ME2 Insanity Run

Mister Bear 007

Starting a ME2 Insanity run tonight. Importing a new high-level ME1 sentinel for a second playthrough in ME2 so will get import bonuses AND "2nd" playthrough bonuses. Watch this space and I'll post (hopefully) regular updates on my progress!

***UPDATE - 15/02/2011 - SPOILER ALERT***

Now have Jack and have survived Harvest. Collectors are one thing, but when you get a possessed one it is MAD. Thank goodness for Geth Shield Boost! Even at 10% health you can activate it and have enough time to leg it out of trouble to cover before you are torn apart. Also the big things that look like the Flood from Halo are bullet sponges! Found the boss fight at the end of Harvest quite easy though.

More planet grinding. Getting dizzy and seeing jagged wavy lines when I close my eyes. Worth it for the upgrades though.

Recruited the Justicar, now on to recruiting the Assassin. Will get Tali next then start on the loyalty missions. Usually leave Jack and Zaeed till last as it means I have a high enough Paragon to persuade them out of losing their loyalty.

*** Update - 16/02/2011 ***

Got Thane last night. I hate Vanguards grrrr. Died about 5 times in the area with the second group of employees but the bridge was a breeze.

More planet grinding now as lots to upgrade. Not even going near the loyalty missions until I have Tali which I am not looking forward too due to the whole staying out of the sunlight thing. Always nice to relive ME1 by taking out Geth though. Of all the levels this is the one I have dreaded the most on Insanity.

*** Update - 17/02/2011 ***

Got Tali! I've played through this level 8 times now and never realised that it is only my shields that get drained, not my health. Geth shield was vital to my success! Snuck around the side of the big Geth and got hammering with my missile launcher. Comedy moment as I managed to shoot myself in the foot!

More planet grinding - I survey down to Depleted level and do the whole nebula where the level I am doing is in.

Collector ship next. I have been dreading this...!

*** Update - 18/02/2011 ***

Taking a break from my insanity run to do an Adept runthrough on a lesser difficulty as I have a couple of achievements to pop. Will be back again soon to hopefully get off that ruddy floating platform on the "inactive" collector ship!

*** Update - 19/02/2011 ***

Been doing loyalty missions. Won Jack and Zaeed over with my high paragon. On Grunt's mission. I hate Varren! Will do Tali after then go for the IFF, get the loyalty of Legion then upgrade as much as I can and level up to 30 before hitting the Omega Relay.

*** Update - 21/02/2011 ***

Every loyalty mission done. LOVE the small Joker mission! Entered Omega relay. Stuck on final boss at the moment.

TIP - Kill the posessed Collectors as they drop heavy weapon ammo! Personally I would use the Cain, save up the ammo then nuke the Reaper, rinse and repeat until he is dead. A LOT harder than it sounds!

*** UPDATE - 22/02/2011 ***

Argh! Getting so close! Managing to get the final boss down to about 25% health but as he trashes my cover I am getting hosed with bullets from the swarms of Collectors. Watch this space!

Edited by Mister Bear 007
Update

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't import a character at all. I beat the game a year ago, and just completely restarted. My ME1 character is on a different Hard Drive. The game recognized that I beat it once so it gave me a rack of extras at the beginning, and also a 25% XP bonus which REALLY helps. Playing as a soldier, and so far Ive only ran into one spot that gave me grief. Also yeah importing a level 30 from the get go is gonna be HARD because the enemies just scale to your level.

Welcome to the site, and looking at your gamer card welcome to the wonderful world of 360. Im playing my insane run now as well, just got to disc 2. It not to bad, in fact its easier then I expected.

Thanks for the welcome! Glad it isn't as hard as it seems. I'm most worried about Horizon and the Collector ship. Plus the section near the end where your movement is restricted is going to be interesting!

Thanks for the welcome! Glad it isn't as hard as it seems. I'm most worried about Horizon and the Collector ship. Plus the section near the end where your movement is restricted is going to be interesting!

Yeah, the Horizon really wasn't bad at all, I only died I think 2 times if that, and that was when we first walked in to fight the two BIG guys. The Harbingers are easy if you use the collector particle beam, I got there with full heavy weapon ammo, so just try that and you should be good to go. Have yet to get to the Collector ship, Ive been side questing and gaining loyalty. I can tell you that rite of passage for Grunt was my hardest encounter so far, and the side mission with the injured quarian, when you have to protect him/her from the warrens, that one took me quite a few tries to get them before I managed that one.

Are you using a me 1 import character or a level 30 me2 import character. I've been using my character from me2 and its a serious bitch! Been thinking about restarting the game and using my guy from me1.this question is for tha mantis

it is terrible if you use a level 30 me2 character because all the enemies are level 30 as well except now you don't have any upgrades. start with a level 60 me1 character and try being an infiltrator... i've been blazing my insanity playthough this time with an infiltrator and i got stuck on horizon before as a soldier, also geth sheild boost may be the best power ever as it will get you out of most tight situations assuming you can run away.

as previous poster stated me1 import far better, but i would recommend soldier as the adrenaline rush is fantastic for hectic moments and can be spammed every 3 seconds!

