Beware of Multiplayer! Some gamers have figured out how to hack the game...

BrinkX

Beware of players online in Dead Island's multiplayer!!!

Obviously some people have figured out how to mod/hack this game. BEWARE when you play this game. I highly suggest that you do not leave your 3 co-op slots open to the Public as this issue has now happened to me, my co-op buddy and my brother (and my brother had just started playing the game so he thought it was just part of the game and almost quit playing it forever). I HIGHLY suggest that when you first start playing the game you set your 3 co-op slots to Private so that you don't end up getting hijacked by these a-holes.

Here is what happened and like I said it happened to all three of us at one point or another (and at different locations as well). Luckily enough I figured out quickly what was happening and was able to educate both of them.

I was doing the missions in the southwestern part of the Resort map, at the gas station. I had pretty much cleared out all the enemies in this location and was just looting and exploring the area. All of the sudden more and more enemies started showing up. Eventually there were about 10 Thugs, 20 Infected and a number of Walkers. For the first 20 seconds I was thinking, "Man, this is a tough mission! I can't imagine what Acts II, III and IV are going to be like". Then I saw two Logan characters a little bit off in the distance. So I decided to hop in my truck and leave the area to get away from the mass amount of enemies. My truck wouldn't steer right, I couldn't control it at all and I ended up getting "driven" full speed right into a wall. So I asked my buddy if he remembered to keep his co-op slots private and told him that we needed to drop out. Sure enough, after we dropped out, he checked his settings and somehow they got switched to public. So two jerkoffs had joined our game and start screwing around with us.

When this happened to my brother he had no idea what was going on and he also thought this was part of the game, but since he was just starting to play he wasn't thinking about the co-op possibility. I had been getting text messages from him earlier saying how great he thought the game was and all these messages about how cool this was or that was. Then his text messages changed drastically! "This game went from fun to a nightmare in no time. I am about to throw the game disc out the window and never touch this nightmare again!". So I quickly called him and asked if he noticed any other players in his game and asked him if he had changed his co-op slots to Private (I had told him before he started playing the game, but he never listens to me). Sure enough same thing had happened to him. Man I hate people some times.

Needless to say, BE VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU PLAY WITH IN MULTIPLAYER, because there are just too many immature gamers out there who seem to need to be a pain for no reason. I have played with a number of good, legitimate players, but just be aware of the possibility of people glitching your game. So if extremely strange things start happening, you will know it is not the game, just some gamers with nothing better to do with their time.

Edited by BrinkX

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on...

Enemies respawn even if you are in the area, and if other people join the game

the game just spawns more enemies so every player gets some kills/xp/money.

At the 2nd gas station there is an infinite spawn with an burning infected every 5 sec.

You can't drive a car and bitch about it disguised as a "OMG Hackeralert" post.

Oh come on...

Enemies respawn even if you are in the area, and if other people join the game

the game just spawns more enemies so every player gets some kills/xp/money.

At the 2nd gas station there is an infinite spawn with an burning infected every 5 sec.

You can't drive a car and bitch about it disguised as a "OMG Hackeralert" post.

Thanks troll.

This was VERY REAL. And it did not just happen in this one area, I was just using the gas station as an example of where it had happened to US (multiple people, at different times, in different spots... very real).

I have been playing the game for weeks and I know about sections that have infinite spawns (in fact the one with burning infected you refer to is what I used to get my "One is all you need" achievement... but you have to be close to the tunnel for this to happen, not all the way over by the gas station).

I have played through the first section of the game with all 4 characters so I know how the section at the gas station plays out.

I have played MANY multiplayer sessions with REAL PLAYERS and those sessions were a joy (I have my "People Person" achievement as proof of that). But there are definitely a-holes out there that are causing problems and I appreciate your worthless comments (detect sarcasm). What happened to me, my friend and my brother (at different times by the way) was not the way the game works... 10 Thugs all at one time NEVER happens... EVER in this game.

My brother almost quit playing this game because of this bullshit, so I figured I would warn others that if it did happen to them to just drop out of their game, switch from public slots to private slots and restart. The game is a blast and I didn't want this ridiculousness to deter them from playing the game... because it is VERY REAL.

EDIT: (Removed "uncalled for" paragraph)

Edited by BrinkX

And honestly, attacking and accusing other posters is uncalled for.

