The 10 hardest Xbox Achievements

alpha17

An article recently popped up on Yahoo about the ten hardest Xbox 360 achievements. http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/10-hardest-xbox-achievements-211201492.html

In no way do I support there claims of the achievements listed in fact most of them I disagree with I just wanted others opinion on if they agree with any of them at all. The one thing I'm happy about is that fact that people are being educated on what we as achievement hunters do.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Most of them are grinding achievements, which do indeed suck.

Mass Effect 3 on insanity definitely isn't one. I'd gladly take on that challenge before trying to topple the Devil May Cry games achievement lists!

It basically comes down to an article being written by somebody who really isn't familiar with games beyond the commercial hits.

I'm not surprised about the Crysis one considering I only like that game as a technical achievement, not an actual game. That said it really shows the bad side of EA we see a lot.

Bladder of Steel is probably easy if you get a large bottle, some plastic tubing, some sticky tape and depending on gender or personal preference, a she-wee. Then feeding etc will just have to be done there and then, by someone else.

The article claims one achievement is hard just because no one has unlocked it yet. All that means to me is no one bought the game but now the article is up I am sure some one will attempt to do it.

Judging by this:

http://www.trueachievements.com/a157107/i-am-arthur-clark-achievement.htm

TA has 227 gamers tracked which have this game and not a single one of them has this achievement, and that must be something considering the game is 11 months old.

And seriously, complete the game, start to finish in one sitting, without dying. It's NOT impossible, it's just, is it worth attempting, to become that one guy, who did it.

Edited by CHIRUNO99

Whoever wrote that list doesn't know what they're talking about, at least with Mass Effect 3. You unlock Insanity by beating the game once, no matter the difficulty (I guess, I always play on Normal so it always unlocks). And no, ME3 on Insanity is far easier than ME2, which was a nasty, nasty difficulty.

They also got the Gunstringer one wrong, it's beat the game on Hardcore, in one sitting, without losing a life.

I disagree w the ME3 part. I'm not an FPS type of gamer, but playing on insanity isn't so bad as long as you have some patience and a good upgraded weapon/biotics. I'm halfway through my insanity play through and it's easier than I thought it would be....I would think the 5k kills cheevo to be more challenging, IMHO, since it requires some grinding (at least for me). ;)

"Mile High Club" (Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare)

Many players don't notice this bonus campaign mission, which only pops up after you complete the mission "Game Over" and watch the credits to the end.

From there, you can go to the mission select menu to play it -- but earning its achievement is another matter entirely. To do that, you'll have to clear out an airplane full of 30 extremely skilled enemy terrorists in only 1 minute. How hard is it? It's an achievement that has taken even the most skilled CoD players weeks to complete.

I did this in a couple hours on a slightly delayed TV :p

So, one by one.

Seriously 3.0: Yeah, takes several hundered hours, so I'll buy it deserving a spot on the list.

7 Day Survivor: It will occupy an entire day, and it can get really hard if you don't have the mega buster and are actually trying to fight the zombies as opposed to hiding on a shelf.

Bladder of Steel:

Bladder of Steel is probably easy if you get a large bottle, some plastic tubing, some sticky tape and depending on gender or personal preference, a she-wee. Then feeding etc will just have to be done there and then, by someone else.

Um, no. I had to try it twice because after 6 hours of playing on expert bass I could literally no longer move my fingers (got the platinum after taking a 30 minute rest, returning to finish Visions). We even almost failed as a duo because one of our members (not me) thought he had more time between songs. It isn't easy, and it is very easy to fail.

Hard to the Core: Haven't tried the game, but any time you remove checkpoints, you make things way more difficult (see also: Splosion Man)

Strings of Steel: I didn't think the Gunstringer was that hard. Then I watched other people play the game. Yeah, this game can destroy your elbow, and if you don't know to pause just before you die (I recommend not having to use that so you can still move by the final levels), you are in serious trouble.

Dedication: Not hard at all, but definitely annoying

Insanity: It depends on your character class, honestly. And who you bring with you. With the wrong set up, you are going to have an extremely difficult time defending those missiles. The description is wrong, though. They confused parts of ME1 with ME3.

Mile High Club: Never played a Call of Duty game (and have no plans to), but I trust the people who say it is the hardest achievement they have unlocked.

Ultimate Battler: I understand this is more of a grind than a challenge, but it still has its hard bits.

I Am Arthur C Clarke: I would think that this achievement is the reason why so few people have played the game.

So, I have 4 of the 10 (Insanity, 7 Day Survivor, Strings and Bladder of Steel) and only really take issue with one of the achievements on the list.

Based on TrueAchievement's list of the highest TA ratios, none of those are in the top 10. The hardest one, based on TA ratio, is "Strings of Steel."

TA Ratio has absolutely nothing to do with difficulty. TA Ratio is based on a gamer's dedication to actually get the achievement. As a result, good games tend to have low ratios (see Assassin's Creed 2) and bad games tend to have higher ratios. The ratio is not an indicator of difficulty.

Edited by Capn Doug

TA Ratio has absolutely nothing to do with difficulty. TA Ratio is based on a gamer's dedication to actually get the achievement. As a result, good games tend to have low ratios (see Assassin's Creed 2) and bad games tend to have higher ratios. The ratio is not an indicator of difficulty.

