All games I play now randomly freeze on me?

Rebmob

I'm not to worried about it because I just bought an elite console as a backup but my pro console that I have had for about a year now is starting to freeze a lot on me.

(It randomly freezes in all games I play and I am forced to power down the console. Recently it has been freezing a lot in DJ Hero and The Orange Box. It also never freezes on the dashboard. The dvd drive also makes revving noises some times, like it's speeding up and then slowing down over and over again.)

Does anyone have any knowledge of what might be wrong with my Xbox? By the way, it's out of warranty; could I force it to RRoD and then MS will have to repair it for free even though my warranty is up? :D

I appreciate everyone's input, thanks!

Edited by Rebmob

sounds like the disc drive is gone. same thing killed my first xbox. well, that and harddrive failure.

You don't think my harddrive is going to go out do you? Because I have had my hdd for at least three years.

Can I force my xbox to RRoD? Maybe towel wrap it? I would love a free repair. (Because my warranty is up.)

You don't think my harddrive is going to go out do you? Because I have had my hdd for at least three years.

Can I force my xbox to RRoD? Maybe towel wrap it? I would love a free repair. (Because my warranty is up.)

I suppose that would work. What made mine go was when I played Morrowind for 36 straight hours (yes, that's right, my 360 died due to an Xbox original...go figure), and it E-74'd the next time I powered up. However, another option (assuming you have the space on your hard drive) is to rip the discs to the hard drive and play them that way. Then all it needs to do is load the disc to start the game, it won't have to read the disc while you're playing. Worth a shot anyway.