Disc Tray gets stuck?

Slaughter.

Sometimes when I shut down the Xbox console without a disc in the tray, it will get temporarily get stuck and I have to press the open button for like 5 minutes straight. Am I the only one who has stumbled across this problem?

I had this problem with the arcade xbox, like you say if u don't leave a game in tray it will get stuck and u have to press the open tray button forever, but i fixed the problem by just getting like a flat-head screwdriver and just putting it on the top of the tray opening and whenever u hit the open tray button just push the screwdriver towards u and it opens up first try, but the reason for it is the disk tray is probably uneven or lose inside the xbox and not catching it when you try to opening it, you probably jammed it up a little bit so it wouldn't open until it caught and finally opens, but if you don't want to try the solution I gave you then just go a get somebody to take the xbox apart and just even out the tray back up or get it unstuck if it is, because I do believe u probably jammed it by mistake and just gets stuck when trying to open.

Edited by TR0UBLE

Sometimes when I shut down the Xbox console without a disc in the tray, it will get temporarily get stuck and I have to press the open button for like 5 minutes straight. Am I the only one who has stumbled across this problem?

Nope. I still have the same problem. Last time it happened it took me thirty minutes to get the damn thing open. You can also take off the faceplate and somewhere near the disc tray should be a small emergency release button. Just get a paper clip and press it.

Chances are the belt on the inside of the Xbox that lets the tray roll out is either gummed up with dirt or going out. It's an easy fix, and if you have to replace the belt they are cheap on Ebay and easy to replace.

Watch this video, as he cleans both the original Xbox and 360 drive belts. I've had to clean mine twice in the last year, as it just gets gummed up with dirt and dust after so long.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owSmOwGqijM]XBOX and XBOX 360 Stuck Drive Fix - YouTube[/ame]

Mine gets stuck if the Xbox gets moved ever so slightly, even the movement of the disc tray opening seems to screw it up. Normally just take the faceplate off and wedge something like a knife or scissors in it slightly and give it a wiggle when I press the open tray button.

Yeah i have the same problem with mine right now. It's been going on for a while now.

I always leave a game in these days because of how bad it is, sometimes though it will decide to open when i am playing a game, that's is extremely annoying :mad:

I only get the problem when the 360 is standing, when i have it flat i don't have the problem. The thing is i can no longer keep my 360 flat because i don't have the space.

Chances are the belt on the inside of the Xbox that lets the tray roll out is either gummed up with dirt or going out. It's an easy fix, and if you have to replace the belt they are cheap on Ebay and easy to replace.

Watch this video, as he cleans both the original Xbox and 360 drive belts. I've had to clean mine twice in the last year, as it just gets gummed up with dirt and dust after so long.

Brilliant. I just followed his instructions and now it works better than ever.

Kind of disgusted by the ammount of dust in there though. Maybe I need to vacuum more often. :p

Brilliant. I just followed his instructions and now it works better than ever.

Kind of disgusted by the ammount of dust in there though. Maybe I need to vacuum more often. :p

Heh! I should probably give mine a good clean before I have to resort to prying open the tray with a screwdriver. It's not like I open the drive much anyway though.

my xbox does it to just leave a game in it and its fine.

Your Xbox does it to what?

I think mine's dying.

To open it I have to press open then hold my finger in the middle of the tray for it to slowly come out.

Then to lose it I have to press close, wait for it to go in and then hold my finger on the middle and hopefully it'll read the disc; if not it'll pop back out a little then I repeat the close steps.

I could probably fix it really easily too but I don't really play much of my 360 recently so it'll get fixed eventually.

Both of my consoles have been relatively disc tray problem-free for their respective lifespans. There was one incident where a friend practically rammed the tray closed for whatever reason. When I opened the tray later, it was stuck, but popping the face plate off and pulling a bit seemed to fix it. Thankfully, there was no lasting damage.

Related, I've been having this problem with my original Xbox for the last few years. It sporadically happens so I'm not concerned with repairing it anytime soon, until it eats a disc and refuses to give it back.

• 4 years later...