The REAL reason the Xbox One is Kinect Mandatory

DarkReign2021

Most ads are mid show, so changing the channel is only effective for like 2 minutes and serves no purpose. Besides, this still makes them unavoidable.

You could DVR them and fast forward through the commercials.

Listening to a CD means you're not listening to the radio,

What's the difference between the CD and the radio? Oh right, no commercials on CD.

it's like saying if you want to avoid ads on the Xbox's dashboard, go play a different console.

Or you could pick a single player game and play the console offline.

Same goes for watching DVD's and the use of Netflix or any other streaming service.

I wanna watch The Walking Dead but avoid the commercials....so I watch it on Netflix.

So bascially....you're completely wrong and yes, all commercials and ads can be avoided. Thanks for playing, better luck next time. ;)

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could DVR them and fast forward through the commercials.

What's the difference between the CD and the radio? Oh right, no commercials on CD.

Or you could pick a single player game and play the console offline.

I wanna watch The Walking Dead but avoid the commercials....so I watch it on Netflix.

So bascially....you're completely wrong and yes, all commercials and ads can be avoided. Thanks for playing, better luck next time. ;)

Aha, yeah.. Nice try.

If you record a show then fast forward through the ads you still have to sit there fast forwarding through the ads, which exist, and are there, unavoidable.. You're just sitting there for a bit less time to skip through them.

No commercials on the CD, but the point was that RADIO has unavoidable ads. A CD is not radio.

So, basically, to avoid that little, apparently super annoying box on the dashboard you should completely disconnect your console and play a SP game offline? Yeah, great fix.

Again, the original point was that TV has unavoidable ads, watching something from a different source doesn't change that.

http://cdn.meme.li/instances/300x300/39456336.jpg

Nevertheless, I feel as though having numbers to work with always paints a better picture. I was actually sitting there counting tiles on the dashboard as I typed that. That's when it really hit me that I only use maybe 4 buttons on the whole dashboard.

It definitely wasn't sarcasm. I can't stand how fucking cluttered and useless the dashboard has become. You spoke my thoughts to the letter. I don't care if ALL the tiles are gaming related (which they aren't. I'm looking at you UFC ads). I don't need to be spoon fed content. I'm perfectly capable of navigating the marketplace (even though it is more cumbersome than ever before because of micro transactions pushing relevant content off of page 1 often). I don't need "quick access" tiles for content I'm capable of finding on my own, let alone content I don't want.

The thing I find very weird is that Microsoft felt the need to do an interview containing a lot of information about advertising, because I'm sure a lot of people were interested in how that's all going to be integrated in to the new system...

Advertisements don't bother me as such, because they don't get in the way (unlike on a website without AdBlock installed, eh, x360a?). However, I'm quite a neat person and find it slightly irritating having a load of different moving images that don't fit together all plonked on to the dashboard. It doesn't bother me too much, but sometimes I wish they weren't there.

In regards to the Kinect being able to tailor advertisements to you based on your activities, this kind of stuff has been happening for years. We just live in a very paranoid society that has only gotten worse in recent years. The media helps us fuel our paranoia to the point where we all feel vindicated and violated by our governments, major companies, and possibly even our employers. The usage of Kinect is just the same as a company like Coca-Cola using sales percentages to see how well their product is doing in other countries, and tailoring their advertisements around it to maximise performance. It's just the same as you walking around in a t-shirt of a band you love, or a brand you enjoy promoting it to the town you live in even if you don't realise it.

We all advertise in one way or another. It's just a part of our everyday lives, and something impossible to avoid. Does it get annoying? Of course it does, and going back to an older console that has no adverts feels nice, but it doesn't truly mean your experience is any better, as at the end of the day it's the games you came to play on your system that matters. There are adverts in games, but there always has been, they just haven't been made as prominent as they are now.

The gaming industry is as big (if not bigger) than the movie and music industry, and we're faced with the same strategy that is utilised in both of those (make more money off of something that is popular and is making a lot of money). Where better to maximise sales than a place where millions of people are actively involved? When you go to the cinema, you have about 10-20 minutes of adverts before the film starts. Many of you arrange your arrival to coincide with the end of them, but a lot of you will sit through them all, and even find new films you previously held no interest in suddenly appear on your radar.

As long as the adverts don't get in the way of gaming, and don't ruin the experience (the 360's dashboard takes ages to load, but that could be due to a mixtures of adverts and the buttons we actually use) you're having when booting up the system, I don't see why we need to complain so much.

The Kinect is mandatory, but can be turned off. This simple sentence seems to elude so many people that it's practically infuriating. This is a sentence that should instantly destroy many of your conceived notions of privacy invasion, and that's why I can't understand why people are not paying more attention to it. Are you choosing to ignore it because you need to complain, or is your paranoia telling you that because it's still plugged in and using a small amount of power that it's not quite disabled?

There has been more than enough public beatings of the Xbox One that it's become customary to throw rocks at it as it passes in the street. I feel that we're just looking for excuses now to continue these lashings. When will this forum stop being foremost a witch hunt and primarily a celebration of a new console? Though I have my reservations about the console, I'm interested in learning about what I may find enjoyable about the console more than what I may dislike. I'd like to see everything before I write it off again (I have been guilty of passing judgement early in previous weeks).

It's mandatory. But vastly improved over the original. You don't HAVE to use it...but it's a part of the hardware now...the console doesn't function without it.

This is the annoying part of it. You don't have to use it, but it's mandatory, because you can pause the kinect but you can't shut it down or unplug from the x1. It's still being used to run the console, so you're still forced to use it somehow. If I don't have to use a thing, I should be able to remove that thing, which is not going to happen, making the "you don't have to use it" sentence not entirely correct. And apparently, part of the reason the kinect needs to stay on is to "improve the ads experience", which makes the situation even more annoying.