I struggled only on horizon and then briefly on the collector ship again when another pratorian appeared, otherwise wasnt as bad as i expected, i did start one from a 30 me2 character and couldnt get past the opening level lol... i was a crappy vanguard tho

Ok, got the rude awakening, got to Freedom's progress and got spanked by the big mech a few times. Realised how little I used cover in the past! Am on to recruiting missions now. Got Spectre status again, just for kicks. First up will be recruiting Garrus for his sniper skills which will help greatly.

Forgot to mention that I went for a soldier in the end instead of a sentinel. Wanted a wider range of weaponry and the Adrenaline Rush ability is vital!

I started an insanity run initially with a Vanguard after playing on casual with a solider. Wow what a shock, lol. I re-rolled Infiltrator and although it took awhile to get used to the difficulty (died so many times just trying to recruit Garrus) I'm past Horizon without any huge stumbling blocks.

I started an insanity run initially with a Vanguard after playing on casual with a solider. Wow what a shock, lol. I re-rolled Infiltrator and although it took awhile to get used to the difficulty (died so many times just trying to recruit Garrus) I'm past Horizon without any huge stumbling blocks.

Nicely done! I'm slowly getting used to my shield disappearing in a second. I went from Normal to Veteran and have only done Hardcore to pop the achievement on the Lair of the Shadowbroker. Even the jump from Veteran is a shock.

Game complete, everyone lived. The hardest part was probably the the first collector ship. By the end I was so powered up (I got EVERYTHING) that it was kind of a cake walk. Beat the final boss first attempt. Let me know if you need any advice or anything.

congrats man! I'm about to start over my run on insanity and try it with an infiltrater. Definitly with a me1 character! Thanks guys for the suggestions on character use.

Game complete, everyone lived. The hardest part was probably the the first collector ship. By the end I was so powered up (I got EVERYTHING) that it was kind of a cake walk. Beat the final boss first attempt. Let me know if you need any advice or anything.

Thanks for the support and advice and well done on getting through your Insanity run.

I just got Garrus. The hardest part was closing the shutter in the Garage. Although I'm a Paragon I chose to take out the maintenance guy so the fighter wouldn't be at 100%. Realising that you have to keep moving and not stay in one place too long, especially when there are varren around!

Been downgraded to XBL silver as cutting costs, although grateful to Microsoft for the one-month free trial.

Got Grunt now. A bit more planet grinding in this system then on to find Jack.

***ADDITIONAL - Please note that from this point on there may be plot spoilers in my posts so if you haven't played the game yet be warned! Thanks!***

Edited by Mister Bear 007

There must be some kind of subliminal suggestion that BioWare implanted for us to come back after New Years and get this achievement. I too just restarted back up on this one after being stuck on the collector ship a few months ago.

I just got passed it last night. I went the hard way and imported a level 30 ME2 Character though, but I think I am now passed the hardest part. Now I can concentrate on getting all of my upgrades.

As far as bonus powers go... I've gone the whole time with the Inferno Grenade. As long as stuff isn't charging at you into melee range, you can basically have a war of attrition against the enemies since you never run out of ammo for it. It also does a decent amount of damage and if you arc it just right, in addition to the spash radius, you can usually get it to go anywhere you want.

Good luck tonight!

Do you mean I should edit my first post with updates instead of separate entries?

Probably, ya should avoid the triple posts though :p

Thanks for the good luck, I got it first time after trying today. Now all thats left is the dlc for a complete game on my list. Kasumi is far too steep though at 560msp for 1 achievement so I don't think I will.

Anyway, good luck with your insanity run, I hope you get it! :)

There must be some kind of subliminal suggestion that BioWare implanted for us to come back after New Years and get this achievement. I too just restarted back up on this one after being stuck on the collector ship a few months ago.

I just got passed it last night. I went the hard way and imported a level 30 ME2 Character though, but I think I am now passed the hardest part. Now I can concentrate on getting all of my upgrades.

As far as bonus powers go... I've gone the whole time with the Inferno Grenade. As long as stuff isn't charging at you into melee range, you can basically have a war of attrition against the enemies since you never run out of ammo for it. It also does a decent amount of damage and if you arc it just right, in addition to the spash radius, you can usually get it to go anywhere you want.

Thanks for the tip about the Inferno Grenade. I started with Warp Ammo but changed it to Geth shield before Harvest. Being able to instantly overcharge shields has been a lifesaver!

Personally, having just finished a freeze-fest of a final mission (I had to beat the final boss four times before the game would actually survive the ending cutscenes), I have to recommend Kasumi's ability on the Collector ship at least. It basically allows you to stay in cover even with Harbinger on your backside - it stops him from using his fire and cover-buster biotics. The first battle area on the Collector ship was by far the roughest set piece for my renegade femshep 60 import (adept converted to sentinel) after beating the game once on Veteran with my paragon maleshep 51 import (engineer converted to soldier).

I would wish you good luck, but if you've survived Collector ship, then there's only one mission that swarms you, and at least those enemies don't have guns so you can kite them.

ha ha my first insanity play through attempt was vanguard and couldnt get past the first level where you bump in to tali lol, the very first encounter to boot lol.

So when i re hit it as soldier it was so much easier and when you have like a fully mastered adrenaline rush its only a 2 second cooldown... spam it to hearts content and you are a beast then lol.

Just make sure you upgrade fully etc do all loyalty missions to get upgrades etc and extra powers.

The last chapter was a cake walk and the end boss is less difficult than fighting the previous stage bosses ie praetorians.