Why is this game region-locked?

Bishop24

I tried to play a Co-op game today with my friend who lives in London, well I could not play with him because online play in this game is region-locked. Which to be honest with you is ridiculous. First Army of Two does this and now Mercenaries. I love EA and their games, but I have some friends in the UK and they can't be making region-locked games. It ruins some of the fun when I want to play with somebody from the UK.

Anybody else upset that this games online play is region-locked?

You're right it is annoying. It's a coincidence that Mercenaries 2 and Army of Two are region locked, both of which are published by EA.

I just think it's a cop out for developers to rush a game through to completion as the net code wouldn't be as intense. Their excuse for Army of Two being region locked, was apparently to reduce lag. Now Crackdown managed this in 2007 in a sandboxed world with coop and that wasn't region locked.

Just seems odd. Maybe I'm jumping the gun and there's probably some logical reason why they chose to region lock, and in this case it's Mercenaries 2.

With these issues aside, I still enjoy Mercs 2 though :)

I doubt it's netcode related. The PS3 and PC versions has no region locking whatsoever. And the game seems to handle high latency just fine. Ironically, Crackdown's multiplayer is more laggy due to noticable input lag when played with high latency.

As silly as it may sound, I think it's due to storage problems on the disc. There's one very odd difference between the NTSC and PAL versions of the game, you never have to load HVTs into a chopper (they're captured the very second they're subdued). I've got a theory they removed that part of the game to shave some megabytes of the disc or something (PAL versions usually take more space due to extra languages). And with a gameplay difference like that they can't get the 2 versions compatible for multiplayer.

Yeah its well annoying, it was bad for AO2 aswell as even though it was Region Locked it was still laggy as hell most of the time, well all the time. I think if EA had of wanted this not to be region locked then they could of done it, its just a case of these multi-million dollar companies getting lazy and forgetting who actually makes them their money. As if the region locking wasnt bad enough just look at the actual game, did they even bother to test the game before release or they forget because from what ive played and read it is the worst glitched game since Tiger Woods 06.