End Game/Awakening Discussion (MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS)

ThePumpkinKing

So, based on the new achievements, it's starting to look like the end of the game is going to be "extended" with the upcoming DLC.

We all know Isaac survived. I'm personally really pulling for Carver. He was just too awesome to have died at the end. But that's still up in the air. Either way, unless they do all new characters (ala DS2's severed - which seems unlikely here) we'll be picking up where the end left off, with Isaac and (hopefully) Carver looking for a way to get off of Tau Volantis, back up the Terra Nova, and the hell out of there.

I can't see this turning out any differently. My biggest question now, is will they close up the story ("brothermoonsareawake") exclusively through DLC. Or will they just draw it out into another game. Guess it all depends on how well the game sells. And how well the co-op is recieved. The later of which has been getting some high praise from critics and fans alike.

Regardless, it'll be cool to get a closer look at the events following the main game.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, based on the new achievements, it's starting to look like the end of the game is going to be "extended" with the upcoming DLC.

We all know Isaac survived. I'm personally really pulling for Carver. He was just too awesome to have died at the end. But that's still up in the air. Either way, unless they do all new characters (ala DS2's severed - which seems unlikely here) we'll be picking up where the end left off, with Isaac and (hopefully) Carver looking for a way to get off of Tau Volantis, back up the Terra Nova, and the hell out of there.

I can't see this turning out any differently. My biggest question now, is will they close up the story ("brothermoonsareawake") exclusively through DLC. Or will they just draw it out into another game. Guess it all depends on how well the game sells. And how well the co-op is recieved. The later of which has been getting some high praise from critics and fans alike.

Regardless, it'll be cool to get a closer look at the events following the main game.

I really liked the co-op aspect. It was a nice touch and glad it replaced the multiplayer of DS2. I don't think it will come after the end and follow Isaac. The ending is perfectly set up for another game.

Also, you should be careful with spoilers. The bit of text shown when you hover over the title of this thread ends with "We all know..." Could be very easy for someone to accidentally hover on it and spoil the ending if you have used two or three fewer words before that sentence.

I hope the DLC is exactly as you described. It's pretty much what I was picturing after reading the Awakening achievements myself. I'm sure people will complain that they cut off the end to sell it to us later but I'd rather see significant story continuation than a side quest (ala Mass Effect 3 post-game add-ons) that has little bearing on anything other than minor or meaningless plot details. The last thing I want to end up with is some crap DLC where I'm playing from Norton's point of view during the middle of the game, you know?

It would be nice if they did continue to a truer ending of sorts - I felt a little disappointed at the end of DS3 and the final voice message reminded me of when shepherds body suddenly moved at the end of Mass Effect 3...

The one problem is that surely all necromorphs are gone now though if the marker signal is no more, right?

I really liked the co-op aspect. It was a nice touch and glad it replaced the multiplayer of DS2. I don't think it will come after the end and follow Isaac. The ending is perfectly set up for another game.

Also, you should be careful with spoilers. The bit of text shown when you hover over the title of this thread ends with "We all know..." Could be very easy for someone to accidentally hover on it and spoil the ending if you have used two or three fewer words before that sentence.

Then where and when would it take place? The story as-is doesn't really allow for any additional characters to be introduced at this point. And we already know that one of the achievements involves escaping from Tau Volantis to the Terra Nova. So unless we're talking about 200 years prior - which seems extremely unlikely given that unitologists are involved - it's gonna be Isaac and Carver.

And as far as spoilers go. Gimme a break. I already tagged the thread for spoilers in the title. Anyone that "hovers" over it after reading the title has been thoroughly warned. I'm not going even further out of my way to accomodate them.

It would be nice if they did continue to a truer ending of sorts - I felt a little disappointed at the end of DS3 and the final voice message reminded me of when shepherds body suddenly moved at the end of Mass Effect 3...

The one problem is that surely all necromorphs are gone now though if the marker signal is no more, right?

Seems like the unitologists are going to end up being the main threat. Also keep in mind - Just because they destroyed the moon and stopped the signal doesn't mean the necromorphs are gone. It just means that no more can be created.

Then where and when would it take place? The story as-is doesn't really allow for any additional characters to be introduced at this point. And we already know that one of the achievements involves escaping from Tau Volantis to the Terra Nova. So unless we're talking about 200 years prior - which seems extremely unlikely given that unitologists are involved - it's gonna be Isaac and Carver.

And as far as spoilers go. Gimme a break. I already tagged the thread for spoilers in the title. Anyone that "hovers" over it after reading the title has been thoroughly warned. I'm not going even further out of my way to accomodate them.

Seems like the unitologists are going to end up being the main threat. Also keep in mind - Just because they destroyed the moon and stopped the signal doesn't mean the necromorphs are gone. It just means that no more can be created.