So, then why do achievements that take skill in that game tend to have higher ratios? You said that it is based on the person's dedication, but obviously the difficulty of the achievement itself is going to affect that and determine whether or not they will actually attempt to obtain the achievement, right? Basically, isn't the difficulty of the achievement going to their dedication?

Its all a matter of opinion. Hexic HD deserves a mention though. 2 very, very hard achievements on that game and I have 1 of them. I still can't get 6 black pearls on that game. Came close once, but no cigar.

I will agree that Star Ocean was deserving. There are so many battle trophies on that game its quite ridiculous. I'm in the process of playing it, and don't intend to ever get the 1000g on it. But I'm going for what I can. Otherwise, its not really a bad list. I don't have any of them, and I can't say I'd be interested in stressing myself out over them lol.

So, then why do achievements that take skill in that game tend to have higher ratios? You said that it is based on the person's dedication, but obviously the difficulty of the achievement itself is going to affect that and determine whether or not they will actually attempt to obtain the achievement, right? Basically, isn't the difficulty of the achievement going to their dedication?

Compare games with similar ratios. Is Assassin's Creed 2 the same level of difficulty as Where the Wild Things Are? They have identical ratios. If it was based on difficulty, they would not be the same. But Assassin's Creed 2 is a good game and people want to complete it, so it's ratio is driven down. Same with Halo ODST and Clive Barker's Jericho, one is GSL material, the other includes an achievement that many rank up there with Mile High Club (Endure), yet they have simiar ratios. Mile High Club is consistantly ranked as the hardest achievement out there, and yet is has a fairly modest ratio. Because people WANT to unlock it. People WANT to show that off. It may take many tries, but people have the dedication and determination to unlock it.

Look at the discussion on Strings of Steel when it first came out. The achievement was designed to intimidate people, some described it as proof that Twisted Pixel hates achievement hunters. And guess what: It isn't that hard, it just scares the crap out of people. A lot of people gave up on the game because they had trouble getting gold stars.

Look at what some people rule out immediately: DLC? Not going to bother with that. Online achievements? No thanks. Second playthrough? Why would I want to play the game again? All these have a massive effect on TA ratio and have nothing to do with difficulty. So to claim that a high ratio indicates difficulty is patently false. But I know that a lot of the ratio whores like to encourage the fallacy. Heck, my hardest achievement does not even make my top 10 ratios. No, difficulty =/= high ratio.

And the DLC policy of TA is just bullshit. How else would you get situations where getting a 10 fruit combo with a specific set of tools has a lower ratio than getting an 8 fruit combo in any fashion? It seems like if you get a 10 fruit combo, you are also getting an 8 fruit combo.

Edited by Capn Doug

Of the 10 games there, I've only played three: Gears of War 3, Rock Band 2, and CoD4. And for each of those games I have the achievement on the list. So I'm fairly confident when I say that none of those achievements are difficult.

Seriously 3.0 is insanely time consuming. The hardest part of the game is completing Campaign, Horde, and Beast on Insane difficulty but all three modes can be done in 4 player co-op. Even if you aren't the best having three people to help more than makes up.

Bladder of Steel, again, is just time consuming. As it was intended to be. Unless you can't even play on Easy this achievement isn't difficult because you can play at a difficulty below your skill level. If you do fall in the "can't play on easy" then why the hell are you going for this achievement?

As for Mile High Club, I take back what I said; it IS difficult. But not difficult enough to be featured on this list nor even a top 25 difficult achievements list. I am by no means a god at Call of Duty but this achievement took me somewhere between 10 and 20 attempts. A far cry from what I've read from some people on this site. If you can beat the game on Veteran then you can get this achievement. I found the level 'The Silo' on Call of Duty 2 to be a shit tonne harder than this level.

Compare games with similar ratios. Is Assassin's Creed 2 the same level of difficulty as Where the Wild Things Are? They have identical ratios. If it was based on difficulty, they would not be the same. But Assassin's Creed 2 is a good game and people want to complete it, so it's ratio is driven down. Same with Halo ODST and Clive Barker's Jericho, one is GSL material, the other includes an achievement that many rank up there with Mile High Club (Endure), yet they have simiar ratios. Mile High Club is consistantly ranked as the hardest achievement out there, and yet is has a fairly modest ratio. Because people WANT to unlock it. People WANT to show that off. It may take many tries, but people have the dedication and determination to unlock it.

Look at the discussion on Strings of Steel when it first came out. The achievement was designed to intimidate people, some described it as proof that Twisted Pixel hates achievement hunters. And guess what: It isn't that hard, it just scares the crap out of people. A lot of people gave up on the game because they had trouble getting gold stars.

Look at what some people rule out immediately: DLC? Not going to bother with that. Online achievements? No thanks. Second playthrough? Why would I want to play the game again? All these have a massive effect on TA ratio and have nothing to do with difficulty. So to claim that a high ratio indicates difficulty is patently false. But I know that a lot of the ratio whores like to encourage the fallacy. Heck, my hardest achievement does not even make my top 10 ratios. No, difficulty =/= high ratio.

And the DLC policy of TA is just bullshit. How else would you get situations where getting a 10 fruit combo with a specific set of tools has a lower ratio than getting an 8 fruit combo in any fashion? It seems like if you get a 10 fruit combo, you are also getting an 8 fruit combo.

I see what you're saying now, but I still think the difficulty of obtaining the achievement plays into the ratio, whether it be directly or indirectly.