Origin/EA "Great Game Guarantee"

WOLFkraut

So, what do you guys think? I believe this is a win for gamers everywhere. I don't see myself returning a game (never have before), but it's a great step forward in the right direction and quite reassuring as we move into the digital era. It also puts some pressure on other services (such as Steam, and perhaps Xbox LIVE), publishers, etc. So I hope we start to see wide adoption of this kind of policy. No idea how it will effect Xbox and Xbox LIVE, but currently Microsoft do not accept "returns" of digital items. Very few places do, actually.

Quote and source below.

Introducing The Origin Great Game Guarantee

We know that feeling: the one where you sit down, wait for a new game to finish downloading and installing, start it for the first time, and want it to rock. The intro sucks you in, you press a button to shoot, jump, or talk for the first time, and then it's suddenly three a.m. We know that feeling, and the one afterwards of knowing that not only does a game rock, but that it was worth every dollar you spent on it.

We hope every game you play on Origin will meet this high bar, and we're happy to say that starting today, we can guarantee that we'll make things right if you decide the game you just bought didn’t live up to your expectations.

The new Origin Great Game Guarantee works like this: You may return EA full game downloads (PC or Mac) purchased on Origin for a full refund--within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from when you purchased it, or within the first seven days after the game's release date if you pre-ordered it (whichever of these conditions happens first).

If something doesn't work out—you aren’t riveted by the storyline, or sucked in by the action, or even just if the game doesn't play well with your video card—we’ve got your back.

Requesting a refund is quick and easy. Just visit your order history and click the “request a refund” link next to your recent purchase, answer a few quick questions, and we’ll take it from there.

For more details, you can check out the full Origin Great Game Guarantee policy details posted on Origin.com. The Origin Great Game Guarantee is effective as of today in 20 countries. Like the improved Origin Store, we are rolling out the program worldwide over the next few weeks, and everyone will be covered by the Origin Great Game Guarantee by the end of September.

Source

I saw this yesterday I think, thought about making a topic but meh :p

It's nice, but I don't find it a very bold move because it only applies to EA games (that's all you'd ever use Origin for anyways, but still). People are trying to make this out to be the next big step for digital platforms (namely Steam), but it's just not practical to apply to an entire marketplace. You can only guarantee your own product, which is the reason these marketplaces don't offer refunds directly.

All EA has really done is streamline their personal process which is great, but it's not going to revolutionize digital distribution.

Of course idiots are already scheming to try to take advantage of it, trying to treat it like a rental service. What they don't realize is this isn't an automatic system, somebody is going to evaluate these refund requests. Enough bullshit and you probably lose the privilege all-together. It even specifically mentions this in the Terms:

Refunds may not be supported where Electronic Arts detects fraud or abuse of the refund process.
Edited by Veedrock

This is definitely something that their new CEO probably said, "Give me some good ideas" to a room full of people and he green-lit it once it had been voiced.

---

Honestly, I just wonder how long before OTHER digital download services decide to copy this policy.

There have been a couple of Steam games I've wished I could get a refund for. And I'd love to see this policy available on the XBL and PSN marketplaces.

This is definitely something that their new CEO probably said, "Give me some good ideas" to a room full of people and he green-lit it once it had been voiced.

---

Honestly, I just wonder how long before OTHER digital download services decide to copy this policy.

There have been a couple of Steam games I've wished I could get a refund for. And I'd love to see this policy available on the XBL and PSN marketplaces.

My thoughts exactly. Would love a refund option. Although a 48 hour window would be better.

My thoughts exactly. Would love a refund option. Although a 48 hour window would be better.

You can usually tell within 24 hours whether you like a game though.

Heck, I can usually tell within 24 minutes!

---

But I agree, 48 hours would be better. But I think they want to avoid becoming a free rental service ;)

Tons of folks would buy games like Assassin's Creed or WATCH_DOGS and hurry to complete it in two days, then return it. There are plenty of folks who could complete either of those games in 24 hours, but most people would need 2+ days to complete it, which is why I think they chose 24 hours.

It won't stop ALL exploitation, but it will stop a lot.

Something like this should be standard for all digital distributors, anytime I've seen someone try to get a refund from Steam it's turned into some huge deal.

The 24 hours grace after first starting the games seems too short, doesn't really give much time to troubleshoot. Something like three days would be more reasonable.

The 24 hours grace after first starting the games seems too short, doesn't really give much time to troubleshoot. Something like three days would be more reasonable.

Or not. 3 days is plenty of time to blast thorough most games if you're not working, in school, etc.

7 days of purchase or 24hrs after first launch is perfectly fair of them.

Edited by H2O

The Humble Bundle, now this.

EA really wants to clear the 'Most evil video game publisher' title, haha.

Well give them credit for trying. :p

Some glitches and game breaking flaws are not immediately seen. Should be simple enough to progam an hours played counter. Hell 4 hours played instead of 24 hours from first launch would be smarter.

Truly, and as well a blocker in place if someone goes and beats the game in that time frame especially with short campaign shooters like Warfighter. Game completion = no refund. In a way our achievements work against us sometimes hahahaha