Anyone get a 3DS yet?

kaleido42

I was going to get it first thing yesterday morning, but turns out that the one store in town that sells video games (happens to be a gas station :p) probably won't have any until at least Friday. Figured I might as well ask people that already have it their opinion of it and if it's worth getting immediately, or should I wait for a price drop/hardware upgrade (3DS XL perhaps???).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to wait for a new 3DS model, you can wait long, at least a year, year and a half maybe.

Price drops are likely to happen before that.

Just check out the current and upcoming games to see if there is enough for you that makes it worth getting. It's very easy to fall for the 'new' factor and get it with a few games that seem 'okay', but is it worth it?

Personally I'll wait until Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D comes out, there are some games that seem interesting, but nothing that drives me to the store to get a new system for.

I got a 3DS on launch day. Its pretty decent though the 3Dness can hurt your eyes after just a short while playing it. I got Ghost Recon : Shadow Wars for it which is pretty decent. Though if your gonna get one its probally best to wait til june when zelda comes out (which will be FUCKING INSANE).

I just got mine today and I was pretty satisfied with it. I bought Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition and the online multiplayer is pretty decent. I guess people can't spam special moves on a handheld which at least makes the game more balanced between pros and novices. The other hardware seems pretty cool, I'm actually looking forward to getting people's Miis as I walk around in the street. I wanted to wait until a newer model came out but like someone mentioned, it'll be a really long time before that happens and I'm looking forward for the RE and DOA titles that are coming out.

• 1 month later...

I got it on day one. And I don't regret it for a second. I got Splinter Cell 3D, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Ridge Racer 3D and Samurai Warriors: Chronicles. And think there all quite ace. Splinter cell is a let down with no coop. GR is a great challenge too.

I bought it for Zelda, what else. It's gonna arrive on the day before my birthday. So yay.

Finally got around to getting one a little while ago. Have to say that I really like it, especially the augmented reality stuff. Biggest issues I have with it is the weak library of games right now, put a few hours into any one game and there's not much left to play of it, and sadly I feel as though some of the coolest new features, such as the augmented reality, are somewhat backwards thinking on a console thats supposed to be considered portable; so much for picking up any game I want and playing it on the go :(. If you can get past those two issues (one of which will be fixed later in the year) I would definitely recommend it to anyone that has yet to buy one :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The only thing preventing me from buying one is the battery life.

Yea it all depends on how bright it is or if the 3D is turned on or not, but from hearing from my friends the battery life is terrible still. I'm just going to wait till the next model because it just seems highly likely they will make one to improve battery life.

Also along with everyone else said, the store is kinda limited and sad right now, no big reason for me to buy one at the moment.

• 1 month later...

I'm waiting for the price drop (August 12 I think). Hopefully Nintendo learned it's lesson from this for the WiiU and will actually release it with a few AAA titles.

EDIT: Might be waiting longer actually as there is not that many good games still.

Edited by The Robxp

Got my 3DS two months ago, and havn't had a single good game for it. Then comes the price drop, and I'm cursing my haste for buying the damn thing too early. Been playing old DS games with it, which I could've done with my old fat DS.

I also got one a few months ago, played Pokemon ans a few other older DS games. I have one 3D game and it hurts my eyes after about 20 minutes of playing. I was content with it, but now i wish i would have waited and I would probably have been more happier with the PSP Vita. The Nintendo eShop IMO is too pricey, there are a few games that I would buy but not at the price they are.

My brother got it the day it came out. It was really fun to play with for about an hour, and then we realized that past the glitz and the novelty of the system, there wasn't anything substantial to play. I think it's going to be hard to see the impact of that system until a whole slew of good games comes out for it.

Also, he's MIGHTY upset about the price drop as well lol

Funny thing is, I had preordered one on Amazon way back, but by accident had it shipped to my old address. Because there was no forwarding addy it got returned for a refund, and I was VERY glad as by that time I was having some buyer's remorse. I ended up buying a used PSP Go loaded up with games instead.

I still will probably get one and really like the look of the red which will be out soon. Price drop makes it more tempting. Main issue for me is the lack of games on it right now that I want to play.

IMO, the biggest thing that could turn this system around is a bunch of good, original RPGs. Top ten DS games on GameFAQs have been RPGs mostly for a long time. This is obviously what their handheld market wants, including me! ;)

I just got one yesterday just so I could play Pokemon again. And while I don't have a 3DS game right now, I am pretty impressed. The 3D effect is cool and the Home interface is very nice and suits the 3DS perfectly I think.

I just wish they didn't keep using "blocks" for memory capacity. Makes more sense to use MB, GB etc.

• 1 month later...
Will let me play Gameboy advance and DS games or is better to buy DL lite XL?

The XL DS is actually a DSI, not a lite. The DSi, DSi XL, and 3ds are not capable of playing Gameboy advance games. If you want to play gameboy advance games your going to have to find either an original model or a DS Lite.

• 2 weeks later...
The XL DS is actually a DSI, not a lite. The DSi, DSi XL, and 3ds are not capable of playing Gameboy advance games. If you want to play gameboy advance games your going to have to find either an original model or a DS Lite.

So did I bought the wrong console type because futureshop is where I bought the DS lite XL but don't see any other old Nintendo consoles that is listed in your post above.I just don't want waste another $160.00.

So did I bought the wrong console type because futureshop is where I bought the DS lite XL but don't see any other old Nintendo consoles that is listed in your post above.I just don't want waste another $160.00.

I'm honestly not sure what model you're talking about. If you bought it recently then you likely can't play gameboy advance games on it. I'm providing below a link to a model comparison chart. If what you have is one of the two models on the left then you can play gameboy advance games on it, one of the ones on the right you won't be able to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_ds#Model_comparison