So, did the ending make you rage?(Spoilers)

Zombiedrd

first off unlike some I had no problem with shepard dying, but the way the handled just seemed horrible to me... it feels like bioware duped me with how awesome the rest of the game was and then that ending occurs. Feels like my soul was torn from me and was then viciously beaten.

The reason being the ending didn't make much sense like how the two squad mates who were charging down the hill with me to the beam teleporter thing end up on the normandy and pop out after the crash, and why the fuck was the normandy randomly flying through space in the middle of the galaxy and not participating in the fight over Earth. WTF is with that? The Catalyst character was a stupid decision and didn't make much sense and to me The Catalyst character seemed like he didn't belong in the mass effect universe and seemed like a copout to me. One of the other issues i had was it didn't show what happened to all the various groups and people who you had helped and what happened to all your current group of companions and previous companions. there are a few more issues i have but well im sick of talking about it.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my friend at work says "O ME3 is great the story is awesome and it looks like it's gonna be a great game". I say "that doesn't mean that they haven't screwed up the ending". Sure enough 2 days later when I finished the game I knew I was right.

Ok, tell me, which choice did you make at the end. The LEFT (BLUE, MIDDLE (WHITE LIGHT), or RED (RIGHT). I still dont understand which choice causes your shep to take a breath?!

If you go into the final mission with an effective military strength of 5000, and choose the 'destroy synthetics' ending, you see a quick 10 second clip after the Normandy crashes of Shepard presumably in the remains of either the Citadel or London, as he/she gasps for air.

I just don't like that the ending pretty much pans out the same everyway. The reapers are gone, shep is dead(with the exception of the perfect 5000), and the team on the planet. Other than that I was ok with it. It made me sad though.

Admittedly, I did not read through all 9 Pages.

Besides the Actual Ending of the game being terrible, how about the Entire Final Mission?

The intro, and the Alliance base was pretty Awesome, where you could talk to everyone(For the most part anyway). But After that, while the setting was Fantastic, it was extremely uninspired.

What happened to the Terminus or Batarian Fleets? They never even get mentioned. Where is my Geth Prime Unit? What about the Turian Blackwatch? Or the Serrice Guard? Or the Armali sniper Unit? Where's Kirrahe with my STG unit? Where's My Spectre Unit? Where's wrex, Grunt, and Aralahk Company?

Samara, Zaeed, Jacob, Miranda, Jack(and others im forgetting) - Where are all the people I Recruited to help me?! I also think your entire Crew Should have been involved in the final Mission, not just the ones you pick to tag along with you.

You know, I could believe the whole Indoctrination/Hallucination Theory about the Ending, but that could just be me wanting a Better ending.

I don't even Care if Shepard Dies, in Fact I would prefer it. The most Legendary Heroes usually Sacrifice themselves in the end. I knew it wouldn't be a fairy tale ending, but what we got stuck with is just completely ridiculous. No Closure at all.

So While I think the Hallucination/indoctrination Theory is great, I also can see that its just upset people trying to Justify what a Horrible, Shitty, and just plain BAD Ending Bioware gave us.

Edited by ZingZitang

In other words, he wins.

Just as useful as the majority of your input on these boards.

I like that you think it's a college dissertation. I've never been to college, so I'll take that as a compliment. Self-educated. What else is the internet for? ....Don't answer that.

I also like that you think they're "obscurities". Vigil itself is a major plotpoint. The character is there to be an exposition dump. Nothing more. At least, in terms of writing, that's what you call such a character. No way to avoid him, and he dumps the entire plot of the first game on your head if you hadn't figured it out by that point. The Rachni envoy you encounter on Illium isn't that obscure either. In fact, as you pass by her, she yells your name quite a bit. NPCs in Mass Effect 2 had a tendancy to do this to get your attention. Plus, as you walk by her, she highlights and it says "talk" at the top of your screen. But, she only shows up if you saved the Rachni Queen. That's really the only way she's missible or "obscure". That, or being blind/apathetic to her yelling at you. I suppose there's also a third option... You started with the third game instead of the first two.