Fat guy with ton of food plays Xbox One game - Xbox One Kinect "scans surroundings of fat guy" while fat guy is playing.

Fat guy finishs playing game then goes to dashboard and first thing he sees is ads for working out, getting slim and cleaning products.

Something that will happen due to what I see on that interview.

I got over the kinect thing, i know i wont use it, the only thing im slightly not getting though is if it isnt being used to watch, spy, whatever you want to call it by Microsoft, how are they able to gain advertising information about whats in the room? Like, if its there to improve your adverts from the products in the environment.

I got over the kinect thing, i know i wont use it, the only thing im slightly not getting though is if it isnt being used to watch, spy, whatever you want to call it by Microsoft, how are they able to gain advertising information about whats in the room? Like, if its there to improve your adverts from the products in the environment.

IF that is true, it doesn't send information specific about you and what you are doing. IF it is true, it might recognize that you always have a massive bottle of Coke in your room and send you ads based on that. IF this is true, it won't see you scratching your balls and suggest GoldBond.

IF that is true, it doesn't send information specific about you and what you are doing. IF it is true, it might recognize that you always have a massive bottle of Coke in your room and send you ads based on that. IF this is true, it won't see you scratching your balls and suggest GoldBond.

Do you work for Microsoft? Just wondering how you can be certain :)

There has been more than enough public beatings of the Xbox One that it's become customary to throw rocks at it as it passes in the street. I feel that we're just looking for excuses now to continue these lashings. When will this forum stop being foremost a witch hunt and primarily a celebration of a new console? Though I have my reservations about the console, I'm interested in learning about what I may find enjoyable about the console more than what I may dislike. I'd like to see everything before I write it off again (I have been guilty of passing judgement early in previous weeks).

Your entire post was great, but especially the last paragraph, and especially that first line of the last paragraph! ;)

I completely agree.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xRFNBWST25E/R6DlQ1ePbzI/AAAAAAAAAjY/ndRRj2kh2w4/s400/tinfoilhat2cy2.jpg

If Microsoft wants to watch me play video games in my underwear, have at it.

If this is what PS4 fans think of Xbox One fans ... I could care less. I will probably leave my Kinect on at all times, be connected to the internet whenever the X1 is on, and only opt out of some of the sharing options. I could care less if Microsoft knows whether my dick hangs left or right, what my wife and I argue about, and what brand of soda I swill constantly while gaming ...

Your entire post was great, but especially the last paragraph, and especially that first line of the last paragraph! ;)

I completely agree.

If this is what PS4 fans think of Xbox One fans ... I could care less. I will probably leave my Kinect on at all times, be connected to the internet whenever the X1 is on, and only opt out of some of the sharing options. I could care less if Microsoft knows whether my dick hangs left or right, what my wife and I argue about, and what brand of soda I swill constantly while gaming ...

This. I won't be disabling my Kinect, I will be embracing the massive improvements and new features. I will always be connected to the internet. I will enjoy the "ads" that are supposedly filling up the entirety of the dashboard as they direct me to new and notable content that I might just find enjoyable (and potentially never to have known about without the "ads").

Guess what? I am going to ENJOY MY NEW XBOX ONE.

This. I won't be disabling my Kinect, I will be embracing the massive improvements and new features. I will always be connected to the internet. I will enjoy the "ads" that are supposedly filling up the entirety of the dashboard as they direct me to new and notable content that I might just find enjoyable (and potentially never to have known about without the "ads").

This is how everyone should be !!!

Did I fucking call it or did I fucking call it.

Bow to my insight and cynicism towards corporations!

Next stop - small discounts on DLC, movies and rentals when binding your license keys to your bio data.

Yeah, no. Help yourselves, but you're creating a shitty future for the rest of us with your not looking to the big picture.

Read this book:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0312429274]No Logo: 10th Anniversary Edition with a New Introduction by the Author: Naomi Klein: 9780312429270: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

And get back to me.

wut is it i cant read

It's the book that did to corporate ad rape what "Super Size Me" did to McDonald's and it's Super Size menu options.

super si-what

I hate you all.

Did I fucking call it or did I fucking call it.

Bow to my insight and cynicism towards corporations!

Next stop - small discounts on DLC, movies and rentals when binding your license keys to your bio data.

Yeah, no. Help yourselves, but you're creating a shitty future for the rest of us with your not looking to the big picture.

Read this book:

No Logo: 10th Anniversary Edition with a New Introduction by the Author: Naomi Klein: 9780312429270: Amazon.com: Books

And get back to me.

It's the book that did to corporate ad rape what "Super Size Me" did to McDonald's and it's Super Size menu options.

I hate you all.

FYI, this hasn't been confirmed. Everyone needs to stop acting like this has been confirmed as fact.

This is the issue. Not everyone wishes for it. If there are those that enjoy customized ad placement derived from information their video game gathered, then excellent. I'm glad that it benefits some.

To not see the other side, however, is being purposely ignorant. Trying to sell the idea to those who wish not to have it so is no more right than those who say you shouldn't embrace the idea.

Monitoring products, facial expressions, or any information that could be sold off in an effort to increase moneys in the pockets of those who already own more than necessary is merely the beginning. Tin foil hattery, yes, I know. I wasn't raised to be complacent, and not ask questions. Respect one another's ideas, and choices, and thus we live together peacefully.

"There is another option, Pender. You don't have to buy it."

Is that a question that comes to mind in some? Didn't a Mr. Mattrick say something similar? ;)