At first I was like...

BulletH0l3s

I was overwhelmed with joy when I heard the rumours that Perfect Dark was making it's way onto the Xbox Live arcade, I could remember in the "Old days" when I used to play the same old combat simulator, on the level Grid, spending hours on end killing AIs, I was never able to purchase an Expansion Pack, to enable me to play the single player, and Illegal ol' me downloaded an emulator a few years back, it was as fun as I remembered.

When the rumours where confirmed I was shocked that they brought this out before, or instead of Golden Eye, even though I spent more time on Perfect Dark. After seeing the achievements I was utterly disappointed, even though I will most likely purchase the damn thing, I will never be able to earn all of those achievements, I'm almost disappointed in my self I Should already have my 800 MS' points and be ready to hit the download button on Perfect Dark, but I wont, because of the shoddy achievements, I'd rather it had none, achievements have changed my look on games, gave me something to aim for, but don't get me wrong, this still looks amazing, but I'd rather remember the old days of perfect dark, than relive them.

Do you think achievements have changed you?

and are you picking this up?

i think there's something massively wrong when people start considering not buying games based purely on the achievements. the game is the important part, the achievements are just a bonus. perfect dark is awesome enough that i'd buy it again even if there was no achievements (that could partly be because my 64 controllers are stuffed and i can't get the game working properly on project64).

i just see the achievements as extra motivation to fully complete a game.

i think there's something massively wrong when people start considering not buying games based purely on the achievements. the game is the important part, the achievements are just a bonus. perfect dark is awesome enough that i'd buy it again even if there was no achievements (that could partly be because my 64 controllers are stuffed and i can't get the game working properly on project64).

i just see the achievements as extra motivation to fully complete a game.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, and I still crack open my N64 and play some games that just have to be played with N64 controllers, it's not that I don't intend to purchase this game, I guess because of my OCD nature I hate having a low score on games that are such a blast, now that achievements are so integrated into games I feel that I must get a some what a respectable score on the game, if a developer doesn't put as much time and effort into a new feature in gaming (achievements) as they do making fantastic games, they're letting down a portion of their audience in the process, but no doubt I'll still buy the game and have a blast, I am hoping the controls are up to scratch too.

if you read the interview with ken lobb he also talks of an awards system which i'm guessing is going to be much harder and much less shoddy than the achievements, would i buy this game if it didn't have achievements, most definitly, the achievements to me are just an added bonus plus most of them are stuff i would have done anyway in game such as challanges, secondary fire, cameras even carringtons wine collection :D

if a developer doesn't put as much time and effort into a new feature in gaming (achievements) as they do making fantastic games, they're letting down a portion of their audience in the process

A very small portion.

What are your actual complaints with the achievements? I don't think they're all that bad. Perhaps not challenging enough (other than Perfect Agent and the challenges)?

A very small portion.

What are your actual complaints with the achievements? I don't think they're all that bad. Perhaps not challenging enough (other than Perfect Agent and the challenges)?

I guess they're all quite time consuming, and hardly any of my friends are purchasing it, which is a shame, but I'm hoping to get about 100+ gamerscore off of the game.

I guess they're all quite time consuming, and hardly any of my friends are purchasing it, which is a shame, but I'm hoping to get about 100+ gamerscore off of the game.

no offence to them but your friends seem like morons :D

plus if you love the game you should easily get the full 200

if you can beat special agent then you should be able to get at least 165 points out of the game without too much trouble (and it won't take too long since the difficulties stack).

I think achievements have ruined games for a lot of people. All people do (including me) is play the campaign twice, once to get used to the levels and the 2nd for playing on the hardest difficulty. I've played Splinter Cell Double Agent's campaign maybe 5 times compared to me playing Chaos Theory 50 times. Whatever happened to the fun before achievements? Like when everyone played their favorite games 80 bazillion times?

I'm pretty sure I've beaten the Halo 1 campaign at least that many times.

but halo 1 didn't have achievements :p

i here what he's saying aswell though to be fair i used to just do games to 100% till i'd done them on the hardest difficulty found everything etc but now they give me achievements for doing those things :D

I went through a phase of playing easy games for achievs as im sure everyone does at some point, prob around the 35k-40k mark, but i never avoided the harder games simply because i knew i wouldnt get all the achievs. I dont understand why people that base their purchases on the achievment list even play games tbh, i buy the games i like the look of and if i enjoy them enough and im actually good at them, then i will go for all the points, otherwise i will just play it until im not interested anymore.

Edited by MakoBallistic

I'm pretty sure I've beaten the Halo 1 campaign at least that many times.

This is too true. I played Halo 1 by myself and co op at least 20+ times. So much fun.......

At what the OP said, I can kinda understand what you're saying. I had your same mindset a few years ago when I bought games like Jetpac Refueled, Rootbeer Tapper, etc. Loved the games, but the achievements were tough and I couldn't 100% them. Frustrated me, but didn't deter me from buying and playing them..........Nowadays, I don't go for the 100% as much, but I do try to complete it as thorghougly as possible(in the least amount of time :p).

Heck, I bought Marvel vs Capcom 2 and I KNOW I'm not gonna get 200 points in that game. Lucky if I get more than 100

Too hard? If you can beat the game on Perfect Agent, you've nabbed all but one achievement, the challenge achievement.

Too time consuming? The game isn't that long. The rest of the achievements will take maybe a couple of hours, tops.

I don't really have any huge complaints about the achievement list. My only criticism is that they should have required all gold medals on the shooting range for an achievement to up the difficulty a little bit.

no offence to them but your friends seem like morons :D

plus if you love the game you should easily get the full 200

Yeah, some of my friends are morons and not getting this. One specifically said "I played it on my friends N64 a few months ago and it sucked. The graphics are horrible." I wanted to point out that it's 10 years old and graphics don't matter as long as the game's fun, but that fact wouldn't be able to penetrate his stupid, Halo Wars loving, Call of Duty nuke boosting brain.

Anyways, the achievements mean nothing to me. The game could have 1 achievement worth 200 points that says "Play this game while playing a bagpipe on the back of a magical dragon flying through space after rescuing Sigourney Weaver from staring in Alien Resurrection." and I'd still get it knowing I'd have 0 points in this game forever. This game is awesome. Just got done playing it for 2 hours and it's just as awesome as I remember.

nah you'd need at least 2 achievement's

a 1 pointer that says start the game, aqnd a 199 for doing what you said without the Sigourney Weaver bit obviously :p

that way you can never delete it off your achievement list :D

besides yeah the first one looks like shit nowadays, have you explained to him they've redone nearly all the graphics, oh and he can play with his cod controls if he likes :)