I also finally like that you did care, VERY MUCH SO (enough to post it to begin with, and then enough to debate it later) about the "fictional universe". You cared enough to assert the things you have asserted and stuck by them.... Until I shoved absolute proof of you being wrong into your face. At which point you threw your hands in the air and said, "Sour Grapes!" before storming off (for those of you who don't know the story of Sour Grapes and how it came to be an expression... It is worth looking up to get the full story. Interesting Aesop).

I'm sorry it took all of five minutes to blow your theory out of the water? Well... it would've been less... But I had to find the required videos on YouTube first.

Look, I get it. It doesn't feel good to be proven wrong. I understand that. It does suck quite a bit. But c'mon, you're a gamer like me. You can be more mature about it next time. I'm not offended, I'm just trying to help you out. You can easily disarm someone who proved you wrong by simply smiling and admitting you were wrong. By saying, "oh, I didn't know that" or "I had forgotten that, thanks for reminding me". There is no harm or shame in making mistakes. Mistakes are learning experiences. I've been wrong before.

There was a topic a while back in here about the size of fleets and I had to go back and reread through it all before admitting I was wrong. The guy I was arguing with even had an open discussion with me about the Thanix cannon where we agreed what PROBABLY happened even though there was no real guarantee one way or the other.

You were wrong this time and that's fine. Perhaps next time you can be right and I'll be the one that's wrong. I have dialogue memorized verbatum, but not the Codex. Just how it is. I care a lot about the series, so I wanted to understand the material as well as I could. I have a long ways to go in that, but that's okay.

Anyway, sorry to make you so angry about it. Perhaps next time I won't make you so angry.

I don't really care that I'm wrong, even if somewhere in that wall of text you've mashed out proves it. You've failed at doing it in a concise manner, and lost my attention. I post as a sign that I read it, not really that I care. It's common courtesy, considering there's no indication that I "read" it, even though I'm not actually reading it. I'm not interested in the game's lore on a Star Trek nerd level. It's just not well laid out enough considering how many people are writing it.

Vigil being a plotpoint is one thing, but any amount of vagueness (by either poor writing or otherwise) on the collective writing's behalf leads to equal parts mystery and equal parts misinterpretation. I'll respect your right to gush over this lore as if it's praise-worthy, but if being correct in Mass Effect lore is something to be championing, I question what it would matter if you were "wrong" in another discussion. To me, it's an average video game, with some complex lore that apparently people will DDoS in forum format to oppose something they don't agree with.

Ok the endings are absolute trash and lazy here is what the endings should have been

1. Worst ending reapers win killing all advanced life leaving for a new cycle.

2. Second worst shepard and whole team dies and most of the galaxy the reapers are weakened to the point where they retreat and are not destroyed buying the galaxy a short amount of time before they return killing the rest of the galaxy.

3. Third worst Shepard and whole team dies and most of the galaxy but the reapers are defeated.

4. Middle ground Shepard dies some of your team lives and most of the galaxy survives reapers are defeated

5. Second good Shepard lives most of team survives and galaxy reapers defeated.

6. Best ending Shepard lives all of your team and most of galaxy survives defeating the reapers.

In all the endings you see the full outcome of what happened and why how your team lives or dies this includes people not on your team such as kasumi jack wrex etc in the good ending you see how you and your team react to what happened in both the good endings your love interest survives in the best you and said love interest get married as they start their lives in a galaxy free from the reaper threat. You find out the significance of the dark energy which it ends up being the catalyst that can be used to destroy the reapers. There should also be a battle in space controlling the Normandy fighting the reapers and a final boss fighting harbinger starting in space with the Normandy then on the citadel as Shepard and your whole team including kasumi jack wrex etc this battle would not happen in the worst two endings for you have already been killed losing to the reapers. The way this works is that the Normandy destroys harbingers shields’ making it vulnerable and it goes to stop Shepard from activating the citadel in its weakened state ultimately being defeated depending on other factors of what ending you would get this is where you and your team will live or die.

What was so hard about that bioware I wrote this up in a few minutes putting more effort into this game than you did in your years, and if you noticed most of the endings I said are sad you die in four and the whole galaxy dies in two I didn’t make it all sunshine and lollipops but these endings would have pleased most people. All your choices would have mattered into what ending you got only by getting all the races to fight with you would get the best ending making it hard to achieve. And in none of the endings are the mass relays destroyed that's just stupid and you know it making all of what you did for nothing. It’s sad to see such a great game series end on such a lazy shoe horned bland note the combat was made so well in this game and upgrade system etc if these endings could be put in as free dlc it would please all who are angered making five years and lots of money not a waste but worth every second you have the power bioware there is time to save the galaxy from cliché lazy endings. spread this around and maybe it will hit someone in bioware that can fix this.