Yeah, but calling me a liar/cry baby/chicken little/whatever in his post was uncalled for... THIS WAS VERY REAL, happened to multiple people, and honestly was very frustrating when it happened. I was trying to HELP the community with the warning, BECAUSE IT DOES HAPPEN. If it had never happened to him, great, but why call me a liar?

When it first happened to me, I let it go. Then it happened to my friend and I together, so I have a witness. Again I let it go. When it happened to my brother and it almost caused him to quit the game entirely, I figured it was time to be a little proactive. I thought I was being helpful and I did not find the post after my first post helpful at all... in fact I took it as quite an offense. I don't cheat, I don't mess with people and I definitely don't seek out conflict... video games are my stress release and when those guys glitched my game IT WAS VERY STRESSFUL needless to say. Again, just trying to be HELPFUL.

I removed the paragraph you found offensive, ok.

This is why I don't and won't play MP games. It's just not wiorth the crap to have to put with hackers or modders, whatever you want to call them. Co-op with friends is as close to online as I get.

I agree with you... when I can do something with just friends that is the way I do it. But this game required you to play with 10 DIFFERENT people for 15 MINUTES each to get the "People Person" achievement, so I really had no choice but to play in MP. Most of my friends didn't want to spend money on this game with so many other new releases out there, but I just happen to love zombie games.

Man am I finding the Dead Island forum a tough crowd. So much for trying to be helpful.

Edited by BrinkX

Oh i'm sorry did i break your heart?

and of course if i don't agree with you like grandpa here i'm a troll, of course...

I got all cheevs and played over 100h Dead Island and i never met any one

who can be described as hacker/cheater.

sure i met different people from different countries, and the obvious 13 year old amercian kiddies which are annoying as hell but there is an thing u can do:

drop out of the game, press start and drop out, and you're on your own again.

Who said that it was cheating or such things?

This game is buggy als hell, and i encountered some in my 100+h,

and even after the patches i saw some things which clearly are bugs.

Next time you play dead island, message me, i will play with you.

i had a guy join a game & try to give me a bat that said like '29087339450% damage'. since obviously it was hacked, i declined and booted him from the match.

within about 15 seconds, he rejoined & killed me and my partner in the church somehow.

also, i get into a lot of games where people one hit everything, no matter how powerful. i'm level 41, these guys are always level 60 and they just destroy stuff. seems somewhat fishy to me

Oh i'm sorry did i break your heart?

and of course if i don't agree with you like grandpa here i'm a troll, of course...

Huh?! It just doesn't end with you... still trolling. Dude, ChickinOnaChain was actually backing YOU up saying that MY comments and accusations towards YOU were unwarranted (I removed the offending paragraph). Then you had to troll some more and accost him after he backed YOU up. Nice.

I got all cheevs and played over 100h Dead Island and i never met any one who can be described as hacker/cheater.

sure i met different people from different countries, and the obvious 13 year old amercian kiddies which are annoying as hell but there is an thing u can do:

drop out of the game, press start and drop out, and you're on your own again.

Who said that it was cheating or such things?

This game is buggy als hell, and i encountered some in my 100+h,

and even after the patches i saw some things which clearly are bugs.

So you admit there are problems with the game. You admit that you do run into a-holes at times in MP. But just because you never experienced what ALL THREE OF US EXPERIENCED, you are going to claim that it CAN'T happen. Hell, maybe you always had your slots set to PRIVATE and then of course it would never have happened to you. Arrgggh, why am I even playing this trolling game with you.

Next time you play dead island, message me, i will play with you.

Thanks but no thanks. Not a chance in hell. Like I said in my previous posts, I have played with a number of great people in this game. I don't need to play with someone who is trying to stir up trouble... have enough of that in my life. Thanks for the offer though.

(...and to reiterate... I have played with many, many good people. I am not saying there are not good people to play with in MP. I am just saying that if you DO HAPPEN to run into a-holes, just drop out and restart your game using PRIVATE slots for multiplayer. The game is really good about saving your items and XP when you quit out of the game. Just trying to be helpful... which apparently I am not.)

Edited by BrinkX

i had a guy join a game & try to give me a bat that said like '29087339450% damage'. since obviously it was hacked, i declined and booted him from the match.

within about 15 seconds, he rejoined & killed me and my partner in the church somehow.

