Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Am I the only one really excited?

I really like the mythology of the series, its characters, its setting...the XIII universe is just so fascinating to me. It might not be a 'traditional' Final Fantasy, but I don't think it matters. I play Final Fantasy for the story, and XIII and XIII-2 did not disappoint.

(Although that cliffhanger ending made me want XIII-3 even more.)

I was just wondering if I was the only one truly excited about it, since everywhere I look, including on this board, people are overwhelmingly 'meh' or downright vitriolic. Is there no-one else really interested in the end of the trilogy?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm excited for the game. I enjoyed the mechanics and monsters over the story in XIII-2, so I am looking forward to the changes in LR.

I liked the mechanics and story in 13-2 more than 13. 13 is still good but not as good as its sequel. Cant wait for Lightning Returns. I will be picking this game up a couple of days before its release date.

• 4 weeks later...

XIII drew me in with the whole cinematic's, diverse character's and their stories on how they all met up and whatnot. XIII-2 drew me in cause of re-returns, amazing story on what happened after XIII. I look forward to Lightning Returns for the fact of, Lightning is my all time favorite character, despite her being quite weak in XIII. Already have my copy pre-ordered too :) just waiting to see if they release some type of collectors edition now.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Playing the demo showed me that I'd really like to have an action game with Lightning :x The fighting system seems to be relatively entertaining though with the options and costume-switch timing possibilities from what I could gather with my limited japanese knowledge.

Edited by Schreckofant

I'm really looking forward to this, a little less so than I was for XIII-2, but can't wait to try out the new real time battle system. It does strike me as a bit more of daunting game however, from what I know there's a lot of things to do and see, and the areas look massive compared to the previous games. Saying that however, FFXII had very large areas from what I remember. Anyway, we shall see. :)

i really cant wait for lightning returns its dragging so bad i want to play it now haha.

does anyone else think lightning reminds them of cloud strife? she really reminds me of him

She's at least reminiscent of the older, less dorky FF protagonists before FF9.

It's a shame she didn't get a better & more epic storyline in her two games, because I think she was actually an improvement over the PS2 (and FF9...) characters, while the games arguable weren't ...

And considering the FF15 Hipster crew she's probably going to be the only decent character (next to Sazh) for a while too.

Edited by Schreckofant

It's a shame she didn't get a better & more epic storyline in her two games, because I think she was actually an improvement over the PS2 (and FF9...) characters, while the games arguable weren't ...

And considering the FF15 Hipster crew she's probably going to be the only decent character (next to Sazh) for a while too.

yeah i know what your saying. i hated the character design of ff9 characters lol.

lightnings a good character to use in final fantasy dissidia duo decim as well

just started playing the demo. wish i could read japanese lol. im really interested in this battle system seems pretty cool. i like how she changes costume depending on what fighting style your in

Edited by Lewie B I ReQ

What about FFX? I liked all of them characters, specially Wakka and Tidus. FF9 had terrible characters, I gave up on playing after 10 hours.

About the Cloud thing, I was thinking the same while playing XIII last week. Lightning is just badass just like Cloud was.

For all the XIII storyline fans I recommend the prequel book. It describes pretty good the story of Dajh and what he went trough as a L'Cie and the story how Vanille and Fang arrived on Cocoon.

• 2 weeks later...

I post a lot of news updates but I really hate this XIII series which, unless you're living under a rock, is known as the FF series with the most hate. I totally despised all the characters in XIII and waited to buy XIII-2 at the lowest price possible. XIII-2 didn't sold enough to reach Greatest Hits (PS3)/Platinum Hits (Xbox 360) as most were disappointed with the first one.

They're really cashing out in a final push and hope people will buy by heavily marketing DLCs of other Final Fantasies that people actually love. They can't even sell LR:FFXIII on it's own merit.

I post a lot of news updates but I really hate this XIII series which, unless you're living under a rock, is known as the FF series with the most hate. I totally despised all the characters in XIII and waited to buy XIII-2 at the lowest price possible. XIII-2 didn't sold enough to reach Greatest Hits (PS3)/Platinum Hits (Xbox 360) as most were disappointed with the first one.

They're really cashing out in a final push and hope people will buy by heavily marketing DLCs of other Final Fantasies that people actually love. They can't even sell LR:FFXIII on it's own merit.

Each to their own I guess. I agree 13 and 13-2 aint as good as older FF games but that doesn't immediately make it a bad game iv really enjoyed 13and 13-2. Can't wait for lightning returns

What about FFX? I liked all of them characters, specially Wakka and Tidus. FF9 had terrible characters, I gave up on playing after 10 hours.

About the Cloud thing, I was thinking the same while playing XIII last week. Lightning is just badass just like Cloud was.

For all the XIII storyline fans I recommend the prequel book. It describes pretty good the story of Dajh and what he went trough as a L'Cie and the story how Vanille and Fang arrived on Cocoon.

Well, I never said I hated FF9. It was actually my first FF and I even cut school for a couple of days to play it back in the day :p But after picking up the older FF games later I still kinda disliked most of the characters, even though the whole adventure itself was still pretty good.

But for FF10...the game was good and I might have spend the most time out of all FF games on it, but I hated Tidus, sorry. He is frigging retarded, I always felt embarrassed for him. It's not like I generally dislike easy going and funny MCs in RPGs, but he was just dumb. It was annoying. He got better at the end and I kinda liked the tragic ending - but they ruined it all with the FFX-2 ending ofc ...

One of my favorite characters of all time actually is Vash from Trigun ... he comes around as a full on retard like Tidus at the beginning ... but you can always guess that badassery and sadness behind his mask. Tidus feels more like a victim of his fate than a strong character.

And Lightning is easily my favorite MC after Cloud becauce I like her serious and quiet demeanor. I generally prefer characters like that with a meaningful story or reason behind their actions. Unfortunately, while games like FF7 or FF8 focused on the developement and background of the MC, they didn't put much effort behind her ... the FF13 games would have been much better if they had sticked to the old storytelling core ... but they haven't done so in 10 years I guess :/ Would it be so hard to copy the story mechanic of your old games Square??

But picking up on the FF13 story might be a good idea. I almost completely forgot everything about it and esp. in FF13-2 I was just confused like a madman because of all this timewarping.

Edited by Schreckofant

Obviously, the biggest changes are combat, playing as only* 1 character, etc, but I'm really looking forward to it. I didn't like that FFVII spinoff Dirge of something or other, so I hope it's better than that come the final product. I think I'll like it based just on the demo.