PS3 Version WWAAAAYYYY better than 360

JustiBoy

So recently found out about the PS3 version of this game released in Japan and I got to say that if the additions aren't available as DLC than I will be pissed. Here are just a few things we'll be missing out on if it doesn't:

- extra dialogue which more than doubles what the current script is now

- new characters (not necessary in my opinion) and the ability to have Flynn and Repede as your on screen character

- more skits, subplots, main game quests, mini-games, etc.

- the ability to set up to 16 artes at once with the use of the L1 button (not necessary in my opinion)

- more references to other games (ex. you get to fight the Sword Dancer)

-and finally: SKIPPABLE CUTSCENES!!!

So what do you guys think?

EDIT: Almost forgot about some other sick new features that are going to be added:

-more mystic artes including combined mystic artes for Yuri and Flynn!

-Over Limit up to level 8!

Edited by JustiBoy

-and finally: SKIPPABLE CUTSCENES!!!

This is the only thing I missed in this game so far... it's the main thing that prevents me from doing another playthrough...

The other stuff doesn't sound "WWAAAAYYYY better" to me, especially this:

- extra dialogue which more than doubles what the current script is now

...since I think this game has more dialogue than is good for it ;)

Tales of Vesperia was the first game of the Tales-series I ever played, so I can only compare it to other JRPGs... maybe I just thought there was way to much talking because you can't skip the cutscenes - it's very annoying if you die during a boss fight and have to go through minutes of dialogue again and again...

I think the script in the 360 version was pretty much all I needed. I don't see what else they could add to "improve" the story without making unnecessary dialogue.

I'm pretty sure the game had enough sidequests as it was, i don't really need more fetch quests.

The additon of more skits does sound cool though. I always found those highly entertaining.

Yeah, the extra artes thing does sound a bit convoluted.

I don't really care about references to other Tales games.

Skippable cutscenes would be nice, but not really a deal-breaker.

I'd have to see what the increased overlimit does, since there really was little difference between level 3 and 4.

I'm pretty sure I got nowhere near all the artes for everyone. I found some basic ones I liked and just stuck with those.

Overall, I was pretty happy with Vesperia. Plus we got it a full year ahead of the Japanese PS3 version, and so far its been 1.5 years and there's still no US release date. So yeah, I'll take it just the way it is :)

Yeah I understand what you're saying, but think about what all these new additions mean. Unless the price is increased by a lot this version is worth twice as much as the 360 one. Plus I like to do close to everything possible when I play an RPG so all this extra content would add who knows how many more hours of gameplay. If they don't release the additions as DLC (if they ever reach North America) then I will most likely buy it for my PS3.

I'm fairly certain the new 'dialogue' simply refers to all of the game's text having voice overs - as half of it on the 360 was text with no voice.

I agree that this game certainly doesn't need any more sidequests. I mean, I pumped 190hrs into the goddamn game. Not sure how they have shoe-horned that pirate girl character into the storyline either, as each character in Vesperia is indispensable, and had a very strong link to the overall plot, unlike many other rpgs (*cough*Final Fantasy 12*cough*).

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, has it been announced already that there will be no US release then?

It has. Well, provided the announcement was not one spurred on by the community and was bound by a NDA. But as it is, they say they have no plans to bring it to the US.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm fairly certain the new 'dialogue' simply refers to all of the game's text having voice overs - as half of it on the 360 was text with no voice.

I agree that this game certainly doesn't need any more sidequests. I mean, I pumped 190hrs into the goddamn game. Not sure how they have shoe-horned that pirate girl character into the storyline either, as each character in Vesperia is indispensable, and had a very strong link to the overall plot, unlike many other rpgs (*cough*Final Fantasy 12*cough*).

How in God's name did it take you 190 hrs? Do you have the 1000? It only took me 129hrs. To get the 1000 and I'm a person that leaves it on and just sitting by accident a lot lol

I guess I just took my time... didn't use any 'tricks' for getting GRADE, or anything. I also did have to complete the 3rd playthrough to unlock my title achievement.