I've accidentally left my cursor sitting on a title before. So, yes it can happen. And someone was nice enough to spoil the ending to the game before it was released because of this even with "spoilers" put in the title. You don't have to be so rude.

I still don't think it will be Isaac. It just doesn't sound like a story line that follows after the end of the game. It could be going on simultaneously. It could happen before Isaac arrives at Tau Volantis. Either way, I am pretty sure there is nothing in DS3 alluding to a Unitologist Cult Leader on Tau Volantis with Isaac.

I've accidentally left my cursor sitting on a title before. So, yes it can happen. And someone was nice enough to spoil the ending to the game before it was released because of this even with "spoilers" put in the title. You don't have to be so rude.

I still don't think it will be Isaac. It just doesn't sound like a story line that follows after the end of the game. It could be going on simultaneously. It could happen before Isaac arrives at Tau Volantis. Either way, I am pretty sure there is nothing in DS3 alluding to a Unitologist Cult Leader on Tau Volantis with Isaac.

Not being rude. Just saying I've done my part. And no offense. But if a topic title was marked spoilers, and you're the one that "accidentally" hovered too long over the thread title, it's YOUR fault the ending was spoiled. Not the TC.

As far as your second paragraph. How does it NOT sound like a story that follows the ending? Sure, like I said, there's the possibility that the DLC takes place 200 years prior. But it's extremely unlikely. Since Unitology would've only been in it's infancy. And even so, it wouldn't have taken place then, or anytime in between, because the unitologists didn't find Tau Volantis until Norton led them there. It also won't be going on simultaneously. This isn't Titan Station. There's no one else on the planet. There's Isaac, his group, and the unitologists. That's it. Untilogists, by the way, in full force. Just because Danik led them doesn't mean there aren't more "cult" leaders among them. That'd only make sense. Since virtually every large scale organization in the world has a leadership heirarchy.

Not being rude. Just saying I've done my part. And no offense. But if a topic title was marked spoilers, and you're the one that "accidentally" hovered too long over the thread title, it's YOUR fault the ending was spoiled. Not the TC.

As far as your second paragraph. How does it NOT sound like a story that follows the ending? Sure, like I said, there's the possibility that the DLC takes place 200 years prior. But it's extremely unlikely. Since Unitology would've only been in it's infancy. And even so, it wouldn't have taken place then, or anytime in between, because the unitologists didn't find Tau Volantis until Norton led them there. It also won't be going on simultaneously. This isn't Titan Station. There's no one else on the planet. There's Isaac, his group, and the unitologists. That's it. Untilogists, by the way, in full force. Just because Danik led them doesn't mean there aren't more "cult" leaders among them. That'd only make sense. Since virtually every large scale organization in the world has a leadership heirarchy.

Each person is entitled to his or her opinion. No reason to come across as so hostile because I don't agree with you.

The achievements and title of the DLC just do not sound like they follow the main game storyline, to me at least. That is all.

Also, if you had read my post, I said you came CLOSE to spoiling the ending, but didn't actually. I never claimed you spoiled anything.

Edited by xhunterrrr

The achievements and title of the DLC just do not sound like they follow the main game storyline, to me at least. That is all.

But why do you say that??? That's what I'm trying to find out here. The title ties DIRECTLY to the main plot (hell, even the hidden chapter message about the moons.) So, exactly how could you think that this doesn't tie in to the main story? Just doesn't make any sense. And you're not really providing any explanation to help it, either.

SO when does this Dlc supposed to come out? March right?

Yep. And it looks like they aren't wasting any time. Hell, seems to me like they're having a hard time waiting. They announced the DLC the day the game released. And they've already updated the achievement list. So I'd say it'll be out the first tuesday of March.

Edited by ThePumpkinKing

But why do you say that??? That's what I'm trying to find out here. The title ties DIRECTLY to the main plot (hell, even the hidden chapter message about the moons.) So, exactly how could you think that this doesn't tie in to the main story? Just doesn't make any sense. And you're not really providing any explanation to help it, either.

I don't have any proof or evidence. The feel just doesn't come across as story continuation. It is my opinion. I am allowed to have it, even if it is horribly wrong and unsupported.

Since it says nothing of Isaac, maybe it has to do with Unitology and less of Isaac. I do not know every little fact of the Dead Space universe nor have I ever claimed that. So, I don't know the history of Tau Volantis. But maybe there was a Unitology group that existed for a time there. If you know everything about Tau Volantis, feel free to share.

Edited by xhunterrrr

I thought that they just destroyed the one moon above tau volantis. Aren't there other moons across space that are the "brother" moons? This would mean that the necromorph situation is far from over, or maybe I interpreted the ending wrong?