Finally. Thanks for the affirmation.

PEOPLE I AM NOT MAKING THIS STUFF UP. It CAN happen to you. I am NOT saying DON'T play the game, just be AWARE that it can happen. I personally love this game.

Edited by BrinkX

Finally. Thanks for the affirmation.

PEOPLE I AM NOT MAKING THIS STUFF UP. It CAN happen to you. Just be AWARE that it can happen. I am NOT saying DON'T play the game. I love this game.

yeah, it's one of those games that if you've got good coop partners, it's a blast, but if you dont, it's horrible.

reminds me of hacks on Red Dead Redemption, and that crap would corrupt the saves of everyone in the game like nobody's business

I'll be the first to say, most any game with MP, will have it's share of modders/hackers/cheaters. And for me, it's why I leave the MP to those that can deal with those players. I can't and prefer to SP those games.

thats for sure

Talk about overreacting.

Welcome to wonderful world of online gaming, where no game is safe. Almost everything is hackable/moddable. If this was your first encounter of someone cheating online, then you're in for a shock.

Not only is the game buggy, but people come into the game with extremely BS stats for weapons and health. Who cares? If you aren't happy with it, you can simply back out. Change your settings so random people can't join your game. Change your Xbox LIVE settings to help the filtering.

You are taking a known issue far too seriously. If you want to help others, help 'em by going off at the developers for failing to release the update, not the person(s) who played the game and did not come across any issues.

Talk about overreacting.

Welcome to wonderful world of online gaming, where no game is safe. Almost everything is hackable/moddable. If this was your first encounter of someone cheating online, then you're in for a shock.

Not only is the game buggy, but people come into the game with extremely BS stats for weapons and health. Who cares? If you aren't happy with it, you can simply back out. Change your settings so random people can't join your game. Change your Xbox LIVE settings to help the filtering.

You are taking a known issue far too seriously.

Wow. I really just don't see how these types of comments are helpful, especially since you are just harping on me and then STATING THE SAME THINGS I AM TRYING TO SAY about turning off public access to your game. I am trying to help people and all you guys are doing is harping on me for trying to be helpful. Not everyone is as perfect as you and part of the reason that we as gamers come to the forums... is for help. I was just trying to help, so sorry (again, detect sarcasm).

No offense, but there are definitely multiplayer experiences where I don't run into these types of things. Just because I haven't run into the problems does NOT mean they don't exist. So according to your helpful suggestions, I should go into the forums of said games, find all the posts/threads where people talk about or mention the poor experiences they have found with modders/hackers and start preaching to them about how it is just the way it is and to stop complaining. Very f-ing useful that would be!

I am just trying to share some experiences to possibly HELP new people playing the game. How are your comments helpful?

You are taking a known issue far too seriously. If you want to help others, help 'em by going off at the developers for failing to release the update, not the person(s) who played the game and did not come across any issues.

In my original post I did NOT "go off" on anybody (but the modders/cheaters that caused my headache). The person who played the game and did not experience the same issues WE did experience, decided to "go off" on me. I am just defending my position.

Again I just don't see how either of your comments are helpful (outside of getting your "post count" higher)? Do you really think ANY developers out there EVER listen to ONE player's rants about problems in their game? Never. Thousands of us have been complaining for YEARS about Gears of War corrupt save file problems... has it ever been fixed? No. They don't care unless it is something that is going to MAKE THEM MONEY. So what good is it for me to complain to the developers? I WAS JUST TRYING TO EDUCATE NEW PLAYERS OF DEAD ISLAND ABOUT THIS POSSIBLE ISSUE SO THEY DON'T EXPERIENCE WHAT MY BROTHER WENT THROUGH AND THEN DECIDE TO QUIT THIS ACTUALLY COOL GAME.

reminds me of hacks on Red Dead Redemption, and that crap would corrupt the saves of everyone in the game like nobody's business

Exactly... and this was why I felt a warning to the community would be nice. Guess not.

Getting off my soap box... for now.

Edited by BrinkX

Enough all of you, the next person to argue in this post will have their posts deleted and receive a 3 day ban, play nice people.

I don't have to play nice....who do you think you are a mod?!?!...oh wait.... never mind...forget I said that....wait why wont I just delete what I typed?!?!?....ARRGGGHHH!!

