Halo 5 Improvements

amos93

I have been a Halo fan since Halo 3 and loved each installment since then. But Halo 4 has been my least favourite for a few reasons.

1. The campaign seemed quite dark, uninteresting and simply not as fun as the older Halo's. Halo 3's campaign was the best campaign iv'e ever played in any game, it was fun, addictive and the story was magnificant. Even Halo Reach had a good campaign but the main character was not very strong, mainly because he didn't talk. So 343 Industries have some work to do.

2. The multiplayer servers were dreadful, Halo has never been known for it's fantastic servers but at least in Halo 3 and Halo Reach you could get into a game and stay in that game without any problems. Halo 4 was annoying, the search would reset a lot and sometimes you would sit there for a few minutes finding nobody when there were 1000's of people playing. I did not like the drop-in drop-out system mainly because it encourages people to leave when they are having a bad game, without penalising them. In Halo 3 you were docked an xp point if you left and in Halo Reach you were put on probation but you have nothing in Halo 4. It also messes the game up completely, it is constantly pausing the game which can be very frustrating as it takes forever to get back into the action.

3. The leveling up system was poor in my opinion, you can only reach rank 130. It seems an odd number to end a leveling up system and it did not take long at all. I reached rank 130 in 8000 kills, in Halo 3 i had 36000 kills and was still only Colonel grade 3. The xp system wasn't amazing as well, i liked the game completion and win bonus but your'e personal score wasn't particularly fair. The max was 750 and you would make more in the game from kills alone.

4. I think that the DMR was over-powered compared to the same guns in it's class. The BR, Covinent Carbine and Light Rifle were powerless when it came to a duel with the DMR. I liked the idea that you could have 4 precision weapons instead of the usual 2 but it would be nicer if they were all just as good as each other.

5. The DLC system was terrible. I have all the DLC maps and iv'e only ever played 1 of them. There are no DLC playlists so just get bored with the same maps over and again. It does disharten people when they have to play on the same 4 or 5 maps over and over again.

6. The grenade system was not like it was in Halo 3 or Halo Reach. In the previous games you could throw your grenade so that it wiukd completely drop your opponents shields but in Halo 4 you throw your grenade and it doesn't hurt them. You even watch the killcam and you can see that your grenade blows up in their face, the killcam was also nothing on COD as it didn't even work, you would watch how somebody sniped you and they would completely miss.

7. No ranked game modes. You need ranked game modes so that you can satisfy your comoetitive gamers. The highest skill system in Halo 3 was amazing, it seperated the elite from the social gamers. The better players would reach a higher level than the rest, if you wanted that general status you had to earn it rather then just bash the game.

My improvements for Halo 5

1. The campaign has to live up to the other Halo's. It has to be fun, addictive and interesting. Introducing the Arbiter back into the game would give the fans a real boost. You seemed to be in on your own 90% of the time, even throwing some marines in ocasionally would make you feel as though you are actually fighting for them.

2. The servers have to be improved. Halo 5 has been rumoured to have dedicated servers so hopefully this happens. Take out the drop-in drop-out system. If players are constantly joining and leaving the game then it will mess up the servers.

3. The leveling up system needs to change. I loved the Halo Reach leveling system, the different ranks instead of a number and the credit system was great, you had to save up for the cool helmets and gold visor instead of just reacing a certain level. So bring back the Halo Reach leveling system.

4. Tone down the DMR so it is just as powerfulmas the other rifles, it would be great to see everyone using different rifles so you can hear the different sounds they produce, it gets boring listening to the same bullet sound every time when you could hear light rifle and carbine sounds.

5. The DLC needs work, have a seperate DLC playlist so people are not wasting there money on maps that they will never play.

6. Bring back the grenade system that we loved in pevious Halo games, enough said.

7. We need a ranked playlist so that the best players can play against the best players. The MLG game mode was great in Halo 3 as it represented the conditions the pro's play.

Additional improvements

1. Bring back Firefight. I loved firefight in Halo 3 ODST, it was fantasic defending yourself against the hordes of the covinent, the forerunners can play too now. It was in Halo Reach but it was re-done and simply not as good. The maps were too open so there was no place to defend and really fight them, you also had unlimited lives so it was ni challenge. In Halo 3 ODST you had a certain number of lives and ammo so when you completed it you would feel like you accomplished something.

2. Bring back the community playlists that we enjoyed in Halo Reach. It was great playing on people's custom made maps. To see there hard work and good design being rewarded by playing on those maps must have been great for the creators of the map.