If I understand correctly, the "necromoon" was the source of the signal that was responsible for the markers that were in the previous games. So being destroyed removed the signal from the markers that were in the previous games. The necromorphs may still exist where the other moons are present.

I could be completely wrong. That it what ive learned so far.

The necromorphs would have to be gone - we learnt in DS2 that all Ishimura necromorphs became "goo" after that marker was destroyed so I'm not sure how they could work that in short of saying "Oh, actually Isaac hasn't ended it all."

I think you might be correct regarding scient... Sorry, unitologists being the antagonist (although I hope they aren't!)

Although I like the idea of DLC picking up where DS3 left off, I think that it will be taking place 200 years in the past. Perhaps we'll play as one of Mahan's top-tier soldier(s). Overloading a reactor = blowing a section of the base full of don't-want-to-die troopers or unitologists?. Unitology existed back then, and there were unitology fanatics among S.C.A.F. like the sergeant who manoeuvred his men into eating infected flesh. Also, it was never explained (or was it?) how Ellie found Tau Volantis in the first place - some intel on the expedition must have lasted after all. Maybe escaping on to the Terra Nova part is all about that - sending some transmission with planet's coordinates that will be discovered 200 years later? It's all just speculation, but the S.C.A.F. expedition has a lot of story potential and Visceral clearly realises that (all those stories told by logs in optional missions).

Also while "Awakening" might refer to Clarke and Carver, it was also used to describe periodic waves of increased religious attitudes among British colonist and then American people. Since unitology is featured in that DLC, this seems appropriate. Maybe we'll learn how the realy fanatical fraction came to be (kill the leader - give them a martyr just like Altman; spare him - allow his lies to spread and keep converting people).

And what about Lexine Murdoch Weller from "DS2 Severed" and "DS Extraction"? where is she? Lexine’s ship launches and escapes the Titan station (Severed ending). She is now a target of EarthGov with an immediate termination order if found.

I think she is very important because of her immunity to the Marker: EarthGov wanted Gabe Weller to conceive a child with her for analytical purposes.

Although I like the idea of DLC picking up where DS3 left off, I think that it will be taking place 200 years in the past. Perhaps we'll play as one of Mahan's top-tier soldier(s). Overloading a reactor = blowing a section of the base full of don't-want-to-die troopers or unitologists?. Unitology existed back then, and there were unitology fanatics among S.C.A.F. like the sergeant who manoeuvred his men into eating infected flesh. Also, it was never explained (or was it?) how Ellie found Tau Volantis in the first place - some intel on the expedition must have lasted after all. Maybe escaping on to the Terra Nova part is all about that - sending some transmission with planet's coordinates that will be discovered 200 years later? It's all just speculation, but the S.C.A.F. expedition has a lot of story potential and Visceral clearly realises that (all those stories told by logs in optional missions).

Also while "Awakening" might refer to Clarke and Carver, it was also used to describe periodic waves of increased religious attitudes among British colonist and then American people. Since unitology is featured in that DLC, this seems appropriate. Maybe we'll learn how the realy fanatical fraction came to be (kill the leader - give them a martyr just like Altman; spare him - allow his lies to spread and keep converting people).

the graphic novel liberation explains everything prior from who carver and danik are to how ellie got to tau volantis and no one had been there since the sovereign colonies did.

i hope its issac and carver but if you think about the unitologists helping danik are still there what if they split up and some are awakened and know the markers are bad and uprise and the others still believe they are necessary and you play as a unitologist fighting to kill the others and stop them.but im definitely hoping for more issac and carver i mean issac is the marker killer after all it would take more then a necromoon to kill him.

And what about Lexine Murdoch Weller from "DS2 Severed" and "DS Extraction"? where is she? Lexine’s ship launches and escapes the Titan station (Severed ending). She is now a target of EarthGov with an immediate termination order if found.

I think she is very important because of her immunity to the Marker: EarthGov wanted Gabe Weller to conceive a child with her for analytical purposes.

EarthGov has been overthrown. I think it's safe to assume that Lexine is safe.

and there were unitology fanatics among S.C.A.F. like the sergeant who manoeuvred his men into eating infected flesh.

He wasn't a Unitologist. He was just driven insane by the Marker signal. Several SCAF soldiers were. Never once, anywhere, is it referenced that there were Unitologists involved in the SCAF expedition to Tau Volantis.

Edited by ThePumpkinKing

The developers were quoted as saying the DLC will be some of the most disturbing Dead Space content ever, so honestly I don't think it has anything to do with Carver or Isaac. I think it has more to do with the prologue than anything. Wouldn't be surprised if it ended similar to Severed, either.