Defending VTOL with Pacifist and Foxiest of the Hounds achievements

Wibbletaru

When defending the VTOL from Belltower soldiers in Hangsha (second time), if you

1.) How do you destroy the bot w/o killing the soldiers? If it does explode from an EMP mine, does it count against Pacifist?

2.) If you get "spotted" during the firefight, does it count against Foxiest of the Hounds achievement?

Did this this morning and just completed it.

I must have been spotted while saving that bird and not killing anyone and I still got all the achievements I was going for.

I did it on the hardest setting as well and it was the most challenging bit of the game.

I don't know about the pacifist achievement because I kept doing it until I got no one killed and got 'good soul'.

How I did it was to jump up onto the red container to the right and take out the three guys on that second level first using cloak and takedowns (one guy was coming up the stairs and I got a double takedown.

Then I ran down the stairs and by this time the two heavies where next to the chopper to the right. Another double TD.... and far from where the bot lands.

I then turned round and took out the guy under the sniper nest on the second floor. Then EMP'd the bot before running up the stairs to the sniper.

Finally just jamp down and took out the single guy across the way and then ran round to the red container and made my way up to the sniper on the third floor..... Done

Now I count only nine there and there is actually 10 altogether but there is my method the two heavies if you're lucky will be in the same spot as mine.

You could of course pick up the bodies from where they fell and launch them away with the right trigger, but that takes precious time. My first success was this way but I lost out on 'good soul'.

Hope this helps.

Just loaded up my save and the other guy is on the way to the heavies which as it happens they decided to go to a different place for the few goes I just had.

Giving little computer people brain's (or just random acts of annoyance) really make things like this hard!

Just did it three times in a row with no deaths and saving the girl.

Augments are-

Full stealth

Full armour

icarus

jump

Full battery

Before starting (getting on chopper) making sure my battery had full 5 'charges'.

After jumping the red container and taking out the second floor guys run down the stairs and one should be on you'r left and a heavy straight in front. Taking these two down should keep them out of harms way.

Next get the guy round to the right beneath the sniper on the second floor. Then hit stealth and run to the other side of the chopper and there should be a heavy around there and then hit the mech with the EMP.

After that the pressure is much easier and you can take the last ones down quite easily.

A couple of minor changes happened, but the rule of thumb is to leave any soldiers that are in the mech's landing zone until they have moved and just concentrate on the outer ones until you spot an opening to take them down. Trial and luck....

Edited by TheHustlerShark

1.) How do you destroy the bot w/o killing the soldiers? If it does explode from an EMP mine, does it count against Pacifist?

Disabling/destroying robots does not count against the achievement and I highly doubt its explosion is powerful enough to kill an enemy; especially the Belltower guards.

2.) If you get "spotted" during the firefight, does it count against Foxiest of the Hounds achievement?

It doesn't. You may as well count that sequence as a boss fight because enemies already know you're present and thus won't sound an alarm.

Gas grenades makes this a cinch.

This causes you to knock out enemies nice and early. So they can fall unconcious before the point where the bot is dropped down.

Then all you need to do is EMP the bot, and stun gun remainder enemies.

The invisibility perk is a bonus as you can use it in the beginning to reach the spot where it does drop the bot for an easy grenade line of sight.

Hello again,

I'm circling back on this post because I did receive the Foxiest of the Hounds and Pacifist Achievements and there are a ton of loose posts out there on this. May as well share my experience.

I was also playing this on Give Me Deux Ex difficulty.

I only used a Stun Gun, close-up takedowns, and a Tranquilizer Rifle (at the end only only because I was rather impatient).

1.) With the Stun Gun equipped, run towards the right and jump on the red container so you can jump to the second level. There is a sniper right in front of you - zap him with a Stun Gun.

2.) Immediately run through where you zapped him, and drop off towards the left (before you run into the two assault rifle guys on the 2nd floor). Turn around and takedown the spec ops guy next to the pillar on the ground floor.

3.) Turn around 180 so you're running "north" (assauming you're facing north behind the helicopter when you started). Quickly turn left and stun gun the heavy as soon as you see him at range.

