360 to support USB Storage

Cyburn360

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/18/xbox-360-gaining-usb-storage-support-in-2010-update/

Documentation obtained by Joystiq – and subsequently confirmed with two separate sources – reveals that "USB Mass Storage Device Support on Xbox 360" will soon be a reality. The document, authored by a senior software development engineer at Microsoft, states that due to "increased market penetration of high-capacity, high throughput USB mass storage devices, a 2010 Xbox 360 system update" will allow consumers to save and load game data from USB devices. The update is purportedly coming in Spring 2010.

Once the update occurs, Xbox 360 owners will be able to download Xbox Live Arcade games, Xbox Live Indie games, Games on Demand, DLC and Title Updates to the storage device. "USB storage devices may, however, have far greater memory capacity than MUs (at the date of writing, the largest MU is 512 MB), and may therefore support previously infeasible operations-such as installation of a full disc-based title." That's right, you can also store disc-based games to the USB device; however, it will require the disc to be in the tray for authentication, identical to the current functionality.

Its a 16GB limit, but thats good for keeping saves, XBLA titles etc...

If you actually read the full article it links to, it states that the defualt is the rest of the HD or 16GB, which is smaller. It says nothing about it being a hard limit, just that 16GB was the default. To me this would mean you could set it up to be whatever size you want. I guess we will have to wait and see. 16GB is a really random size limit to set up. It's an odd number of bytes for addressing. I wonder, will you be able to install your game discs to an external drive?

If you actually read the full article it links to, it states that the defualt is the rest of the HD or 16GB, which is smaller. It says nothing about it being a hard limit, just that 16GB was the default. To me this would mean you could set it up to be whatever size you want. I guess we will have to wait and see. 16GB is a really random size limit to set up. It's an odd number of bytes for addressing. I wonder, will you be able to install your game discs to an external drive?

Well from what Shacknews.com report says it didn't mention a maximum only a minimum.

Here is the report

Owners of the Xbox 360 will soon be able to store and access system data (downloadable content, game saves, downloaded games) on USB storage devices, according to Joystiq--a move that will provide Xbox 360 users with much cheaper storage solutions than Microsoft's proprietary hard drives and memory cards. "Increased market penetration of high-capacity, high throughput USB mass storage devices" led to the implementation, coming in "a 2010 Xbox 360 system update."

Going by the documentation, it seems that any compatible device must have at least 1GB of storage. Furthermore, the device will need to be speficially formatted by the Xbox 360--removing whatever's already on it--to be used as an Xbox 360 storage device.

Peripheral maker Datel had previously accused Microsoft of monopolizing the Xbox 360 peripheral market after an Xbox 360 system update disabled support for Datel's cheaper (but unauthroized) MAX Memory Cards--a move it described as "nothing more than a pretext for forcing consumers to purchase [Microsoft's] own overpriced memory cards."