Just as useful as the majority of your input on these boards.

I don't really care that I'm wrong, even if somewhere in that wall of text you've mashed out proves it. You've failed at doing it in a concise manner, and lost my attention. I post as a sign that I read it, not really that I care. It's common courtesy, considering there's no indication that I "read" it, even though I'm not actually reading it. I'm not interested in the game's lore on a Star Trek nerd level. It's just not well laid out enough considering how many people are writing it.

Vigil being a plotpoint is one thing, but any amount of vagueness (by either poor writing or otherwise) on the collective writing's behalf leads to equal parts mystery and equal parts misinterpretation. I'll respect your right to gush over this lore as if it's praise-worthy, but if being correct in Mass Effect lore is something to be championing, I question what it would matter if you were "wrong" in another discussion. To me, it's an average video game, with some complex lore that apparently people will DDoS in forum format to oppose something they don't agree with.

1. It's a message board. If you're not into reading to begin with, you're in the wrong place. I suggest a chat for those people more interested in short single-sentence (or not even that) answers that are basically baseless assertions. For those who like an intellectual debate... Well, there are Message Boards.

2. You were interested in what I was posting all the way up until I posted videos that proved your point of view wrong. Either this is coincidence... Or you've effectively just tried to deny you cared because there's no way to recover from it. I've long since given up on belief in "coincidence", but others may still believe in it. So, you know where my opinion on that subject lies. Also, if I "lost your interest", you wouldn't continue replying to me. You'd have left it with your last post that said you don't care. You wouldn't have made yet another post asserting you don't care. You know, just saying... Human Behavior is fairly predictable... Human Reasoning is just as predictable.

3. So you post as a courtesy (which I've never ever heard of doing, nobody does that apparantly except you) as well as to indicate you read it. But you just admit that you're lying about having read it, and you just want people to think you've read it because it somehow makes you cool or something? I don't know. Your point on that basically devolves into some kind of incoherant gibberish. You'll have to explain that one to me again, because I don't get it. It also becomes a bit less clear whether you read it or not because you quote everything you're replying to which is an indicator you've actually read it... Despite saying you haven't... And now I've gone crosseyed.

4. I think you're trying to devolve the conversation into deragatory statements of some sort by basically trying to say I'm a "Star Trek Nerd" except with Mass Effect. I fail to see the connection as I'm just following the story the game programmers/writers put forth (you know, what's known as canon in any genre with a story... including books and sometimes music...). However, if you see my interest as "Nerdiness", then I'm fine with that. We all have to be passionate about something. Your passions for say Soccer (as an example only) may be equal to those guys who Cosplay Star Trek and know all the lore. Fundamentally, I see no difference between people who are passionate about their interests and the "Star Trek Nerds". I see on TV all the passionate people about American Football with their painted faces, endless cheering, and costume wearing. How is this different than those who are passionate about Star Trek? Other than... you know... Some arbitrary "acceptance" that it's okay to be passionate about sports, but not about Science Fiction. I am passionate about my ideals and about stories. Mass Effect happens to be one of the best stories I've experienced. If that level of passion puts me in the same scope as the aforementioned "Nerds", then I'm happy to be there. If you don't care as much, that's fine. Just don't profess to know anything about the game (or even make hypothesis about them) when there are others who know more. Indeed the passionate WOULD know more about it. It makes little sense to do so.

5. I don't really understand your complaint about Mass Effect either. Well, perhaps that isn't the right thing to say. I understand if you don't enjoy the game. That is perfectly fine. Though it does make me question why you played all three if it was a "mediocre" game. Looking through your profile reveals you haven't played the original Mass Effect at all. And yet despite you saying Mass Effect is "average", you gave Mass Effect 2 a rating of 93% and Mass Effect 3 a rating of 78%. How are those scores "average"? Wouldn't average be around 50%? You confuse me again here. You also seem to play a massive amount of "action" and "shooter" games, which may explain why you don't care much about story. I get that, most "shooter" fans don't have the patience for a story. I started out as a "shooter fan" and didn't have the patience for it. Then I ran into Perfect Dark 64 and later Halo... Changed my mind. Mass Effect obviously isn't what is going to change your mind, but that's okay. It doesn't have to.