4.) Run back underneath the scaffolding and go north again this time behind the other heavy which minimizes the chance they will see you and start shooting. Zap him quickly with the Stun Gun. (behind where the bot drops, if you do it quickly he won't be in range of his explosion)

5.) Zap the guy to your left who is hiding near the wall and behind the barricade (close to where the bot drops).

6.) Sprint all the way to the back and turn South, and stun the guy behind the red barrel.

7.) Sprint back behind the bot and throw an EMP mine near him, run just behind him so you trigger it (you should have the EMP protection armor).

8.) As it destroys the EMP, drag the first heavy you zapped towards the left scaffolding so he's outside the blast range. I'm not sure if bot explosions invalidate Pacifist but this will make sure it won't.

9.) Run back up the first scaffolding you were running under to the second floor. Zap both or takedown both guys with assault rifles. By now you're left with only the snipers who do almost no damage over time to the chopper.

10.) Run to the 3rd level of the first scaffolding and zap/TD the sniper.

11.) You can jump down run up the other platform and take out the other sniper the same way but I just switch to my tranquilizer gun and shoot him from the first sniper position.

It took several triers but I managed to eventually run this without any of the guys shooting me, taking any damage, and the bot explosion didn't kill anyone I knocked out.

I got through this area last night. Bare in mind that I haven't finished the game yet, so I can't guarantee that I have Foxiest of Hounds using this method. I can, however guarantee that I didn't end up with any of the guards dead (I checked them all before leaving the area).

To follow this, you will need:

3 full energy bars (might be able to handle less but you'll be eating nutrients).

Cloak at full (7 seconds per bar).

Icarus landing system.

Stun gun with 8+ rounds.

Tranq rifle with 4+ ammo.

EMP grenade

Steps were:

1) Jump down off the landing platform and sprint into the covered walkway to the right. Do NOT jump up onto the container.

2) At the end of the walkway is a hole in the wall. Turn on your cloak and jump through it. Just to your right is a guard firing from beside a pillar. Shoot him with the stun gun.

3) STILL CLOAKED, turn left roughly 60 degress and head toward the main thoroughfair. You'll see two heavies move into view towards the VTOL. Stun the closest heavy with the stun gun.

4) STILL CLOAKED The second heavy should start retreating back toward the elevator. Chase him down and stun him too.

5) STILL CLOAKED Then look to your right and you'll see a guard near the building (where you dropped the first heavy). Circle behind him before your cloak runs out. Once you're behind him, you can let the cloak fall. Even when he takes cover and appears to be looking back toward you, he won't see you. Stun him too.

6) Once he is down, quickly move forward and drag the unconscious first heavy back. The robot is about to land and you want him clear of the blast radius. If you don't reach him before the robot lands, EMP the robot first then drag the heavy clear before it explodes. Remember that you can use RT to throw the heavy rather than drag him. You don't need to move the guard mentioned in #5. He is clear of the blast radius already.

7) Once the heavy is clear and the robot taken care of, run around behind the 2nd building (past the body of the second heavy) and you'll find a guard out front of it. In my playthrough, he was crouching on the ground and looked like he was setting up a backpack(?). Stun gun him.

8) Turn and run up the stairs to the second floor of the building. There will be a sniper up there crouched behind some crates. Stun/takedown him.

9) At this point, there is no one left on your side of the map but still 4 guards left in the other building. A sniper on the 2nd floor and 3 guys on the first floor. Taking cover against a pillar, I switched to the tranquiliser rifle and took out the sniper and two others. The fourth was behind a pillar and I couldn't get LoS.

10) Once there's only one guy left, sprint over to the back stairs of the other building. You'll come up behind him and can either takedown or stun gun him.

As far as I could tell, none of the enemies were ever firing at me. I did take some damage during step 4 because I ran between guard #5 and the VTOL he was shooting at, but I was cloaked at the time and the guard continued to shoot at the VTOL after I passed, so I'm pretty sure it was accidental.

Edited by Colmarr