Oh, and did leave the game on for 15 or so hours to get the km travelled achievement, but I guess most people would have.

yeah this really pissed me off i heard that our version of TOV is a beta and that after someone hacked the xbox360 disc they said they had all the extra info on there but it wasn't incorporated and that we aren't going to get any of this stuff because it's to much trouble if they released it as a DLC freaken LAME i feel jipped

How in God's name did it take you 190 hrs? Do you have the 1000? It only took me 129hrs. To get the 1000 and I'm a person that leaves it on and just sitting by accident a lot lol

i needed 192 hours to be exact and you´ll need this amount of time if you play it without guide the first playthrough.

Always looking in a guide, that tells you what you to do while you playing, if you play it with guide at the first time then its better you don´t blame a great game like Tales with this.

OMG! It took me more than 200 hours to get the full 1000 lol. Then again I did not use a guide in my first playthrough and spend a lot of time fooling around...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm up to 200 hours and I've got a lot of the content to go to get the 1000.

Everywhere you see people complaining about all the content the PS3 version got, yet they seem to neglecting the main point. The 360 version is still a dam good game and sony demanding the PS3 version to have more content doesn't change that fact in anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Like others have said a lot of these changes don't really add anything significant to the game; in fact I would argue the addition of yet another party member is a curse rather than a blessing; the characters are fine as they are - I can't see another improving the game massively.

The only really good thing on tat list is the skippable scenes; but without the scenes the game becomes a grind; whether you want to see them or not. So personally I'd prefer to keep them unskippable (the temptation); though I can see why others would disagree.

Someone mentioned the 'pirate girl,' Patty Fleur.

What bothers me about this is that it's like they planned for the PS3 version. In Capua Torim's lighthouse, you can examine a drawer with a child's pirate hat in it. The hat has the word "Pa..." inside with the rest unreadable. Not only that, but the equipable item Pirate Hat looks exactly like Patty's.

Eh, I also heard they added the twins from the First Strike movie as NPCs. Figures.

There is a chance of localization. But I bet it's for Europe... http://scrawlfx.com/2010/06/troy-baker-confirms-tales-of-vesperia-ps3-localization-in-video

Someone mentioned the 'pirate girl,' Patty Fleur.

What bothers me about this is that it's like they planned for the PS3 version. In Capua Torim's lighthouse, you can examine a drawer with a child's pirate hat in it. The hat has the word "Pa..." inside with the rest unreadable. Not only that, but the equipable item Pirate Hat looks exactly like Patty's.

Eh, I also heard they added the twins from the First Strike movie as NPCs. Figures.

There is a chance of localization. But I bet it's for Europe... http://scrawlfx.com/2010/06/troy-baker-confirms-tales-of-vesperia-ps3-localization-in-video

The thing is, they DID plan for the PS3 one to be the superior version. Like it or not, the 360 sells like shit in Japan, and many Tales fans in Japan actually burned their 360 discs when they found out the PS3 one had more to offer. Patty is an exclusive character in the PS3 version because Team Tales (or Namco Bandai, what have you) had always intended to put Patty in there instead of the 360 version so the PS3 one would sell more, given that about 10% of the Japanese population owns a 360 (mostly because of Vesperia launching on 360 first in the first place). PS3 is the more otaku-centric system (despite the majority of dating sims/visual novels being on the 360 due to the infamous "Sony check"), and Tales panders to the otaku crowd, so it was a match pretty much made in heaven.

To close, my friend imported the PS3 version, so we compared them, and yes, the 360 one is bastardized and you should be angry and if you don't mind Japanese text then get the PS3 one over the 360 one by all means. Or, you know, wait for Namco Bandai or NIS America to release it over here, which will most likely never happen at this point.

Edited by RamenPoodle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...