6. I'm not really sure why people bandy about "poor writing" so often. As a writer, this tends to confuse me and I'm beginning to think it's a "catchphrase" that is supposed to exempt the audience member making the complaint from actually producing proof of said "poor writing". Some people do provide proof of it, and that's useful to a writer... But the vast majority using said phrase... Well, they don't provide any examples. They usually make excuses or half-hearted arguments when pressed about examples as well. Stuff that usually indicates they never engaged in the material what-so-ever. "Vagueness" is also often intentional. Especially with "unreliable sources/narrators" involved. Often, the point of "vagueness" is to get the reader to do the intended work. Perhaps what I want a reader/viewer to think is scary isn't the same as what they percieve as scary. By being vague about it... The reader/viewer can "fill in the blanks" on their own and scare themselves far more effectively than I ever could have. Especially since all people have different fears. It's frequently used with "Suspense" which is kind of dead these days. Look at "Jaws" as an example. You get almost 90% of the way through that movie before you ever really see the shark. You glimpse a fin here or there, but that's it. It was effective (and still is to an extent) as horror or a "monster movie" because of that suspense and "vagueness". A poor use of "vagueness" occurs when there's no logical reason in the story for something to be vague. This is often what "bad writing" is. Ignoring the continuity and rules of the world you have written into existence for whatever reason (typically the need for fame in fanfiction or the need to make money without spending much of it in the film industry).

7. The definition of "lore" as you're trying to use it basically applies to any body of knowledge, and not just Mass Effect or "nerd stuff" in general. "Collective knowledge or wisdom on a particular subject, esp of a traditional nature" as dictionary dot com puts it. Pretty much applies to anything, but it's usually associated with traditions and archaic things.

8. Distributed Denial of Service. What? DDoS. Yep, that's exactly what you likened my posts to. Do you even know what that is? At all? Because I don't think it means what you think it means. If you're going to write it, know what it means and how to properly use it in context. You've done neither.

9. Is being correct in "Mass Effect Lore" something to be championing? I'm not sure. Depends on what you value. I value being correct on every subject I choose to participate in. I value finding the truth when I cannot be correct on the subject so that I'm better prepared for future instances. This applies across the board and not strictly to Mass Effect. I value being correct or having "the truth" in any topic or subject. Whether it be my personal beliefs or the price of gas down the street. I don't see Mass Effect as some exception to the rule just because some people "look down on it" for whatever reason they have. But, to get more philosophical... Is being correct... AT ALL something to be championing? Does it matter if you're right about any other subject in the scheme of things? Probably not. I'll die, you'll die, that knowledge is meaningless in such a context. Perhaps we might start an argument about Paintball and all the various rules (this is again an example) in which you might be arguing from the standpoint of more knowledge. A standpoint I don't share because I have little interest in it and thus little knowledge. But, I had heard accounts from people who did play it, so thought I knew something about it. If you were to prove me wrong on such a subject, wouldn't it be turned around? Should we be championing if you were right in such a matter? I suppose if one doesn't value "Truth" you could see all acts to get at and distribute it as "pointless endeavors" that "do not need to be championed".

STOP WHINING!!! I'm sad that you prefer a cliche ending: Shepard dies but destroys reapers, we see every squad memeber happy to defeat the Reapers.

Really you want that?? You want THAT to be the ending of a franchise that changed vidoegames? You want THAT to be the ending of the most unique videogame? (For me it's the greatest videogame of all time)

You should thank Bioware, cause they created the Star Wars of our generation. They created the best story on videogames history. They created an amazing franchise.

The ending is genious.

You say you did a lot of choices troughout the series for nothing?? Well think twice.

Every one of those choices had a repercussion. Made every mission in ME3 special.

Do You honestly think that Bioware is lazy, they just said, aa F&%$ we made a HELL of a story, with every detail covered, hours and hours of gameplay, SO let's just make a shitty ending with 3 decisions. After everything we did, years of developing, years of writing, do you honestly think that they were lazy? that they tried to screw us?

