Using Ashley and Kaiden in one playthrough

Ravenstien

I'm trying to get the Soldier and Sentinel Ally achievements and I've been using both Ashley and Kaiden since the get-go, but I realised I'd bump into a problem when I get to Virmire seeing as I have to kill one of them...do I have to complete Virmire to get the Ally Achievements?

I'm aware that I'll need to do it for the 'completionist' achievement eventually, but I'll do it on my Hardcore playthrough.

Before you even think about going to Virmire, in fact before you even do Feros (If you did Therum and Noveria first - if not, before whichever is your 3rd main world) go and do every possible side mission, returning to the Citadel when necessary.

For both Soldier and Sentinel achievements, I took them everywhere and did everything I could get (except collection assignments), and the order of worlds I played were Therum, Noveria, Feros, then Virmire. That's the order I usually play anyway. The ally achievements usually unlock near the beginning of Feros for me, i.e. my 3rd main mission world, as long as I've done all side assignments (except collecting), including the Citadel ones for first and second visits (and returns to complete of world missions).

It's also a good idea to make sure you do the side assignments on the main worlds (Noveria has a few as well as Feros), just to be sure. Of course the DLC's help too, especially Bring Down the Sky since it has side assignments.

Getting these out of the way will free you up well before Virmire to let whichever die when the time comes. And remember if you're pursuing romance with one of them, don't let that one die ;)

Edited by jkthunder

Long story short, you can get the Sentinel and Soldier ally achievements in the same playthrough, long before you even have to go to Virmire. I can vouch for this myself: got them both on my Hardcore playthrough, both during my 3rd main mission.

Just be sure to do every possible assignment you can find (had at least 35-7 under my belt before my 3rd main mission), and leave Virmire for last. In the case that you do not get the achievement by time you hit Virmire, simply save before you go, go through the mission, kill off either teammate, then continue to play until you get one of the achievements. Then, reload the save and kill off the other, and continue to play until you get the other achievement. Simple as that. :)

Hmm, I tend to do Therum, Feros, then Noveria as there's loads of backtracking on Noveria. I've just got off the tram at Noveria. I haven't done many sidequests yet, but I'll do them after I finish Noveria, hopefully it'll pop then.

If not, I'll just do Stuhp's method.

Alternatively, if I don't get Kaiden (I always kill him), I'll just leave him until my Engineer playthrough and kill Ashley.

I had this problem just a few days ago but i actually got to Virmire and not unlocked either! Luckily i saved before Virmire. Anyway not to worry i unlocked Sentinal, soldier and completionist achievements before Virmire. I suggest do all all missions then then when you get to go to virmire stop and do side quests until the achievements unlock. I did around 54 missions in total (including story missions) before the achievements unlocked. Also i still havent gone to Virmire as i have literally done every quest availabale to me and unlocked level 50. Id recommened it if you plan on going through the game on hardcore. One last thing make sure you choose Ashley in Virmire if your going along with her in your paramour achievement otheriwse it ends there!

Long story short, you can get the Sentinel and Soldier ally achievements in the same playthrough, long before you even have to go to Virmire. I can vouch for this myself: got them both on my Hardcore playthrough, both during my 3rd main mission.

Just be sure to do every possible assignment you can find (had at least 35-7 under my belt before my 3rd main mission), and leave Virmire for last. In the case that you do not get the achievement by time you hit Virmire, simply save before you go, go through the mission, kill off either teammate, then continue to play until you get one of the achievements. Then, reload the save and kill off the other, and continue to play until you get the other achievement. Simple as that. :)

Just as Blazman said, get popping on the side quests until the achievements unlock, and before you go to Virmire. Have you been to the Citadel again since you first left? New assignments open up when you return again, and as you may know, you can systematically travel to each system and planet and just land wherever it's possible and rack up assignments that way.

I'm a little concerned myself, I have used Ashley and Kaiden since the get-go. Kaiden's sentinel achievement popped right before the end of Noveria. I now have gone through Virmire and Ashley's soldier hasn't hit yet. I didn't kill her as I am doing the paramour with her and want her achieve, it's just odd I haven't gotten her's yet. (My order was Feros, Noveria, Virmire, plus I believe over 40 side missions) I'm hoping after the citadel it will come up. Just for reference, if it doesn't come from doing the citadel mission can I do more sidequests before Ilos? I don't see why I couldn't but I want to make sure.

Edited by screamfordeath

I'm hoping after the citadel it will come up. Just for reference, if it doesn't come from doing the citadel mission can I do more sidequests before Ilos? I don't see why I couldn't but I want to make sure.

Yes you can do side mission after the citadel lockdown mission. But remember that you cant return to the citadel after that so you need to do all side mission in the citadel before doing it. And check so you dont have any side missions left that needs to be delivered to the citadel.