I kid...I kid...honestly no need for all the hostility. People are allowed to disagree whit your opinions. That's the beauty of the internet. I played about 40 hours with zero issue.

I haven't come across any of those people OP mentioned. But a while ago, my neighbors friend obtained a pistol from a random person. That can kill anything & everything in 1 hit. He duplicated the pistol & gave it to my neighbor. Who also had infinite ammo, unbelievable amount of frags & large medkits. My neighbor was running through the streets of Morsbery obliterating zombies everywhere. I thought it was cool at first & wanted it for myself. But after a while, I realized it made the game unchallengeable & very easy. So I declined.

As for the co-op public slot settings. Mine is set on private.

Yeah some guy dropped me an assault rifle that had a clip that was like 999999999/100 or something. So it was infinite ammo and infinite clip. At this point I had beaten the game and reached max level so I went ahead and took it.

There are definitely hackers in this game. However, the hacks the OP describes are so powerful I would be concerned with more than just ruining your game experience. You're talking about someone who literally had the power to control your entire game if he was able to steer a car you were in. Those are some serious hacks.

There are definitely hackers in this game. However, the hacks the OP describes are so powerful I would be concerned with more than just ruining your game experience. You're talking about someone who literally had the power to control your entire game if he was able to steer a car you were in. Those are some serious hacks.

It wasn't that they were steering the pickup for me, it was more like they TOOK AWAY the ability to steer the pickup and also made it so that you were accelerating at full speed constantly... which eventually caused the car to run straight into a wall. I would think that once they figured out how to mod weapons and number of enemies, changing those attributes of the pickup wouldn't be difficult at all.

But like you saw they definitely have the ability to mod weapon stats and once you start modding an aspect like that in the game, I figure the rest is pretty easy to do. Thanks for the further confirmation that this is happening.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive had no problems with the game theres hackers/cheaters on pretty much any game as long as they dont hack accounts I dont care!

I did have an odd encounter lately with dead island went on a multiplayer game kept hearing this loud roar coming from the distance but was very clear meet up with another player who was running around and swinging there weapon round then suddenly died next thing i know i was thrown and died but didnt see anything. went back to see what it was and there was nothing there then i die again so i run off to another area and again get thrown and almost die... etc etc so there was some giant or multiple monster(s) that was 1 hit kills people on it!

Was an odd match & dont know about the other 2 players in that match as they were near the hotel!

Modding Weapons is simple, just requires a USB drive, a computer (with internet, non Wal-Mart brands preferably), an Xbox 360 (Or if you enjoy being a flamboyant nincompoo, a PS3) and Dead island. Then, take ten minutes of your time and download a file that has the modded weapons in it (Or make your own, but that could take a while, I think) , and plug the USB into your Xbox, and so on. Now, to hack into the settings to take away the ability to drive and to spawn enemies, that person has a hardcore setup (for hacking video games anyway), something along the lines of J-tag, or even rerouting some wires into their computer from the console. This is decently rare to see, especially on a small time game like Dead Island, and so I would guess this guy lives in the same area you and your friend/brother did, so that is why you all connected to him. Unless someone figured out a way to hack into the coding for the game from the Xbox, you are going to need allot more than a USB drive to do spawns and such.

Well that was a lot of rambling, but I would like to leave on a lighter note, by stating,

PEOPLE I AM NOT MAKING THIS STUFF UP. It CAN happen to you. I am NOT saying DON'T play the game, just be AWARE that it can happen. I personally love this game.
I feel like I'm reading a campaign against AIDS in this forum.

Well that was a lot of rambling, but I would like to leave on a lighter note, by stating, I feel like I'm reading a campaign against AIDS in this forum.

Beware crossing a street, a car might hit you.

Beware for girls, they can break your heart.

Beware life, it sucks sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to say but unless U joined his game there is no way he affected the game code unless he broke into your house and hacked your Xbox.

Mod weapons are on your coded player so when u join someones game u will take them with u,plus the game like Borderlands and Dead island let u trade weapons so u download the coded weapon onto your Xbox.

When gamers hack,they only affect there own player so u get people flying in Cod and modded weapons and other shit but to effect your game he would have to hack into your Xbox and rewrite the code,can't be done on the Xbox but maybe on PC but like others say why bother on a game like Dead Island that wasn't a great hit.

Its just a glitchy game pal,I've came across lots off shit when playing it.