There's a reason beyond those choices, there's more to it. We just have to figure it out. I think Bioware is genius.

Admittedly, I did not read through all 9 Pages.

Besides the Actual Ending of the game being terrible, how about the Entire Final Mission?

The intro, and the Alliance base was pretty Awesome, where you could talk to everyone(For the most part anyway). But After that, while the setting was Fantastic, it was extremely uninspired.

What happened to the Terminus or Batarian Fleets? They never even get mentioned. Where is my Geth Prime Unit? What about the Turian Blackwatch? Or the Serrice Guard? Or the Armali sniper Unit? Where's Kirrahe with my STG unit? Where's My Spectre Unit? Where's wrex, Grunt, and Aralahk Company?

Samara, Zaeed, Jacob, Miranda, Jack(and others im forgetting) - Where are all the people I Recruited to help me?! I also think your entire Crew Should have been involved in the final Mission, not just the ones you pick to tag along with you.

You know, I could believe the whole Indoctrination/Hallucination Theory about the Ending, but that could just be me wanting a Better ending.

I don't even Care if Shepard Dies, in Fact I would prefer it. The most Legendary Heroes usually Sacrifice themselves in the end. I knew it wouldn't be a fairy tale ending, but what we got stuck with is just completely ridiculous. No Closure at all.

So While I think the Hallucination/indoctrination Theory is great, I also can see that its just upset people trying to Justify what a Horrible, Shitty, and just plain BAD Ending Bioware gave us.

I do agree that it was pretty lame that there werent more cutscenes depicting the sources you gathered up actually doing something.

5. I don't really understand your complaint about Mass Effect either. Well, perhaps that isn't the right thing to say. I understand if you don't enjoy the game. That is perfectly fine. Though it does make me question why you played all three if it was a "mediocre" game. Looking through your profile reveals you haven't played the original Mass Effect at all. And yet despite you saying Mass Effect is "average", you gave Mass Effect 2 a rating of 93% and Mass Effect 3 a rating of 78%. How are those scores "average"? Wouldn't average be around 50%? You confuse me again here. You also seem to play a massive amount of "action" and "shooter" games, which may explain why you don't care much about story. I get that, most "shooter" fans don't have the patience for a story. I started out as a "shooter fan" and didn't have the patience for it. Then I ran into Perfect Dark 64 and later Halo... Changed my mind. Mass Effect obviously isn't what is going to change your mind, but that's okay. It doesn't have to.

You need to look at actual gamertag profiles and not 360a profiles. People don't generally fill out their information on 360a as fully as they are supposed to. I know for a fact that Auburok played all three and 100% the first two... and working on 100%ing the last one.

I liked the ending to be honest. at least if the indoctrinated theory is true, that Harbinger was trying to trick Shep into not destroying the reapers. And the "secret" ending with the child who wants to hear more about "the Shepard" was just epic.

BUT I can't help wondering what the next game/books is going to be about. I mean, the books if anything have proven that Shep doesn't have to be involved to make a great story, but perhaps the biggest attraction with the ME universe is it's mysteries; the Reapers and the Protheans. and now that they have been mostly revealed..

Right just done it. This is the best series ever made IMO. But wtf was that. I didnt solve anything. At the end i chose to walk straight ahead took me ages to decide. So shepherd died relays got destroyed even tho i though i choose the good ending. No idea what happened to reapers or the races or even your squad. What did bioware do!

EDIT: They cant make another game not without shep.

EDIT2: Thinking about it that was brilliant i was indoctranated ( cant spell ) because the good option was red but i didnt want to control them so i went neutral!Fuck you reapers!

Edited by xTGMx INF3RNO

Right just done it. This is the best series ever made IMO. But wtf was that. I didnt solve anything. At the end i chose to walk straight ahead took me ages to decide. So shepherd died relays got destroyed even tho i though i choose the good ending. No idea what happened to reapers or the races or even your squad. What did bioware do!

EDIT: They cant make another game not without shep.

EDIT2: Thinking about it that was brilliant i was indoctranated ( cant spell ) because the good option was red but i didnt want to control them so i went neutral!Fuck you reapers!

Sure they can. Mass Effect IV: the Search for Shepard.

