Subscription based

JORDAN K 95

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you get it in the first place then? ;)

Before all the subscription nonsense, it was among one of my most anticipated games of next year. My friends and I were stoked to play it.

Now I'm not here to argue that "F2P is better than P2P" or anything like that, I'm just not a PC MMO gamer so: a. I'm not used to online subscriptions like other people and b. I don't have the funds to pay monthly for the game when I have other things that my $180 could go towards by the time I would have owned the game for a full year.

Why would you get it in the first place then? ;)

Here's what I don't get ...

1. The Division is an MMO, yet Ubisoft been saying it won't be subscription based.

2. The Crew is an MMO, yet Ubisoft has been saying it won't be subscription based.

3. Destiny is an MMO (mostly), yet Bungie has been saying it won't be subscription based.

---

All three of those titles are going to be using their own servers (and/or Azure Cloud servers) to provide players servers to play on. All of those games look to be planning to continue to add content post-launch (though probably charging for said content via DLC). So why is it that ZeniMax doesn't think they can provide the same service?

I think this announcement of a subscription fee cost them A LOT of potential buyers and players. If instead, they'd had microtransactions for all kinds of character customization ... they probably would have ended up making the same kind of money, but without the backlash and people canceling pre-orders and such.

Subscription-based MMO gaming is coming to an end. F2P and microtransactions are the way of the future. Either that, or you've got to make the subscription fee A HELL OF A LOT LOWER. $240/year in subscription fees is just too high.

Here's what I don't get ...

1. The Division is an MMO, yet Ubisoft been saying it won't be subscription based.

2. The Crew is an MMO, yet Ubisoft has been saying it won't be subscription based.

3. Destiny is an MMO (mostly), yet Bungie has been saying it won't be subscription based.

exactly. i was expecting and elderscrolls online game. not an elder scrolls MMO which is why i wasnt expecting it to be subscription based

Subscription-based MMO gaming is coming to an end. F2P and microtransactions are the way of the future. Either that, or you've got to make the subscription fee A HELL OF A LOT LOWER. $240/year in subscription fees is just too high.

It works extremely well for EVE Online...they have no plans on dropping their subscription after 10+ years of being around. Infact, they've been gaining subscriptions.

It works extremely well for EVE Online...they have no plans on dropping their subscription after 10+ years of being around. Infact, they've been gaining subscriptions.

Personally I think out of those two options F2P should be the way to go with these games. I would rather have options of purchase than having to pay monthly and have things I won't use.

Personally I think out of those two options F2P should be the way to go with these games. I would rather have options of purchase than having to pay monthly and have things I won't use.

You have the option of going to play some of the countless F2P games already in existence without hordes of you demanding this game drop its sub fees because you're all too god damn cheap. When it gets dropped and instead it gets packed full of pay to win MT's....you can then look back at yourselves and give yourself a pat on the back for completely destroying a game.

You have the option of going to play some of the countless F2P games already in existence without hordes of you demanding this game drop its sub fees because you're all too god damn cheap. When it gets dropped and instead it gets packed full of pay to win MT's....you can then look back at yourselves and give yourself a pat on the back for completely destroying a game.

I will happily pat myself on the back if this ever goes F2P. :D

I will happily pat myself on the back if this ever goes F2P. :D

With you there :p

Seriously though, I'm not saying it should be pay to win, I hate that model. But if done right what's wrong with F2P?

With you there :p

Seriously though, I'm not saying it should be pay to win, I hate that model. But if done right what's wrong with F2P?

Because 9 times out of 10 it's not done properly. And being Bethesda has their hands in this...if you force them to remove the sub fees...they will make up for it with over priced MT's and before you know it...you'll have the ability to buy weapons/armors for real money.

Because 9 times out of 10 it's not done properly. And being Bethesda has their hands in this...if you force them to remove the sub fees...they will make up for it with over priced MT's and before you know it...you'll have the ability to buy weapons/armors for real money.

But... HORSE ARMOR!

I don't think this has anything to do with us being cheap, Gackt. We're simply listing logical and valid alternatives and being that we aren't PC MMO gamers, many of us aren't used to - or support - this model of subbing.

And besides...this game could have made tons of money just off initial copy sales, microtransaction fees, and paid expansions. The Elder Scrolls fanbase is huge, with something like over 10 million copies of Skyrim sold. They could have easily made a profit with a model like GW2, the only reason they decided on P2P is because they hold delusions of toppling WoW like so many other MMO makers in the last several years.

Just my opinion. No one attack me please :o

Edited by BiggD

IGN has a nice discussion on this:

It's not really the $15 fee that is the problem for most people. Like KOTOR, it's whether or not they can keep coming out with new content to keep up. If there isn't any new content, people end up cancelling.

Wow gameplay and graphics looked like shit. I'd rather play Skyrim lol. Graphics and gameplay better be better over time or this game to me will be like a pipe dream. :confused:

On topic I have never played an CP MMO nor subbed to a game. I refuse to play World of warcraft cause it is ''too addictive'' I've heard. Paying for Internet,Gold,AND a sub does NOT SOUND FUN to me. As much as I love the Elder Scrolls series I'd rather just play Skyrim and Oblivion instead of this if something doesn't give.

Like Powder Penguin said ''I'll wait and see what happens over time.''

Edited by Deadsea 1993

Wow, I never noticed that! I always thought it was PowderPenguin. I need to slow down my reading, I'm to the point when I see my name I see WaiterWheat and say it that way in my head. This confirms it's out of hand.

Nope its cause you are an old man. People that are old have poor eyesight. KIDDING :p

Stress from the job. Selling Meth really wears on your senses.

Talk to WalterWhite. It sounds like cooking meth is even worse for your mental health.

EDIT: Just read WalterWhite's reply. Somehow I completely missed the fact that he was involved in this conversation and that you were referencing him.

Edited by xhunterrrr

Nope its cause you are an old man. People that are old have poor eyesight. KIDDING :p

Could be yo, I'm a fuddy duddy at heart.

Stress from the job. Selling Meth really wears on your senses.

This is all your fault to begin with. I still say it was PowderPenguin all along, there's some Harry Potter shit going on around here. I don't trust you and your witchcraft anymore, I would have bet my life that said PowderPenguin, I was honestly shocked earlier that I hadn't noticed, haha. I can't be the only one, say it ain't so...

This is all your fault to begin with. I still say it was PowderPenguin all along, there's some Harry Potter shit going on around here. I don't trust you and your witchcraft anymore, I would have bet my life that said PowderPenguin, I was honestly shocked earlier that I hadn't noticed, haha. I can't be the only one, say it ain't so...

If it's any consolation, the name derived from PowderPenguin ;)

See here to find out how.