Dunk Contest.

Blind x360a

I really don't understand the dunk contest too well. Like are u supposed to press the right stick in any direction, and then press it in another direction immediately after? When ever i spin the right stick, and then try to flick it in another direction, it will say i pressed it in the direction i didn't want. I'm sorry if I'm not making sense right now but the dunk contest is really confusing me.

Stallion, it is going to seem like your not doing it right, because I went through 30+ dunk contests, and every time for the first 30 or so either no one came out or one of the 4 i mentioned came out...I have came to the conclusion that it is all pure luck, my tip of using the 4 people is just a way of eliminating 4 of the 6 possible outcomes..the possible outcomes is no one comes, LBJ comes, richardson comes, vince carter comes, TMAC comes, or kobe comes...so when you use those 4 people the only possible outcomes are kobe or no show...and controlling all 4 people doesn't effect it at all...i've played against all 3 CPU twice and once Richardson came out and the other time no show..

Stallion, it is going to seem like your not doing it right, because I went through 30+ dunk contests, and every time for the first 30 or so either no one came out or one of the 4 i mentioned came out...I have came to the conclusion that it is all pure luck, my tip of using the 4 people is just a way of eliminating 4 of the 6 possible outcomes..the possible outcomes is no one comes, LBJ comes, richardson comes, vince carter comes, TMAC comes, or kobe comes...so when you use those 4 people the only possible outcomes are kobe or no show...and controlling all 4 people doesn't effect it at all...i've played against all 3 CPU twice and once Richardson came out and the other time no show..

thanks for the quick reply. I will try it again, just unlucky I suppose.

Yeah it is very easy to drive you nuts this achievement...if it wasn't for me racing to be the first to 1000 in the world I wouldn't have gotten it...i spent 2 hours thursday night, and 4 hours last night of just sprite dunk contests...by the way Kobe will get straight 90's(88-92) if he lands both the dunks...if he messes up once he will get in the 70's...and if he messes up twice then like 3 or something...There are dunks that will automatically get 100...to do these you have to do a full rotation on the stick for the take off and a full rotation on the stick for the trick in the air...beware that when you do this the bar for pressing RT will get much thinner and also beware if you finally get kobe to show and you lose, breaking the game will be in high consideration(happened to me the first time)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yeah it is very easy to drive you nuts this achievement...if it wasn't for me racing to be the first to 1000 in the world I wouldn't have gotten it...i spent 2 hours thursday night, and 4 hours last night of just sprite dunk contests...by the way Kobe will get straight 90's(88-92) if he lands both the dunks...if he messes up once he will get in the 70's...and if he messes up twice then like 3 or something...There are dunks that will automatically get 100...to do these you have to do a full rotation on the stick for the take off and a full rotation on the stick for the trick in the air...beware that when you do this the bar for pressing RT will get much thinner and also beware if you finally get kobe to show and you lose, breaking the game will be in high consideration(happened to me the first time)

I'm so pissed. I guess I got real lucky because the first two times I even tried this dunk contest Kobe shows up each time! From what I've been reading this is supposed to be highly unlikely.

Of course I didnt win. I didnt break my controller, just because I went into it knowing how hard it would be from reading on the forums. I came real close to throwing it at the wall the second time though. The up part is that even though I did two full clockwise circles and a perfect release it gave me a 78! BOTH CONTESTS. WTF. I thought maybe it was because I used the clockwise dunk every single round in the first contest and I got the 78 for repetition or somethin just because it was Kobe. So the second contest all I used was up, up, perfect release and it still gives me a 78 when I saved the double clockwise circle + perfect release for Kobe. I went to dunk school and practiced this dunk and the counter clockwise one to prepare for the contest. I feel like shit now, I just had two shots in a row right off the bat to get the achievement and I blew it even though I thought I'd practiced enough to get it.

edit:My idea was wrong, definately just have to do horrible like everyone was saying and Kobe will show up.

GOT EM! WOO:Bounce: He didnt show up for like 8 straight but I went into a contest and missed every single dunk and he showed up. Final score 191 - 173 That "110 percent" dunk was a great tip thanks, the one that I was getting a 78 on was a different circle dunk

• 1 month later...

I checked many times... you can't and it blows. The achievement is basically only tolerable if its your last 35 points for the game and the completionist in you keeps you planted in your seat. You can't edit anything really, save the characters that participate and possibly the camera(maybe?). The best advice that anyone could give is basically know those two dunks that are a definate 100 points. You will be insanely pissed off when he shows up and you mess up the dunk. What I did was go into the training area with LeBron and just practice the "110 percent" dunk and the other one that is the opposite of it. I did them each until I could do them 20 times in a row without fail (though that may be a bit excessive). Then after I got the 20 each, I did another 20 in a row, except alternating between each (10 and 10). The timing alters slightly.

To make it pretty damn quick getting to the part where Kobe is supposed to show up:

- Pick a player out of the 4 that you know you want to use. I picked LeBron but I'm sure it doesnt really matter who you use. Use this player to miss the first (by miss, I mean "fail" the dunk timing but get the launch right) and make the second one. Use a standard "up, up" dunk for these. Its quick.

- Each player gets two "failed" dunks per round. So knowing this: Use each of the other players that you want to be eliminated to run up to the basket and get the launch correct - but DONT finish the dunk... let the timing bar go and dont tap right trigger or whatever it is. Once you do this twice they sit down. Use a quick "up, up" dunk for everyone.

This will get you to the end the quickest. Also, make sure you use Bweeezy's idea where you pick the four players that could possibly show up in the limo besides Kobe.

Okay, I have a small tip as well to add. I was frustrated with this achievement as well but a couple things helped. Do as previously posted, and user control all 4 of the stated players (Richardson, James, McGrady, Carter) leaving only Kobe to be one of the two outcomes. The other being nobody shows. Practice your dunks in the practice area first. Tip for dunking: Make your first move of the right stick just as you cross over or just after you cross the 3-point line, then the 2nd shortly after make the 1st move followed by a timely RT. For me, I flicked the stick up as I crossed then did a counter-clockwise rotation starting at the 9-oclock position all the way around. I also used the bench on my first dunk and the 3 tires for the second. My scores were 100 and 96 respectively. Hope that helps. Took me a bit to figure out the timing.

Also don't use your "finishing moves" before the dunk-off with Kobe as it will decrease your scores. I just used right, right every time.

Another big tip actually to make Kobe come easier is to not press any buttons to try and speed up the process after the regular dunk competition is over. It seemed that whenever I did that, Kobe would not show for like 4 straight; pain in the butt. I was tipped off to this and did not press any buttons and he showed 2 out of 3 times. I won on the 3rd. Could be coincidence but I am leaning to it working. Give it a shot.

This is one of the most annoying achievements I have ever delt with. I'm gonna try it for another couple hours today and then I'm giving up. The tips in this thread are great, but I always seem to choke on my second dunk. Even when I get two 90's Kobe pulls out a two 95's. Or when he messes up I do my 85+ dunk and get a low 70 for it. There's just no way to win for me. Hopefully I'll beat this soon like I always seem to do once I make a ranting cry for help.