what build for Alara unlocking?

i could really use a good deck list to use for unlocking cards in the Alara explore node (Garruk DLC). facing decks based on the 5 shards and I'm getting my butt totally handed to me each time, with all the decks I've built. I've only been able to beat Bant once. the Alara decks really use some unfair cards that it doesnt look like are available to us, and top decks even better than the AI normally does.

really starting to piss me off, so help with good builds to use for this would be great.

i tried both my B/R vampire aggro deck and my midrange W/B life gain life loss which uses stuff like Sanguine Bond, Rhox Faithmender, lifelink creatures etc to drain them with life gain. both of them works pretty well against the rest of the explore nodes in the main game.

This is very similar to my deck, but instead of black (Sanguine Bond is the bomb, such a bitching ability), I put in Angels and buffs. I always run W/B in real paper MTG, but with only being able to do 60 cards, I find that really gimps the deck, and going Mono anything is better than W/B. Might I suggest trying Mono White life gain/Angel deck and see what happens? I was stomping each encounter quickly, and with 50+ health each time.

If you can start an encounter with either that 1 Mana cost tiger (damnit, forget it's name, sorry; it will be the first creature spell in White if you have most of/all the cards) or 2 Mana cost Ajani's Pridemate and buff them early, you will steamroll your opponent(s). The buff that gives flying and +1/+1 per Plains is INCREDIBLY USEFUL, especially when you have it on something like the tiger or Pridemate (or both).

Ajani's Pridemates get +1/+1 any time you heal, so if you have them out and are healing regularly, they quickly become the dominant cards and wreck your opponent(s).

never mind, this mono white build is actually just spanking them easily. i thought stuff like Armored Ascension was too slow but its really not. and without Sanguine I'm not conflicted about holding onto life gain stuff in order to benefit from the life loss. thanks for the build tips!

You're very welcome. It's pretty self-explanatory, and once you do a few matches, it's easy to figure out what to keep and what to remove. It's more of an aggro-buff deck with a few Angels in case the matches go too long (Aegis is fantastic on Brimaz, for example). Let me know if you ever want build help in the future; haven't played the game in a while, but could boot it up and type out my exact build. Don't forget to include those life gain mana cards with your Plains! :D

And yeah, Armored Ascension; that's the beastly buff! Can never remember card names lol.

Edit: And wait until you get the Artifact that puts a 4/4 Angel on the field every time you heal more than 4 or 5 health in a turn. Zomg. Angel city.

Edited by Floyd.

yeah i know about that angel enchantment very well, it was in my W/B deck. i didn't put it in here and instead had some angels. guess it would work better though. oh well, that achievement is done, only one left which I'm not doing is the 100 wins online.

Haha, yeah, me too. 1,000/1,100 is good enough for me!