Do your headphone ports break?

Outline

I've had this with several controllers, when I plug the microphone in, it doesn't pick up the mic, or only half detects it - rotating the jack sometimes helps, but not entirely.

With my current controller (a couple weeks old), I was eager to try out a new set of Astros - but I'm finding the same problem.

Is this common? Any good fixes for it?

I think in some cases, it might be the wire going into the controller that gets 'loose' and causes problems. I used to have problems too, but after I bought a new Turtle Beach X31 (My old one was falling apart anyways) it seemed to be fine, I haven't had problems since then, I've been using the same controller as I did when I had my other headset (when I was having problems). I also use a chatpad on my controller, so I think that may interfere with the whole situation. But as of now, I'm not having any problems. :)

After reading the posts it seems Xbox mic plug-ins are made in China. I only had issues with mine after a year. I got my Xbox in Christmas of 09' and didn't notice issues till CoD:Blops. The reason I bring this up is because the headset icon pops up next to your mic when you have it plugged in, and it was there but I didn't have one plugged in. After 5 minutes of fiddling with it I was able to unplug it and register as unplugged. I don't know if it cuts out, or doesn't pick up voice because I haven't stared at the chat window, but it's annoying if nothing else.

The headphone ports are the first thing to go on my controllers. I don't buy third party controllers, and only have a few third party mics. But I haven't had a controller last more than six months yet that didn't start to static or lose connection.

Yea, it happens very frequently to me. Very annoying. Only thing I've realized about it is that it's better if you don't leave your headset plugged in when you're not using it. It seems to give me less problems if it hasn't been plugged in all night when the box is off. Other than that, no clue on a solution. Microsoft with their cheap ass accessories. Honestly, with this "wireless" generation, every Xbox 360 should've come with a wireless headset in the package since the beginning anyway. Along with this cheap piece of crap.

Edit: Forgot to add, the headset doesn't even work with the chatpad it came with anymore. Makes no sense.