mixed reviews I've read and heard, but personally I think it's a pretty cool game that lives up to the classic Duke Nukem gameplay. Regardless if the graphics aren't "top of the line", the game is still a fun shooting game. Not to mention the funny detail they added into the game makes it more than worth it.

I agree, the game is a lot of fun and I like it. And zslux, that was a great video you posted.

I have no idea why so many people are complaining that it's 'not like classic Duke.' It's EXACTLY like classic Duke. I played just about every DN game in the 90's and DNF is EXACTLY what I remember about Duke Nukem. It's stupid and fun.

And I have to make a comment about people bitching about regen health: Do you really want to go through this game looking for health packs? No, you don't, because parts of this game are really challenging and are made for you to utilize avoiding taking damage. Health packs were a thing of the 90's, do you want to go back to that? Do you know how hard modern games would be if that were the case? Should we go back to no saves and passcodes if you want to continue where you left off?

I think this game is boring: just a bunch of rooms attached one to the other without a strong story guiding you trhough them.

The gameplay is simple but not satisfyng: it's not easy, but the loading slow down the pace as you die. In DN3D the story wasn't that much but the level design was great: here, i reapeat, the feeling is just of going through rooms.

The humor is just nice, hardly able to get you a ear to ear smile.

the graphic is not important, but if the game lacks on other aspects, a low quality graphic is the final blow to the gamer interest through the game.

the loading screens are a pain, other then that, this is almost a mirror image of how FPSes were pre-Half-Life. as a huge shooter fan, it definitely brings me back to that time period where FPSes were about killing nazis, demons, and aliens when I was 7 years old. you just have to take it for what it is. it isn't a genre breaking, intense story-line, graphical display of what consoles or PCs can do now. but duke 3d wasn't that either. it's a game that started development in the 90s, and it plays just like that minus a few tweaks (didn't find any secret areas no keycards, regenerating health, 2 weapons). overall i would give it a 7/10. haven't played multiplayer tho. don't plan too.

p.s. at least it's not a call of duty clone.

graphics are not great, loading times are awful, enemy damage to u especially on insane is a joke, plus the inability to carry only 2 weapons instead of 4, plus items like holo dukes, steroids, beer, etc which there should have been a lot more of was disappointing.

having said that, even with all those faults im still enjoying the game, even on insane mode, yes it could have been better made but at least it's enjoyable and im only renting it so im not losing out on value.

as for reviews, i never listen or read the ones on game sites, i prefer to listen to friends who have played the game and can be truthful about it.

my score would have been 7/10 which would have been fairer, it would have got more but for the slight problems.

Short story: It's CoD wrapped in a Duke package.

Long story: It's not Duke. The single player is what I find comparable to CoD in almost every single way, it's extremely linear, limits you to what you can do in every single way possible, regenerating health, 2 weapon maximum, the need to take cover and on and on and on.

I can't say I didn't enjoy the game because I did my first playtrough, but looking at the fact that there is absolutely nothing new to discover, which was also a very big duke thing ( Secrets ), it's just a big waste of time.

That, and the fact that the game took 12 years to make and the SP lasted one afternoon.

( I've been away for to long, damnit )

It didn't take 12 years to make. If I hear that one more time.......

Whilst he is a fanboy the video above is fairly good. From now on its Gameinformer reviews only for me and even then it won't sway me from a game I got me eyes on but these new guys seem to put up decent reviews and haven't been bought out. IGN and Gametrailers are rubbish.

It gets shit because it stayed true to its roots. This is Duke Nukem, not Call of Duty or Halo or Battlefield. I am glad that they made it true Duke Nukem style game-play instead of trying to make it just another generic "run and gun" FPS. I know that for the most part of DNF you do run and gun but with Duke Nukem games it always felt different from other FPS games. Also, they limited you to two weapons because being able to carry every weapon in the game at the same time would make the game way too easy. I love DNF because it is Duke Nukem to a T and nothing more. Hail to the fucking King.

so far i am enjoying a lot... pure Duke style. I came across a level tonight with a bunch of puzzle platform thingy, found the first 2 parts, but then i got really annoyed not knowing what to do in that demolition thing. So i checked on the internet, and saw that i was doing the right thing but not the right way(moving the big ball) But if there is not too much of this, im fine.

I know insane will make me yell a lot(loading times being awfull) and especially since im not a guy who do a lot of "hard" playtrought, but this one is duke, i would like the 1000 especially since there is no online achievements(my condition of NO boosting make it hard to obtain some online achievements in general)

So i will see what it give...