Achievement Guide & Roadmap

Nevander

Right, I thought I'd chip in with what I think is a slightly better way of getting 'You Have Big Guts', it's just a modification of what is already in the guide

This is on level 10, 'Refueling Base':

- Do the usual, kill everything on the level but don't go through the yellow or blue door

- Make sure you find the beserk pack (which lasts all level!)

- Go back to the alcove that you got the yellow key from

- Directly across from this alcove is another one with a shootable panel. Shoot it and it will open to reveal a secret area

- Go through this to find a panel with a demon face on it. This opens up and if you walk through, you'll be teleported to a new area which is a small bit situated above the cyber demon

- On your left is an invulnerability sphere. Pick this up and jump down to the cyberdemon

- Hit it with four DIRECT shots from the BFG and then 3-5 rockets. Five direct hits with the BFG will kill it, so don't do this

- Now start punching the f*cker. It's actually a bit difficult to land your punches because you get puched back by the rockets when you get it, try and run circles around hit, it will fire 3 rockets in a burst before having a brief pause. There's your chance.

- There is another invulnerability sphere in the room with the cyberdemon, so this will buy you some more time if the first one runs out

I think this method is better because you have two invulnerability spheres to play with :)

I managed to finally get 'You Have Huge Guts' on Tricks & Traps, but it certainly was kind of annoying without a Berserk pack. I just killed the Baron's after a bit, then kept hitting the Cyberdemon bit by bit while saving until I knew it was really weak, then punched him.

Annoying stuff, should've done it on level 10 myself, lol.

I just wanted to add where I got 'You Have Big Guts'. On level 8 Tomb of Malevolance on "No Rest for the Living" the lift lowers you down into a gaggle of imps and a cyberdemon. In the back of the room is a lift and another lift behind it. The first has a berserk pack and then the secret lift behind it has an invulnerability sphere. I did not have the BFG so I unloaded about 250 plasma rifle shots (not sure how many I hit him with when fight first started) into him and then finished him off with fists. I dont know whether this is better or worse than the previous listed areas but it worked for me (I suck at this game) with the items needed located so closely, while still having plenty of room to maneuver if needed. http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/MAP08:_Tomb_of_Malevolence_(No_Rest_for_the_Living) is where you can get instructions for the location of berserk and invulnerability.

I also got my have big guts achievement on tomb of malevolance on U.V. I didnt know about the invulnrability shpere what I did was clear all the imps out while running from the cyber demon BFG works great if you have it if not plasma can work. after i cleared them out i alternated between two save spots incase i screwed up. I would get 1 to 2 shots in with the rocket launcher on the cyber demon then run around a corner and save. I kept doing that until I got him down to one rocket would kill him. I then used the shot gun the same way shot him then run around and save until I could kill him with one shot from that. Then I used the pistol, and once you get him down where one shot from the pistol will kill him, then reload the last save you did and instead of shooting him wait around the corner and punch him one punch should kill him then.

Just make sure to save after every shot or two and make sure to alternate saves between two save files there was sevral times i saved and didnt relize a rocket was on its way to hitting me and i would have to reload the other save file. Hope that helps someone.

BTW two direct hits from the BFG will kill any cyber demon. That was the biggest problem. But other than that tip's and Tricks cyber demon was easy.

It's possible to kill one with two absolutely point blank shots but it is rare and I certainly wouldn't recommend trying unless you're invulnerable

• 2 weeks later...

"From Earth To Hell

25 Complete all levels in 'DOOM II: Hell on Earth' in Single player

Complete all the levels in this original episode to gain this achievement."

Does that have to be completed on Hurt Me Plenty or higher?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Great Guide, only i hoped that i could find some more tips on doing UV

The best way to tackle UV is to make VERY good use of ammo, since you don't get a lot, take it VERY slow through every level, and save every ten seconds, literally. If you get through an area and take minimal damage, save.

Also, make sure to keep two saves. One at the start of the level in case something goes wrong, and one for the progress of the current level.

In the original episode, one time I saved while going over a ledge accidentally, and every time I loaded I would fall into lava with no way out. Luckily I had a save at the beginning of the level.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's my tip for UV (I'm on Level 15 now):

In the "Hell On Earth", Map 1, IMMEDIATELY turn around and grab the chainsaw. This is your BESTFRIEND for the entire thing. The trick to using the chainsaw is corners/columns. But mostly corners, almost EVERY enemy hugs the wall coming around a corner to get you, thus allowing you to come up and chainsaw it really easily.

I save after EVERY SINGLE enemy I kill BUT I need to make sure it's safe to save (don't want to save then get hit by something when I load up). I have combined a no-damage and mostly chainsaw run on my path to getting Superior Firepower.

You are going to want to use the chainsaw primarily throughout the first 6 levels, it is no good on Level 7 (Dead Simple) as your only enemies aren't even effected by the chainsaw (they don't stop attacking basically). Here are enemies that are effected by the chainsaw's blade (to where they never attack or rarely attack):

- All Zombie Soldiers (Handgun, Shotgun and Chaingun)

- Imps

- Demons

- Revenant (yes, they work on revenant...HOWEVER, you should save before every encounter with one because there is the random chance he will strike in the middle of being chainsawed).

- Cacodemon

- Pain Elemantal

- Lost Soul

You've nearly got half the roster right there that the chainsaw deals with.

Tips for saving:

-SAVE AFTER EVERY ENEMY KILLED

-If you're working on a tough enemy, SAVE AFTER EVERY SUCCESSFUL SHOT FIRED AND BE IN COVER WHEN YOU SAVE, THEN RETURN AND SHOOT, RINSE REPEAT UNTIL DEAD. This method is best used on Hell Knights, Barons of Hell, Arachnatrons, Arch-Viles and especially Cyberdemons/Spider Masterminds.

-make multiple save slots in case you mess up.

-With Revenants, run up to them with the chainsaw and sometimes let it last for a few seconds then run back for cover real quick. Save, rinse and repeat. This is recommended if they constantly throw random attacks.

I still have the 200/200 (Health and armor) since I first got it because I save before every encounter and make sure I absolutely DO NOT get hit. If I get hit, I reload...I'm on Level 15 and I haven't lost any health through my progression this way. I have max ammo all guns because of my chainsaw, BUT I do occassionally use the shotgun, chaingun and sometimes the BFG.

I also earned the You Have Huge Guts achievement on Map 8. I let the Cyberdemon clear out the room of Barons of Hell, shot him a few times with the BFG and (litterly) he was within one NORMAL shotgun blast of death. I then grabbed the invincibility sphere and let at him with my fists, he was dead within seconds.

Everything I've played has been on Ultra Violent so far, only one level on Nightmare (for the achievement) but still in progress.

I'm going to do the secret levels too, just to make sure the achievement pops .__.

• 1 year later...

Some helpful channels that helped me along the way for Superior Firepower:

Both:

http://www.youtube.com/user/plasmagrab (has runs for Hell on Earth and No Rest for the Living).

Hell on Earth:

http://www.youtube.com/user/eliran172 (insane speed runs, but some tricks cannot be used on the XBLA version).

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jakuda87 (has a speed run vid all in one. I came here if I couldn't follow a run up above ^ ).

No Rest for the Living:

http://www.youtube.com/user/sdskudo (has 6/8 speed run vids for No Rest for the Living).

http://www.youtube.com/user/vanxopi (straight up walkthrough).

Remember you can always just type in "Doom II / Doom 2 Ultra-Violence Speed Run / Walkthrough" in Youtube. There is plenty of helpful videos out there. Cheers.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...