Advanced Combo Discussion

Aoi84

I'm having a blast learning some advanced combo techniques, and wondering if anybody else wanted to discuss some of their ideas or combo fillers. I'll just put some well known stuff that old DMC/Bayonetta players may know, but others may not.

Weapon Change During Link:

They actually list these in training mode, but it may be something a lot of people miss, and it's really good (link combos being the pause ones like YY pause YYY).

Example: Rebellion->Aquilla= (Reb)YY Pause (Aqu)LT+Y

All the weapon change links can have an intro half with the first weapon and an ender, post link, with another. This is VERY good with Reb->Aqu. It gives two quick hits then pulls in all surrounding enemies. Works on the air links too.

Jump Cancel:

You can cancel the animation or recovery of just about every move with another move. Jump canceling was in the old games, but it's something I don't see many regular players try. In fact, they show jump canceling helm breaker on the loading screen all the time:

Helm Breaker (the move where Dante slams his enemy into the ground with his sword, default is jumping B), this can be canceled before Dante touches the ground, so that he may continue and air combo. It should be canceled as soon as he makes contact with the enemy in mid air.

Example: Double Helm Breaker= Air B, JUMP (cancels falling animation), Air B

Gun Cancel:

Some moves seem to cancel a few frames faster by hitting X (guns). Helm breaker, after its landed, canceled into X recovers fast and juggles the enemy. I also find that Stinger->Million Stabs->Cancel Guns cancels a lot smoother into another ground chain.

Buffer:

You can hold down X to charge your pistols while continuing to attack and combo with the other buttons. May play hell on your fingers, DMC3 gunslingers used to change their buttons to they could keep it held.

Another easy buffer is using the animation recovery to change weapons easier. The scythe has an amazingly long animation with Prop (LT+B). If you use that as your launcher after a ground combo, you have a loong time to hit Dpad Left to change your angel weapon, it won't cancel the prop either.

Example: ...(scythe)LT+B...while it's hitting, Dpad Left...(aquilla)charge LT+B->___ into whatever.

Misc Combo Pieces:

1. Rebellion->Aquilla Link->Jumping RT+B Launch or Fireworks or Whatever

It's really good against normal enemies. With nearly all the enemies on the screen frozen next to you, you're set to continue the combo on everybody. In fact, you can double link it:

2. Rebellion->Aquilla Link->(Eyrx)Jumping RT+B Launch->Air Rebellion->Aquilla Link

That'd bounce everybody up into the air, hit most twice with rebellion, then suck them all back up to you with the air weapon link.

3. Air Rebellion Link YY Pause Y->LT+X up to them->Helm Breaker air B->JUMP CANCEL->Bullet Rain A+X down on them->Cancel with another Helm Break B

Depending on height and timing, you may wanna ditch the first helm breaker and just follow them down with a bullet rain.

4. During landing recovery of Helm Breaker: Jump cancel, (very fast and low to the ground) air RB

This is just pure style, and looks insane. If you can jump cancel the recovery fast enough, and cancel the jump low enough to the ground with an RB dodge, Dante will look like he's canceling the helm into a back flip.

5. Add (aquilla)air LT+B cancel after air RB in last combo->ground Gun juggle->Stinger->Millionstabs

Might seem really fast, but once you get the muscle memory, it's not that bad combining 4 & 5. Basically, you're canceling the recovery of the helm breaker with a quick jump, while low to the ground still you wanna hit RB for the fancy backflip, then cancel the backflip into his aquilla airdash (which will actually pop the enemy back up from their juggle state). The enemy pops up in really funky ways and it's usually best to mash guns until you're reoriented enough to make sure they're still juggled.

6. Adding all that together into the combo I like to aim for:

(reb)YY pause (aqu)LT+Y...

(reb)YYY, hold B launch,

(reb)air YY pause Y,

LT+X grapple,

(reb) air B, jump cancel,

air A+X,

(reb)air B,

land, jump cancel, evade cancel RB low to ground,

(aqu)air LT+B,

land, mash X,

(reb)toward toward Y, mash Y to end.

Sure, you can add in scythes, prop launches, whatever, these are all just pieces I like to put together.

===

Still working on/questions for others:

-Maintaining charge after letting go of X?

On sheer accident I managed to cancel the gun charge, let go of X, but still had my guns charged. They fired off when I hit X again later in a combo. I don't know what I did to make that happen. Every animation I've tried releasing them on (lol @ holding X while charging the shoryuken RT+B), he always fires it. I've tried it during fmv transitions and he fires them. I haven't checked to see if getting hit while charging maintains the charge. Could have been a glitch, I could have held X a split second longer than I should have and thought they were maintained, I don't know, it felt like a maintained charge though.

-Dodge Offset Combos?

They had these in Bayonetta, and I think they're here too. Like with Eryx's YYY, you can do a YY dodge Y and get the ender. Need to double check into it (too tired to right now), but I seem to remember doing it.

-Any combo pieces you recommend?

Lol and there's me mashing Y, B, X, with a few RT & LT just to see what happens! Tbh i really like the game it's the 1st of the series I have played and so far it's great, i am only playing on human so no problems. I found with so many button combos when it gets messy I mash A X B & Y honestly it gets me past an area onto the next.

I will never max this game I rarely do more than 1 playthrough unless the game is amazing, so I will enjoy the story get a few hundred gamerscore and move on. I think it will be the real fans of the series will max this game with all the playthroughs & learning all those combos you have listed, i suspect you would need those for higher difficulties? You made a nice list I will pick a few of the easier ones to try out now thanks!