I think if you put these improvements into Halo5, no doubt other fans have suggested these, then you will have an amazing game.

This is the Halo 4 sub-forum. The "Halo 5" section is that-a-way.

edit: eh, suppose I'll bite.

I have been a Halo fan since Halo 3 and loved each installment since then. But Halo 4 has been my least favourite for a few reasons.

Halo 3 and each installment since? That'd be.. uh, only Halo: Reach? I mean, seeing as Halo Wars was a completely different genre and Halo 3: ODST was essentially a single-player game with Horde mode. The power of this quote is hampered when its readers realize you haven't played either Halo: Combat Evolved or Halo 2.

1. The campaign seemed quite dark, uninteresting and simply not as fun as the older Halo's. Halo 3's campaign was the best campaign iv'e ever played in any game, it was fun, addictive and the story was magnificant. Even Halo Reach had a good campaign but the main character was not very strong, mainly because he didn't talk. So 343 Industries have some work to do.

Halo 4's campaign "seemed quite dark" because it deals mainly with Cortana and her rampancy -- the Chief losing what only friend/lover/companion he's ever had would be expected to be "darK', wouldn't you agree? It being uninteresting and "not as fun" is 100% subjective, on the other hand. And Halo: Reach's protagonist wasn't meant to be "strong" in the first place; the protagonist was meant to be whomever or whatever you wanted it to be -- that's why there was no face or voice applied to the character. If you felt the character wasn't strong, that's more a reflection on your part than anything else.

2. The multiplayer servers were dreadful, Halo has never been known for it's fantastic servers but at least in Halo 3 and Halo Reach you could get into a game and stay in that game without any problems. Halo 4 was annoying, the search would reset a lot and sometimes you would sit there for a few minutes finding nobody when there were 1000's of people playing. I did not like the drop-in drop-out system mainly because it encourages people to leave when they are having a bad game, without penalising them. In Halo 3 you were docked an xp point if you left and in Halo Reach you were put on probation but you have nothing in Halo 4. It also messes the game up completely, it is constantly pausing the game which can be very frustrating as it takes forever to get back into the action.

I've participated in countless Halo 4 games without any interruption - to say that you can't go a game "without any problems" is largely an overstatement. The join-in-progress matchmaking was a hindrance though, no doubt.

in Halo 3 i had 36000 kills and was still only Colonel grade 3.

You were a Colonel Grade 3 because you weren't a high enough rank in a Ranked playlist, not because you didn't have enough kills. The level systems between Halo 3 and Halo 4 are two completely different beasts.

4. I think that the DMR was over-powered compared to the same guns in it's class. The BR, Covinent Carbine and Light Rifle were powerless when it came to a duel with the DMR. I liked the idea that you could have 4 precision weapons instead of the usual 2 but it would be nicer if they were all just as good as each other.

.. You do realise a Light Rifle can utterly destroy a DMR user with fewer headshots, yes? That right there sinks your argument. But even then, it's more realistic to say that each of the precision weapons perform best in their niche ranges. Short range? BR/Carbine. Long range? DMR/LR. Of course you're being destroyed by a DMR when you're trying to headshot them across the map with a BR. It's the same reasons an assault rifle is better a close-range than a laser is -- they both have their preferred ranges at which they're most effective.

6. The grenade system was not like it was in Halo 3 or Halo Reach. In the previous games you could throw your grenade so that it wiukd completely drop your opponents shields but in Halo 4 you throw your grenade and it doesn't hurt them. You even watch the killcam and you can see that your grenade blows up in their face, the killcam was also nothing on COD as it didn't even work, you would watch how somebody sniped you and they would completely miss.

Oh come on. When Halo: Reach came out they called its grenades "mini-nukes" because of it's supposed overpoweredness compared to Halo 3. I personally have no problem cleaning up opponents with headshots after I've downed their shields with a frag grenade. Maybe it's a case of user-error. And I wouldn't trust anything you see on the kill-cam, it's been established since the game came out that it's lagged up the ass.

My improvements for Halo 5

1. The campaign has to live up to the other Halo's. It has to be fun, addictive and interesting. Introducing the Arbiter back into the game would give the fans a real boost. You seemed to be in on your own 90% of the time, even throwing some marines in ocasionally would make you feel as though you are actually fighting for them.

