Aperture Science - Everything You Need to Know

You want the gold medals? I've got 'em. They're entirely do-able with a little cheating, though, not stupid-easy. You still need to work quickly to beat a few time-levels and pretty carefully to beat a few step-levels.

Cheats?!

Yep. Cheats.

Disclaimer: When you use a cheat on a level, you cannot finish the level without being labelled a cheater. Approach the exit elevator, but before entering save the game. Quit to the Orange Box Main Menu. Relaunch Portal

CRITICAL STEP

Load a "New" Game, pick the same level. Let the game load the start of that level and then load the saved game. Walk in the exit elevator, boom. Gold Medal.

If you do NOT load the "New" level first, the game will glitch and you will lose ALL MEDALS. Additionally, you will have to play out the last chapter of the story again to even unlock the challenge levels.

Cheats:

Generate a Block

Down B A B Y Down B A B Y

Shoot an Energy Ball

Up Y Y X X A A B B Up

Enable Portals on ANY Surface

Y A Y A B A B Y Left Right

Invincibility

LB Up RB Up LB LB Up RB RB Up

• Those are all I used. More exist, but aren't needed.
  • Directions indicate D-Pad
  • Before doing this, disable X,Y,A,B from your Controls. Let LB and RB manage jump and item-pickup. LS will be duck. This way you won't be accidentally adding extra steps when you're entering the cheat codes.

Yeah, this information already exists somewhere but I had a hard time finding it all in one spot. Enjoy the shortcut to imaginary victory points.

whats the point of cheating:confused:

I'm going to guess that means you got this legitimately. Well great job on that you truly are an expert gamer.

If you by chance haven't gotten this achievement then realize that lots of us like to actually get the achievement, and for 40G I'm not going to go cry in a corner about how I wrecked my chances to get it normally.

And with Still Alive out you can still get a actual score seeing as cheats are disabled there :3

• 5 weeks later...

I realize that everyone should be able to play a game as they want to play it, so if you want to use cheats, that is perfectly fine. However, I just don't understand the point of using cheats to gain achievements.

What is the reason that many of you just simply want the achievements and gamerscore? My view on the subject is the following; If you did not have to put in an effort to gain something that should be a reflection of your skill and patience, then doesn't that make it worthless? What is the point of having a high gamerscore if you gained it by playing the easiest games and using exploits to gain the achievements?

If the achievement was easy to obtain, doesn't that make it essentially meaningless? I can only think of 3 reasons to cheat to gain achievements: Having a high gamerscore because you're a collector, but without the points having a real meaning, Creating the illusion of being an experienced gamer, or Claiming to have gotten the achievement legitimately to increase your internet status.

Now, please note that I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just want to know what the point is of cheating to gain achievements.

I realize that everyone should be able to play a game as they want to play it, so if you want to use cheats, that is perfectly fine. However, I just don't understand the point of using cheats to gain achievements.

What is the reason that many of you just simply want the achievements and gamerscore? My view on the subject is the following; If you did not have to put in an effort to gain something that should be a reflection of your skill and patience, then doesn't that make it worthless? What is the point of having a high gamerscore if you gained it by playing the easiest games and using exploits to gain the achievements?

If the achievement was easy to obtain, doesn't that make it essentially meaningless? I can only think of 3 reasons to cheat to gain achievements: Having a high gamerscore because you're a collector, but without the points having a real meaning, Creating the illusion of being an experienced gamer, or Claiming to have gotten the achievement legitimately to increase your internet status.

Now, please note that I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just want to know what the point is of cheating to gain achievements.

True, but sometimes people just want to get the achievement and move on. I have 18/19 gold medals (stupid least steps on 16) and love the challenge. I really and almost pushed to glitching the last one because it is so ridiculous to get the stupid energy balls to go randomly into a receiver using a box while going around 5 walls. I got lucky once, but got 152 steps and realized it was my first part where i got the extra steps. So 3 hours of work for nothing. That is truely the only puzzle in the game where I find it ridiculous to be forced to do that to get gold (maybe the camera trick on 18 is ridiculous to for some people, as well as the camera trick on time on 17). But that is just my rage induced rant haha.

I agree with you, but sometimes an achievement will bug me because I know I can glitch it and it will take a lot of luck to get it. I just want to move on with this one to still alive so I can try to compete with the leaderboards, but I will give it a few tries

EDIT: Finally got it, I got 148 steps because I got really really lucky. I actually just fired a portal and started texting and the energy ball found the reciever, finally haha. But as kind of a slap in the face my internet cut out right after I dropped the cube in the incinerator, so no time stamp. Ah well.

Edited by Dcon6393

• 1 month later...

Nice thread but I'm ready to give up on finishing the orange box with 100% because of these portal challanges. There are absolutely no videos online that are captured from a 360 while using the cheats and the save glitch. I don't want to have to even wrap my head around this crap and I never liked Portal to begin with.

It's a damn shame too, If I would have known that aperture science achievement would have prevented me from total completion, I wouldn't have bothered with the other cheeves.

All these people that claim they did this in a day using cheats, I have one thing to say to you, "I've been gaming since 1978 on consoles exclusively (yeah I despise pc gaming) and never in my life have I come accross such a ridiculous challange as these Gold Challenges!" :mad:

I have 3 games to complete before my gamefly trial runs out and am seriously considering just saying fugit with this game. I'd rather put up with trying that Mile High Club again in COD4 or even put up with getting that last cheeve in COD Classic then to have to hurt my brain and waste my time with this.

Does anyone know of any video guides for gold that were actually captured on 360's and also show them using cheats? If not, then this game will just have to stay uncompleted.

Thanks

Actually nevermind what I said about finding those cheat videos. I never cared for Valve's games anyhow and Have decided to delete my save of 6 golds and am returning this peice of shit back to gamefly tomorrow. Not worth my time or effort as these challanges were clearly designed for pc and I don't do pc gaming.

Anyhow I'm done here and done with Valve as well. Never liked Half Life or Left 4 dead either tbh.:mad:

• 5 weeks later...
Actually nevermind what I said about finding those cheat videos. I never cared for Valve's games anyhow and Have decided to delete my save of 6 golds and am returning this peice of shit back to gamefly tomorrow. Not worth my time or effort as these challanges were clearly designed for pc and I don't do pc gaming.

Anyhow I'm done here and done with Valve as well. Never liked Half Life or Left 4 dead either tbh.:mad:

That's a shame that you're giving up but I guess it isn't for everyone. I've only played Portal on the Orange Box so far and enjoyed it, the humour was brilliant and the game play was good fun, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy Half Life or Team Fortress as much but we'll see. Anyway what I was going to get to before starting rambling is that although the Orange Box is a great deal with the amount of games provided, if you don't like the games on it then it doesn't matter how many there are it's not worth getting. So yea, returning it is probably your best option.

• 2 months later...

Just got Aperture Science. Probably the toughest achievement I've done. I used a combination of glitches and cheats (yeah, I cheated) and it was still damn hard. Probably the toughest one by far is the time trial in Chamber 13. Cheats won't help you and you have to do everything absolutely perfect.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...