Any risk with getting a 120 HD off Ebay?

QueenFragger000

Hey guys...I have a old Pro system and I'm sick to death of running out of space on my 20 gig HD.

I found a bunch of 120's on Ebay for like 60 bucks. I know I need to make sure they're MS authentic or they won't work after the recent Live update...but is there any other risk I run by getting a used hard drive and using it?

I mean, if the thing was somehow modded, the previous owner's console was modded...will something like that end up getting me banned?

I'm pretty sure it's ok...but I just want to make sure. I'm a tad paranoid :)

The HDD should be fine, but for the love of god dont buy a transfer cable from Hong kong. I bought one, and instead of sending me the actual MS transfer disc they sent me a mini disc with a panda on it. It had 360explorer on it, which is a glitchy, unsafe program that's also used for game saving as well as transferring data. And the instructions were either in chinese or completley non-sensical english.

I personally wouldn't do it. MS are cracking down on fake HDD's and have banned a lot of consoles for it recently. So to be safe, make 100% sure that its an official MS product, otherwise don't get it.

What? Please link to reliable sources that you got this information from. Console bans got handed out for people who modded them...unofficial memory units/HDD's just got disabled in an update.

The HDD should be fine, but for the love of god dont buy a transfer cable from Hong kong. I bought one, and instead of sending me the actual MS transfer disc they sent me a mini disc with a panda on it. It had 360explorer on it, which is a glitchy, unsafe program that's also used for game saving as well as transferring data. And the instructions were either in chinese or completley non-sensical english.

Ok that panda thing got me cracking up for a good 5 minutes.

I bought a 20 gig from ebay and it works perfectly fine.

It's definitely all about the feedback and the it not being from hong kong.

Edited by TheJuggernautExperience

What? Please link to reliable sources that you got this information from. Console bans got handed out for people who modded them...unofficial memory units/HDD's just got disabled in an update.

Aw man your not going to make me search for a link! Ahhh i'll see if i can find it.

From what i remember, it was around the time the 250GB MW2 Console came out, and a heap of unofficial 250 HDD's popped up on Ebay and such.

I'll have a look, see if i can find a solid link :)

~EDIT~

Major Nelson advises

Xbox Live's Major Nelson blogs: "When Preview Program members start receiving the Xbox 360 system update next week, one of the changes is that unauthorized Memory Units will no longer work with the Xbox 360. If you've moved your profile or saved games onto one to "back it up," you'd better move it back onto an authorized Xbox 360 storage device prior to taking the update.

"If you continue to use an unauthorised Memory Unit after the update, you will not be able to access your stored profile or saved games."

And the link

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/microsoft-bans-unofficial-xbox-360-memory-units-643296

Edited by DENAz666