If you understood the campaign of Halo 4, you'd understand why the Chief didn't have marines with him most of the time. But even then, your statement becomes weak when half of the campaign was dedicated to the Chief's rendezvous with Infinity and the latter half working with Forerunner scientists to stop the Didact. With what most of the planet being untouched by human hands considering it's Forerunner, I'm not surprised or disappointed at all why there weren't very much UNSC personnel around, especially since the commander of Infinity was openly hostile and untrusting of Chief to begin with.. I mean, it's actually a no-brainer when you think about it. I would very much prefer a pragmatic and realistic approach to the campaign than to throw in marines nilly-willy so I don't feel "alone" on an alien planet.

The servers have to be improved. Halo 5 has been rumoured to have dedicated servers so hopefully this happens. Take out the drop-in drop-out system. If players are constantly joining and leaving the game then it will mess up the servers.

The servers are fine. If anything needs to change, it's players figuring out how to set the NATs to open so their Xbox can communicate better with other machines.

3. The leveling up system needs to change. I loved the Halo Reach leveling system, the different ranks instead of a number and the credit system was great, you had to save up for the cool helmets and gold visor instead of just reacing a certain level. So bring back the Halo Reach leveling system.

You say this like every cosmetic item was unlocked as you leveled up. No, that's not true at all. There was quite a bit of content held back by commendations, maybe at least a dozen or two skins, half a dozen visor colors and several Spartan poses.

And Halo: Reach's leveling system is nearly identical to Halo 4's -- it's progressional and unlocks content as you level up. I would say bring back Halo 2's ranking system (aha, fat chance) as all it did was give you a number next to your gamertag. That number was the most important thing in Halo 2's multiplayer. In Halo: Reach and Halo 4.. it's K/D, and that's sad.

4. Tone down the DMR so it is just as powerfulmas the other rifles, it would be great to see everyone using different rifles so you can hear the different sounds they produce, it gets boring listening to the same bullet sound every time when you could hear light rifle and carbine sounds.

The other rifles are just as powerful as the DMR. You just don't know how to use them.

5. The DLC needs work, have a seperate DLC playlist so people are not wasting there money on maps that they will never play.

Unfortunately I'd say a good chunk of those players bought the DLC not for the maps.. but for the achievements. Agreed none-the-less, though.

6. Bring back the grenade system that we loved in pevious Halo games, enough said.

The grenade system is great as is. Now if you're talking about not being able to pick up grenades or only being able to hold a maximum of two of each, then yeah.

2. Bring back the community playlists that we enjoyed in Halo Reach. It was great playing on people's custom made maps. To see there hard work and good design being rewarded by playing on those maps must have been great for the creators of the map.

A good number of Forge-created maps in various playlists are community maps..

I think if you put these improvements into Halo5, no doubt other fans have suggested these, then you will have an amazing game.

To be frank, I don't think any diehard Halo fan has suggested a progression ranking system for any Halo title. :confused:

Edited by Hishoa

I think it's funny how some of you proper nerds are kicking off.

Oh lordie. I'm not just any nerd. I'm a proper nerd! You guys hear that? Don't be jealous now! But really though, do you realize how silly it is to say we're the ones "kicking off" when you're the only one name-calling?

This is my opinion of how I want the next Halo to be like. If you disagree then that is your opinion and I respect that but you don't see me kicking off with you.

It's fine to have an opinion; no misunderstanding there. If you've taken an offense to my correcting you on some of the inaccuracies (or confusions) you've shared however.. too bad so sad. I'm sorry that you were expecting everyone to pile into the thread to agree with and pat you on the back without disagreeing with you but unfortunately public forums don't work that way.

Maybe next time you'll actually submit your topic to the correct sub-forum. :eek:

Personally as long as 343i don't do something stupid with Halo 5 then it's fine by me. New games are already getting a new flavor and sometimes you just gotta roll with it.

The updates they've done with Halo 4's multiplayer have helped to improve the experienced greatly, but unfortunately it was a little too much.. much too late.

I'm quite sure they've done and learned from their mistakes however.. hopefully they'll bring the game back to its roots and not mish-mash a bunch of CoD elements into what should be an arena-shooter. :mad:

• 3 weeks later...

He3re's my complains..

Campaign... nothing wrong with it.

MP - drop in -out sucks. I'll start a game of 2 on 4 and low and behold I'm on the 2 guy team.. 15 minutes of brutality and not 1 player joined. Next game 2 on 4 and I've got the 3 extras.. OH wait..."team mate joined".. now.

it's 4vs 4..even odds but I wish it were earlier.

--Coming n on a game already in progress. Nothing better than sitting there waiting for a game and pop.. you're in a flag capture game already down 0-4 or at least down by 100+ pts in a typical slayer game.

