Easy way to Defend Hill 400 on Veteran

Carmona

I apologize if this has been posted before, but I figured this way out on my own.

Hill 400 starts out by you and your squad mates moving up the hill and taking out bunkers. While there isn't a easy way to do this make sure you used the scoped German rifle (after the first bunker you breach there is a second door you can blow open. In it is ammo and a scoped rifle). This makes it easy to go prone and snipe.

Now the part I did very easily is defending the hill. When the mission first starts out you have to snipe the mortar teams as they come up the hill. There is no easy way to this this as well. Whats nice is that you can take your time (unlike silo, where you have to quickly take out the mortar teams before they blow you out of the tower) Do the best you can and stick around the perimeter. Make sure you run to the fox holes and let your squad clear the area before you move on.

The part I got through easy was holding out for reinforcements. After you snipe the mortar teams, you'll have to take cover from artillery fire. Make sure you run for cover n the middle of the hill in the bunker. When the artillery fire is done head out the bunker and make a left, hugging the bunker wall. You'll see some sand bags and a M240 mounted. Follow the bunker wall and make another left. Now you'll see another sandbag with a mortar behind it. Run behind it and go prone (your feet to the sand bags and facing the bunker wall). Your squad mates will hold up on your left and you need to watch your right. You might encounter 4 or 5 guys while the whole barrage is going on. Just sit tight till you have to run from artillery fire. Just do the same thing, hold out in the bunker and run back to the same sand bags. During the second wave I dint see a single German. There was a tank blasting me but the sand bags kept me from getting hurt. You might see one or two guys, but just hold out till the timer runs out, then BAM achievement.

Good luck and message me or post with any questions!

Edited by Carmona

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Infinitism

You may want to back up a save before starting this section. I ended up making it work though.

At first I was laying to the left of the mortar, and for some reason the countdown timer wouldn't trigger. Moved to the right side of the mortar, instantly had to shoot 4 or 5 guys, then got the countdown.

Once the timer started, it was just like the OP stated...until...about 1:35 left when I noticed that all of a sudden I only had a teammate on the mini-map. Thought about doing a save and exit, but before I could even hit start, had a checkpoint pop up at 1:30 then had 2 grenades and 4 enemies on me.

Took me about 10 tries, but somehow I managed to pop a couple smokes, jump up and shoot a few guys, and escaped. With only one NPC to help, all I really did for the last 80 seconds was run around and hide. Used my last 2 smokes, threw all my frags, and hoped for the best. Still almost got cornered, but managed to make it to a half-track and blew it up, taking out a bunch of enemies with it. Lucked out again when the air support showed up with 7 seconds left while I had 4 enemies bearing down on me.

Lesson learned? Be very very careful when trying this. Or maybe I just had a glitch with my NPCs disappearing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, the method worked for me... kind of. It was easy up until about 1:20 left remaining.. than my allies dwindled to just 2. The left side was no longer covered, and all the enemies up until the :10 mark came from the left. After I figured out the "pattern" it was easy.

So, anyone else who is trying this and notice around the 1:00 minute mark you are getting killed from the left side... there will be about 8-10 guys that spawn in from the left, take them out and then theres 2 that spawn from the right at about the :12 mark.

• 3 weeks later...

starting the hill 400 missions tom. finally made it to them. im planning on using this tip. how hard is it leading up to using the tip? are the first two missions hard? what am in for? this game has not been easy for me to get this far and im so paranoid im gonna get to a point where i get stuck. some advice of reassuring words would be great. ha. thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL thanks Carmona, it totally worked for me, did the timer bit on my 3rd go and one of those restarts was because a team mate ran in front of me when I was shooting, didn't even get a single grenade near me, just a few guys to kill.

Going up the hill wasn't too hard, except for the last bunker and sniping those mortar teams.

I should hopefully get my 1000 points tomorrow.

Edit: Got it, totally earned that 1000, really hard game, I suck at these shooters :D

Edited by Razzb3rrys

I found another way that worked for me go to the left of the bunker (while you are facing it. You will see two boxes against the wall. An ally soldier was behind one of these boxes and all I did was hide behind him rofl. I had my back to the wall and him infront. On the other box was another soldier. I had like 6 guys surrounding me, I was sorted lol. Didn't even have to do anything lol.

• 2 months later...
I found another way that worked for me go to the left of the bunker (while you are facing it. You will see two boxes against the wall. An ally soldier was behind one of these boxes and all I did was hide behind him rofl. I had my back to the wall and him infront. On the other box was another soldier. I had like 6 guys surrounding me, I was sorted lol. Didn't even have to do anything lol.

where was this at?

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Just got the 1K and would not have gotten it today without the superb tip from Spanish Assault.

It got tricky at the checkpoint for the 1 minute 30 mark. Most of my squad was killed and the enemy was mud stomping me from the left, which my team previously covered.

For future gamers of CoD2 who also fall into this trap, here's what I did.

1: Do not use grenades, its the only time you will get hit by a grenade as the enemy will throw them back.

2: Know how to use smoke. Don't use it on the corners you know the enemies come from, this causing them to blind rage through the smoke and melee you to death. Instead what you want to do is throw it about 2 inches from the corners of the bunker building. This way it causes the Nazi's to charge blind raged straight into a f**king tree! HA!

3: Have two machine guns for when your prone. No need to worry about the tanks of half-tracks. When the timer runs out the bombing run will destroy them. Just pick enemies off with quick fire bursts.

Once thats done you have one mission left and its no where near as difficult as some of the earlier missions.

My most proud 100% completion ever! Many thanks Spanish Assault. Top game!

I actually want to do it all over again :D

• 1 month later...
Just got the 1K and would not have gotten it today without the superb tip from Spanish Assault.

It got tricky at the checkpoint for the 1 minute 30 mark. Most of my squad was killed and the enemy was mud stomping me from the left, which my team previously covered.

For future gamers of CoD2 who also fall into this trap, here's what I did.

1: Do not use grenades, its the only time you will get hit by a grenade as the enemy will throw them back.

2: Know how to use smoke. Don't use it on the corners you know the enemies come from, this causing them to blind rage through the smoke and melee you to death. Instead what you want to do is throw it about 2 inches from the corners of the bunker building. This way it causes the Nazi's to charge blind raged straight into a f**king tree! HA!

3: Have two machine guns for when your prone. No need to worry about the tanks of half-tracks. When the timer runs out the bombing run will destroy them. Just pick enemies off with quick fire bursts.

Once thats done you have one mission left and its no where near as difficult as some of the earlier missions.

My most proud 100% completion ever! Many thanks Spanish Assault. Top game!

I actually want to do it all over again :D

Glad I was able to help. It's one of my more difficult completions as well!

• 4 years later...

This sounds like an excellent strategy. I wish I found this thread earlier.

What worked for me was just holding out in one of the little "holes" in the trench that goes around the bunker. To be more specific: The "hole" exactly behind the bunker. I stayed there all the time, even when the artillery moments happened, since it gives you cover.