a few bits of info from the retail game :D

kormac

hey everyone i got my copy early monday 9th :D (im in Australia and sometimes my online store ships games really early for some reason lol)

i wont spoil anything here. just a few bits of info for the cheev fans.

1. there is a mission select screen and it also keeps a tally of how many of the items you found e.g. 3/11. you can also replay the level to collect any items you missed. only the items you missed will appear in a replay of that level. also you can play each mission on different difficulties, and it will still be tallied towards the veteran achievement (hard mode).

2. there are 13 reflex injectors. in the achievement list in the main menu it says 0/13. so after the first mission there must be 1 reflex booster in each level.

3. other achievements like 10 melee kills etc. are also tallied 0/10. you can replay a level over and over to get the achievement you require.

4. there is NO save file system. it auto saves your progress but it feels regular and with the mission select screen you never really will be annoyed to go back and find something you missed.

5. the achievement for using 50 pieces of interactive cover is easy. you simply go around flip over all the tables etc. you find. in mission 1 i did 25 of the 50 required and i wasn't really trying to find everything.

6. fear 2 is FRICKING AWESOME!!!! :D :D :D :D! it's a must buy for any fps fan.

not really anything else i can say without spoiling the game. so for anyone making a guide you can use any info here.

EDIT: just to clarify number 1, you can play missions in different difficulties, and also go back and replay a previous unlocked mission on hard mode and it will add up in the veteran 0/14 achievement. even though you haven't finished the first full playthrough it still is tallied. it's quite flexible and therefore the autosave feature isn't that much of a hassle now. basically you dont need to play the entire game on hard mode in one go.

Edited by kormac

another thing i found:

suicidal tendancies can be done in singleplayer. i checked and it's 1/5 and i haven't touched multiplayer yet. and i did accidently kill myself so it's singleplayer. also it seems to be listed as 15 gamerscore instead of 20?

also deadly ballet (kill four enemies with 1 slo mo use.) you have to do this a few times unless i mis-read the achievement. it said 2/5 or 2/4 i forget lol. so basically you gotta kill 4 enemies with 1 slo mo but do this multiple times to get the achievement. this wont be too hard once you get a few reflex boosters. i've done this twice now on hard mode with only 1 reflex booster so basically i only have 10 seconds worth.

another thing i found:

suicidal tendancies can be done in singleplayer. i checked and it's 1/5 and i haven't touched multiplayer yet. and i did accidently kill myself so it's singleplayer. also it seems to be listed as 15 gamerscore instead of 20?

also deadly ballet (kill four enemies with 1 slo mo use.) you have to do this a few times unless i mis-read the achievement. it said 2/5 or 2/4 i forget lol. so basically you gotta kill 4 enemies with 1 slo mo but do this multiple times to get the achievement. this wont be too hard once you get a few reflex boosters. i've done this twice now on hard mode with only 1 reflex booster so basically i only have 10 seconds worth.

Just to clarify, the Deadly Ballet achievement only has to be done once, the 2/4 you saw was telling you that the most you had killed in one slow-mo use was 2. I have the same thing for the Kill 4 People With 1 Grenade.

I didn't ever get round to playing the first round. I suppose it's been moderately scary, although I haven't played the game with the lights off so the atmosphere might not have been quite what the developers intended. Most of the horror is the Japanese-style stuff that I assume was in the first game (more like The Ring or The Grudge than Friday 13th), but there have been a couple of times when I jumped which was a nice surprise.

I think a lot of the scares come from the fact that when you are not in a "fire-fight section", you tend to have a period where you will be alone walking through corridors where it is obvious that "something bad" has happened, and you may see the odd bit of psychic interference, but you are anticipating something any minute. This ramps up the tension and ensures that when/if something does happen, it has an effect on you.

Just to clarify, the Deadly Ballet achievement only has to be done once, the 2/4 you saw was telling you that the most you had killed in one slow-mo use was 2. I have the same thing for the Kill 4 People With 1 Grenade.

thanks for that. i swore i killed 4 at once but in the heat of battle they were probably wounded and ran off.

as for how scary it is. well i've never really jumped yet and im on mission 4. there were some creepy moments, but i imagine as they game gets really hard then i'll feel more vunerable. for me i was more scared in condemned because i felt like i could die at any moment. but with the slo mo and weapon arsenal in fear 2, you feel rather powerful even on hard mode. i certainly feel tension and sometimes dread, but haven't really been shocked yet because some of the shock moments get a slight buildup.

for console gamers fear 2 is light years better than the fear 1 port.

oh something i forgot but seems cool/funny when playing through the game.

the demo is actually a collage of different levels. some areas i've come across in the first 3 levels have out of the demo. i sometimes get puzzled for a second til i realise that the demo was simply cutting pieces of levels together lol.

the demo has about 4/5 different levels meshed together. why the devs did this i have no idea lol.

Hows the story line?

it's pretty good. it's hard to remember how many scenes there were in fear 1, but so far it feels like there are more cutscenes, more scripted moments etc. i'm enjoying it so far. by comparison fear 1 felt a little like doom 3 where there were long stretches where very little story/action sequences took place. in the first 3 missions i've seen quite a few sequences already.