--Weapon scales - I can see why the forrunners are dying out.. their weapons suck!!! I can use a scattershot to almost injure a player. the light rifle takes 3 extra shots than a DMR/battle rifle to drop an opponent. And the pulse grenade is just for show.. it doesn't kill anything!!!

-- game type updates. I'm sure 343 can look at what's not getting played and get it out and something new in. No one plays team takedown.. get it out and get heavies back in.

-- Commendations - The needed to look at what weapon does what and assign counts accordingly. Who can kill 1000+ with a storm rifle. It's only good for a 3 on 1 attack and you're still only a 33% chance of delivering the death blow.

Maybe these creators should hire a player or 2 with NO college drgree that actually plays these to give them a good picture of what WE all love and hate and have them cater to us.

MP - drop in -out sucks. I'll start a game of 2 on 4 and low and behold I'm on the 2 guy team.. 15 minutes of brutality and not 1 player joined. Next game 2 on 4 and I've got the 3 extras.. OH wait..."team mate joined".. now.

it's 4vs 4..even odds but I wish it were earlier.

JIP matchmaking sucks, yep. :( Never should've been in a Halo game.

--Coming n on a game already in progress. Nothing better than sitting there waiting for a game and pop.. you're in a flag capture game already down 0-4 or at least down by 100+ pts in a typical slayer game.

The JIP mechanics are set so that new players can't join after certain conditions are met. For Slayer matches it's a particular time limit (say, 4-5 minutes after the match has started). For CTF matches I believe it's if one team has more than two flag captures over the other team. Given that, it's impossible to join a CTF game where the other team is winning by 4 flag captures.

--Weapon scales - I can see why the forrunners are dying out.. their weapons suck!!! I can use a scattershot to almost injure a player.

While the UNSC Shotgun is far superior to the Scattershot (no debate there), the Scattershot has a much quicker firing rate. At a distance it sucks (unless you're lucky and most of the particle shots hit a target), but up closer and I would venture to say it does more than "almost injure a player". You've never achieved a 1-shot kill with a Scattershot?

the light rifle takes 3 extra shots than a DMR/battle rifle to drop an opponent.

Scoped out the LR isn't nearly as effective as DMR/Battle Rifle. But if you're using the LR while not scoped in on a small/medium map.. you're using the weapon wrong. The LR, out of all the precision rifles, is the one most geared for long-distance firefights. Assuming you're scoped in with the LR, it has a higher damage output than the DMR or BR.

The LR kills any player with four headhosts. The DMR kills any player with five headshots.

The LR kills any player with five bodyshots. The DMR kills any player with seven bodyshots.

According to

video, if you get a scoped body shot in, you can finish off the opponent with three additional unscoped shots assuming the last is aimed at the head.

Given that, it's safe to say that LR users drop DMR/BR users much more often than the other way around as you've suggested.

And the pulse grenade is just for show.. it doesn't kill anything!!!

It's not supposed to kill. It's a situational grenade geared for objective matches. Want to clear out a hill? Throw a Pulse grenade. Want to block a player's escape route throw a narrow corridor? Throw a pulse grenade. Want to divert enemy flow from one walkway to another? Throw a pulse grenade. Want to delay an enemy's advance around the corner to buy enough time for shields to recharge? Pulse grenade.

Those who use the pulse grenade as an offensive tool instead of a utility one will be very disappointed.

-- Commendations - The needed to look at what weapon does what and assign counts accordingly. Who can kill 1000+ with a storm rifle. It's only good for a 3 on 1 attack and you're still only a 33% chance of delivering the death blow.

Of all the weapon commendations to bring attention to, you chose the Storm Rifle? I would've picked the Plasma Pistol. Personally I don't see the issue with the Storm Rifle commendation.. I've maxed the Assault Rifle ages ago -- the Storm Rifle shouldn't be too different with what the tricks I've picked up with the Assault Rifle using the Firepower mod. And beyond that, the precisions rifles aren't the end-all-be-all weapon of choice.. there are numerous players who use exclusively automatic starting weapons who have thousands of kills with their preferred choice, myself included.

Edited by Hishoa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I always scratch my head when people say the Pulse Grenade is useless. It's the perfect area denial weapon. In fact, 9/10 times when I throw any sort of grenade it's to keep the enemy pinned down or to stall them off for a short while longer rather than straight up intending to snag a kill.

They're excellent tools.

A lot of commendations are definitely ridiculous, though. I've never met anyone who has completed the Crawler Sniper one as a rough example but I'll leave that rant for another time.