I liked the ending to be honest. at least if the indoctrinated theory is true, that Harbinger was trying to trick Shep into not destroying the reapers. And the "secret" ending with the child who wants to hear more about "the Shepard" was just epic.

BUT I can't help wondering what the next game/books is going to be about. I mean, the books if anything have proven that Shep doesn't have to be involved to make a great story, but perhaps the biggest attraction with the ME universe is it's mysteries; the Reapers and the Protheans. and now that they have been mostly revealed..

the same as everything else that comes to to an end... writers make up new big bad that wants to destroy/enslave/do something naughty to the universe and so some hero has to kill it... mysteries form about where it came from and why and so on and so forth

STOP WHINING!!! I'm sad that you prefer a cliche ending: Shepard dies but destroys reapers, we see every squad memeber happy to defeat the Reapers.

Really you want that?? You want THAT to be the ending of a franchise that changed vidoegames? You want THAT to be the ending of the most unique videogame? (For me it's the greatest videogame of all time)

You should thank Bioware, cause they created the Star Wars of our generation. They created the best story on videogames history. They created an amazing franchise.

The ending is genious.

You say you did a lot of choices troughout the series for nothing?? Well think twice.

Every one of those choices had a repercussion. Made every mission in ME3 special.

Do You honestly think that Bioware is lazy, they just said, aa F&%$ we made a HELL of a story, with every detail covered, hours and hours of gameplay, SO let's just make a shitty ending with 3 decisions. After everything we did, years of developing, years of writing, do you honestly think that they were lazy? that they tried to screw us?

There's a reason beyond those choices, there's more to it. We just have to figure it out. I think Bioware is genius.

People aren't whining they are voicing their opinion. And it's not the fact that all 3 endings are almost the exact same scene with some different actions and different light show. Or the fact that Shepard dies in fact most people where expecting that to happen.

No. What's pissing people off is the lack of closure and randomness of the ending.

I.E WTF was the Normandy doing a Mass Relay jump for and why the hell were the two squad members on the Normandy when just 5 minutes ago they were there on earth with me and in London making the final push to the beam? Can you explain that? It makes no fricking sense. It completely and totally random and had nothing to do with the story. You can't sit there and tell me that didn't bug you or make you go WTF.

Now is Mass Effect 3 a great game? Damn straight it is but the ending just feels random. And the ending is was has a lasting effect on people not what happened at the start. You can write a great movie or book but if the ending is at the same level then it takes away from it.

Mass Effect had the potential to go down as one of the greatest most epic stories ever told. But with a ending with no real closure and randomness it can't be put there.

But that's my opinion and you can agree with it or not. But don't say people who don't like the game are "whining" cause they aren't.

I actually liked the ending(s).

Basically the shit is hitting the fan and they are better choices than extinction. Considering how much Shep and the Normandy went through, and the realism vibe, maybe there isn't supposed to be a good, happy ending. Just one that is less bad.

Loved the game. Start to finish I actually enjoyed it. Ghost boy was a bit off but the I have no major issue with that. Could it have been better? Yes. Was it awful? In my book, no.

Basically the shit is hitting the fan and they are better choices than extinction. Considering how much Shep and the Normandy went through, and the realism vibe, maybe there isn't supposed to be a good, happy ending. Just one that is less bad.

Loved the game. Start to finish I actually enjoyed it. Ghost boy was a bit off but the I have no major issue with that. Could it have been better? Yes. Was it awful? In my book, no.

I don't think it was awful either. If they could have left out the part about the Normandy and maybe show what happens to shepard's romance if they died or what not. It would go down as a great ending. But the whole Normandy thing just kinda ruins it for me.

Still one of my favorite games of all time.

Edited by scrummers

It isn't the endings that bug me. It is the lack of closure and the raising of answers. In the last 20 minutes we get a god child, the Normandy randomly going places, squad mates disappearing.

Plus, after three games I was invested in the galaxy, and nothing is shown about it. I got the galaxy ready to accept the Geth and Rachnai, cured the genophage, etc. and what do I get? Gates out of action(Meaning death of galactic civilization) and nothing said about the galaxy.

So it ended with no closure and more questions. Pretty much biggest reason to get next game. Bioware played their cards right. Now we will all have to get the next game to get a few more questions answered.