Blue Dragon - Does It Get Better?

GoddessNic

I bought Blue Dragon today, and I have to say I'm a bit disapointed. I admit I only gave it a short go, but so far I'm unimpressed. I'm in a room with a bunch of robot thingys, and it didn't take long for it to be game over. When do I get my Dragon? Does it get better? Asides from the Pokemon games, this is my first try at turn based combat.

Someone convince me I didn't waste my money...

its very similar to dragon quest games (same artist as well). if you're expecting anything other than a run of the mill, standard turn-based jRPG, you'll be disappointed.

That said, the story is at least somewhat interesting. But in the end its mediocre. On the good side, there are definitely worse RPGs on the 360. *cough Enchanted Arms and Fable 2 and Two Worlds cough cough*

Dragon Quests games are amazing, by the way.

If you can't stand turn based games, this was a waste of your money. I enjoy this type of game, and I do own it. I am just so back loaded for games right now, I can't add a game that takes 75+ hours to 100% to my gamercard.

I have been playing four about 10-12 hours of BD and I just quit. I couldn't quite get into it. Maybe it was the annoying voices or simplistic combat...I don't know. I just really really didn't like it.

EDIT: Sorry if I wasn't much help...I just haven't played far enough to really tell you it gets better. I got it for $19.99 though, so I guess you get what you pay for.

I bought Blue Dragon today, and I have to say I'm a bit disapointed. I admit I only gave it a short go, but so far I'm unimpressed. I'm in a room with a bunch of robot thingys, and it didn't take long for it to be game over. When do I get my Dragon? Does it get better? Asides from the Pokemon games, this is my first try at turn based combat.

Someone convince me I didn't waste my money...

Um, you're not supposed to kill the robots, you run away and eat the light sphere, which gives you your dragon, minotaur and phoenix shadows.

Um, you're not supposed to kill the robots, you run away and eat the light sphere, which gives you your dragon, minotaur and phoenix shadows.

Well that would explain why I couldn't kill them all. Give me a break, I'm new to this. :p

I'll give it another shot then. It's not the turn based part I'm not liking, it's the story, and it's all very basic.

It`s a shame there aren`t more JRPG`s like blue dragon for xbox360, that was an amazing game, my favorite genre of game... I think i clocked in about 140hours on that. & lol at u thinking u wasted ur money... last time i looked that game was $5.

Yeah it was £7. But that's 1/3 the price of the new Naruto game. :p

I'm tight, I know. ;)

It's both, and good news people!

...although in an interview on IGN with Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of the original Blue Dragon, he did confirm that a sequel was in the planning stages[2] and will start development presumably soon. Also, in another interview on the Computer and Video Games website, he said that he would like Blue Dragon to expand and grow as a series...

I got mine £8 and then saw it for £5 in the same GAME shop the next day, I didn't mind though, because I enjoyed, oh, and don't worry about being new, I killed all the robots too, and then noticed the open door on the other side.

It was the other way around for me. I saw it at £5, but went back the next day and they'd sold the preowned copy.

I'm definitely giving it another shot. If it turns out to not be my kind of game, my little lads probably going to love it, and we're planning on getting him his own xbox arcade for his birthday, so I'll just give it to him. :)

The story is pretty standard (but then again, pretty much all RPGs have the standard 'save the world' plot, so there's no real surprise there d:), and the dialouge is pretty terrible at times.

The battle system does get more interesting as you proceed though.

In the end, RPGs are really more about letting yourself get sucked into the fantasy world you've been presented though, and while not the greatest experience ever, I did enjoy pretty much every moment of the game after getting into it.

• 2 weeks later...
its very similar to dragon quest games (same artist as well). if you're expecting anything other than a run of the mill, standard turn-based jRPG, you'll be disappointed.

That said, the story is at least somewhat interesting. But in the end its mediocre. On the good side, there are definitely worse RPGs on the 360. *cough Enchanted Arms and Fable 2 and Two Worlds cough cough*

I can agree that Fable wasnt to great and two worlds seems shit but I thought Enchanted arms was actually a pretty good game :(

• 11 months later...

the game its self is really CHILDISH

but for game play if you like seeing your enemies in the field rather then

Randomized battling System you might like it

--

i still need to mop up on it and iam having a tough time keeping intersted.

iam just trying to get to my level cap,secert bosses, Max out my Shadow

for a better tag score but its time comsuming and very very easy for the most part.

---

the think i cant say am to fond of is the kicking of EVERYTHING.

(this take way more time then anything by far)

to top that off you have to search for every *Nothing* and there are a lot to obtain all items in the game

----

am not saying its a stupid game by any means just one of those you play one time thru or you play it when you are completly bored out of your mind.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a more comic drawn game, but over all it is a good JRPG. It is now priced at $9.99 at Gamestop and you can get it cheaper than that on ebay (maybe not after shipping though). It is worth the time, but I enjoy games like this. I am not enjoying the minigame achievements though. Just play through to the end and you decided if it gets better. I think you will agree with most of us that it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I love JRPGs and I’ve been playing them since the PS1 (witch is not a long time, but I’m not new to the genre either). However, this is my first Xbox 360 JRPG and I have to say that I’m REALLY disappointed.

The battle system is okay -- not anything like Grandia III or Paper Mario, but a solid turn-based system.

What’s really bothering me is the story (or the lack of one). I think I’m about 4-5 hours in and I still don’t get the characters or the plot.

Is it really THAT generic or am I just too early in the game to understand anything?

• 3 weeks later...

Once you get your shadows and start leveling up and getting some cooler spells and what not the game becomes a bit better. I only played it about 3/4 of the way through. My problem with the whole game is there isnt that many enemy models. Just a lot of the same models with different colors/abilities...kinda lame and unoriginal but overall it was okay. Plus I loved the art style to it

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Most of it isn't a big grind. If you arent wanting to 1000G this then it isnt too bad. I quite enjoyed the game up until the end and got 750G from it. The last 250G is 5x50G for maxing classes (which is, admittedly, a HUMUNGOUS grind. I'm not willing to do this!)

Strangely enough this is actually the type of game where it is possible (although highly unlikely) to complete it without getting a single achievement.

• 2 months later...
Most of it isn't a big grind. If you arent wanting to 1000G this then it isnt too bad. I quite enjoyed the game up until the end and got 750G from it. The last 250G is 5x50G for maxing classes (which is, admittedly, a HUMUNGOUS grind. I'm not willing to do this!)

I might start Final Fantasy XIII-2 first since it isn't as bad :/ I dislike grinding. Thanks for your input! :)