Am I funny?

So I've been thinking a lot lately about trying to break into stand-up comedy. A couple of nights back, I hit the stage at a pub in town for an open mic spot. It was my second time doing this in front of anyone and I'm pretty much just improvising off the top of my head. There were like ten or eleven grumpy looking fuckers in the crowd and I was pretty damn nervous. I've edited together a couple of parts of the set here for you.

What I'm after from you guys isn't neccessarily praise or compliments believe it or not but constructive criticism. Do you think I've got any potential as a comedian? If yes, which bits of my performance do you think stand out as needing work? Do you think I could benefit from having an actual routine or is improvisation the way forward?

Thanks a bunch! ^_^

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_1bU-6BzJQ]YouTube - ‪Robert Chapel: Open Mic @ The Fleece, May 2011‬‏[/ame]

I think you're good, but like Jiga said, you also need some experience on delivery. I suspect that you probably would've been a little better in that aspect if you weren't nervous, though.

As for improv or a routine, I'd suggest a mix. Some improv comedians just have acts that end up terribly, but on the other hand if you stick completely to a routine, it'll just get bland, and nobody will want to see you more than twice. A good mix can keep you away from either of those. Also, be sure to remember some of your best bits and fall back on them if the crowd gets stale or if you think you're flopping, just as a failsafe.

I'm not going to lie, I really couldn't understand a thing. :(

Neither could I and I'm British lol. I think it was the video not giving you justice. You could film yourself doing it solo, that may not be your thing though. Still even if you did suck even the best sometimes get booed off. Even Frankie Boyle did, I read it in his book.

...but you where lacking a delivery. That will probably come with experience though so just keep doing open mics.

I think you're good, but like Jiga said, you also need some experience on delivery. I suspect that you probably would've been a little better in that aspect if you weren't nervous, though.

Thanks guys. Watching the video back, delivery's really the big thing that struck me as something that needed work. I'm gonna try and steer away from some of the more obvious common material next time too; I've got a much more bizarre, leftfield sense of humour than I think I showed in the video. I was just kinda nervous and I thought a bunch of crap about my ex was what a pub crowd would probably wanna hear as opposed to material about, say, Jigsaw from the Saw movies running out of people to punish seventeen sequels down the line & having to scale his traps down to accomodate people for minor driving & littering offences.

I'm not going to lie, I really couldn't understand a thing. :(

Neither could I and I'm British lol. I think it was the video not giving you justice. You could film yourself doing it solo, that may not be your thing though. Still even if you did suck even the best sometimes get booed off. Even Frankie Boyle did, I read it in his book.

Yeah, I'm not sure the combination of video quality, the house PA system and a thick London accent were the greatest combination really.

You look like Christian Bale a bit. In the Machinist ha. Fair play, man, that's ace gettin up doin that. It's always been something I'd like to try once, I wouldn't mind bein booed off cos maybe someone will take pity and let me feel their tits. Keep at it. Not bad at all. If Michael McIntyre can do so well...

Yeah maybe I am not sure I did not even bother to look sorry get better at advertising kid lol!

What a useless post.

OT: I had a heard time hearing it too. I agree with filming it solo as that would do better justice then the video shown :D

Edited by Mr Bungle

For an improvised set, I think that was great - if you hadn't said otherwise, I would have assumed it was a fairly well tested and rehearsed routine. I used to regularly go to a small comedy club that gave unestablished comedians a chance, and have seen many comedians that are now regulars on TV perform when they were trying to make a name for themselves, and I found them a lot less funny than you.

I actually thought the delivery was alright, you recovered well from jokes that didn't get much of a laugh and didn't seem phased. One thing I would say from my opinions, is tone down the swearing. Personally, I don't mind some, but too much will detract from your set and in my experience, audiences respond in the same way.

But you've got loads of potential, so keep it up. Comedy's a hard business to make a name in, so take any gig/free mic night you can, don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself, and experiment with different sets/comedy styles etc. With practice you'll start to find jokes that go down well, and get a feel for what audiences respond to. Experience really is key :)

Edited by SatansBunny99

That wasn't half bad dawg, material was decent, delivery lacked a bit of punch but for what it was I enjoyed it. Also, if I'd had a drink in me I'd probably have found it even funnier lol.

Props for getting up and doing it, a lot are scared of being heckled/booed etc. Good job.

That wasn't half bad dawg, material was decent, delivery lacked a bit of punch but for what it was I enjoyed it. Also, if I'd had a drink in me I'd probably have found it even funnier lol.

Props for getting up and doing it, a lot are scared of being heckled/booed etc. Good job.

^^This, it takes balls of steel to even attempt stand up, the delivery needs a bit of work (seemed a little nervy to me:confused:). Overall good job though:)