Professor Portal Online achievement

Frankie Godskin

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1383/5-oTKkM=.jpgProfessor Portal 75 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/site/gp-g.png

After completing co-op, complete Calibration Course online with a friend who hasn’t played before

"Calibration Course" is the first co-op tutorial level. That means getting this achievement requires three players:

1. Player 1: You, who are getting the achievement. You play the entire co-op game with Player 2.
  2. Player 2: Your friend who plays the entire game co-op with you.
  3. Player 3: Your friend who did not play the game co-op until you were finished. The day you're done, you ask Player 3 to join your co-op game. This match must be online, not split-screen. You host a match on the calibration course, and when you're done, the Professor Portal achievement pops.

So for this achievement, you need help from 2 others, and one of them has to be patient enough that they'll wait for you to finish co-op before THEY start co-op. Also, neither of them get the achievement using the model I described, meaning a fourth player would have to join Player 2 for them to get the achievement. It's like a really annoying pyramid scheme.

The alternative solution is substituting Player 3 in the above example with a dummy Gold account. If you and Player 2 both have dummy accounts, you can get each other the achievement with only 2 people.

Either way, it's a bit of work, requiring either 3 people or dummy accounts. A surprisingly dumb achievement from the people who brought us The Orange Box, which IMO is the best achievement list ever created.

Please use this thread either to offer your online cherry to others so they can get the achievement or to look for players whose online cherry you can pop.

REMEMBER: Both the player getting the achievement and the person who has never played before MUST BE ON EACH OTHER'S FRIENDS LIST BEFORE STARTING THE GAME.

Edited by Frankie Godskin
Added "Friends List" reminder

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be willing to create a dummy gold account if someone did the same for me.. only takes a few minutes to set up and should be easy to trade. I wouldn't worry about this achievement too much. I think we'll be able to play at our own pace and when people are ready find someone to trade with.

In case anyone doesn't know.. you get a free month gold for each new gamertag with a unique email address.

Edited by nayR2012

Let's hope you can backup, then delete your savefile to boost this achievement!

I'd be happy to add my name to an 'achievement trading thread' once this game is out and we're all happy about how to unlock the achievement. I've got a couple of HDs and MCs for such a purpose! I have 4 TF2 savefiles, each with 500hrs of PYRO data on them!

I'll be playing PORTAL2 24/7 anyway, so helping our little community out will be a bonus!

Edited by tastefulmrship
I kinda fecked up a bit! See the post below for how much I fecked up!

I'm happy to add my name to an 'achievement trading thread' once this game is out and we're all happy about how to unlock the achievement. I'll be playing this 24/7 anyway, so helping our little community out will be a bonus!

Oh for sure, this'll be the first time since joining this site that I can actually use it.

Yeah, the boosting threads will be overflowing when this game comes out. I feel like playing with randoms in this game is a very bad idea

Had to LOL! at this one, too true, but I'm going to try to convince one of my normal team mates to get the game so we're familiar with each others idiosyncrasies. :p

May have to buy Bulletstorm to play with him co-op as part of the deal, darn....rubber arm... being ...twisted...ow.

um what about a normal account on splitscreen? i know it says online but could this be one of those achievements where you just have to be logged in to xbox to get it?

however this achievement is quite stupid. Its going to be a pain to find someone who hasnt played it before :(

I'm gonna coin this term first. The hunt for "Portal virgins" begins!!! Eh? Whadda think?

Edited by RBmaster9345

however this achievement is quite stupid. Its going to be a pain to find someone who hasnt played it before :(

I would agree that it is annoying but it is definitely not stupid. In fact it is quite ingenious. They are trying to increase their sales and expose more people to the game by taking advantage of us achievement whores and making us try to get friends who otherwise wouldn't play the game to play.

I personally believe the sentence "complete Calibration Course online with a friend who hasn’t played before" is referring to somebody who hasn't played the Calibration Course specific. Not the co-op itself. So therefore you can do it with two of you. But we will see.

God I hope so. I'd assume it was someone who hasnt played Co-op before. But we'll see

I personally believe the sentence "complete Calibration Course online with a friend who hasn’t played before" is referring to somebody who hasn't played the Calibration Course specific. Not the co-op itself. So therefore you can do it with two of you. But we will see.

I disagree. The "Professor" title in the achievement, along with the tile picture of a professor teaching, indicates someone with experience teaching someone with no experience. Also, if "Calibration Course" is the first level of the co-op chapter, there's no way around it.

As you said, we will see. Since none of us have played yet, we're just speculating, so who knows?

I disagree. The "Professor" title in the achievement, along with the tile picture of a professor teaching, indicates someone with experience teaching someone with no experience. Also, if "Calibration Course" is the first level of the co-op chapter, there's no way around it.

As you said, we will see. Since none of us have played yet, we're just speculating, so who knows?

I'd have to agree. If it was a separate course that could be skipped, co-op partners would just do it AFTER completing the co-op campaign. That's too easy and definitely not worth 75G.

It's most certaintly the first course of the co-op map set. God I hope it's just people who havent played only co-op though. Just introduced my roommate for next year to Portal and now he cant get enough. I showed him all the latest vids and now he cant wait. Maybe I can beat it before him for a very conveniently timed chievo