Basic thoughts on DLC

Stewie Griffin2

Okay, so I've been reviewing the write-up on this DLC on The Vault and I'm kind of torn on a few things. First off, it says that the level cap will be raised by 5 (again). That'll bring it to 45, then 50 if Lonesome Road does the same. Is there enough XP in this game to get that far?

Oh well, looking forward to this DLC all the same.

I think there should be enough things to do for XP, and I'm guessing there may be a "reach level 50" achievement. I have noticed that now I'm on level 38, the number of XP is too many digits to fit properly on your Pipboy - the digits actually run into the next line. Hopefully a patch will fix this, it's kind of annoying.

Okay, so I've been reviewing the write-up on this DLC on The Vault and I'm kind of torn on a few things. First off, it says that the level cap will be raised by 5 (again). That'll bring it to 45, then 50 if Lonesome Road does the same. Is there enough XP in this game to get that far?

Oh well, looking forward to this DLC all the same.

Well for me anyway, I have a level 31(almost 32) character and have done maybe 4/10's of the quests in the game. I've haven't done much questing, aside from the main quests(and DLC stuff), so I'm assuming I'm good to go in case there are any level 40 or level 50 achievements.

What a hiliarious question!

The game isn't designed to make you kill every enemy and complete every single quest just to make it to the capped level, that idea is absurd. For those who lack patience or any desire to level up legit, sure you could xp glitch it (but for an achievement? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?) I've never had a problem leveling up to max amounts. I've wasted so much possible experience because I was capped long before I finished everything in the vanilla game and each DLC will give you more than enough to get to the next tier.

There won't be a level 50 achievement. I think there's actually a trait you can choose that'll be added that caps the level at 30 again. They're only adding 5 levels because with no level gain, it seems kind of hollow, completing DLC when you're basically just getting a couple new weapons.

There won't be a level 50 achievement. I think there's actually a trait you can choose that'll be added that caps the level at 30 again. They're only adding 5 levels because with no level gain, it seems kind of hollow, completing DLC when you're basically just getting a couple new weapons.

How do you know that there won't be a level 50 achievement? Is the list already out?

How does it seem hollow to only add 5 levels per DLC? Would you rather that they didn't increase the cap at all? Or would it please you to see it raise 10 levels per DLC? Personally, I am glad there hasn't been any level achievement in these DLC's - it's far too easy to glitch them. Plus, having the achievements stick along with the story makes it easier to sit back and enjoy the game rather than having to go out of your way to make sure to complete the DLC. Don't get me wrong, I too enjoy the added bonus of having "more to do" and an achievement is definitely worth doing the extra stuff. But, thinking back on it, I just remember the Steel Ignots and I am content with the way they're doing it now.

You get a couple of weapons, new perks are generally added, new recipes, and what I thought the whole thing was really about, a new experience.

If you're not enjoying the experience, then why even play the game. (Not directing the question to you, it's rhetorical.)

Well, Powder, in response to your "ridiculous question" post, it's really not. I finished Honest Hearts and probably about 75% of the side quests in the game, as well as a lot of challenges, random scavanging and on the main story I had just killed Benny. I barely reached level 40 with all that done, and I refuse to glitch.

I am not at all lazy when it comes to games, and when you're talking about doubling, or more than, the original XP to max your level, I wouldn't doubt it'd take some serious farming to reach 50. Sure, doing more of the main story would help, but what's the point if you can't use your level 50 character at all?

Well, Powder, in response to your "ridiculous question" post, it's really not. I finished Honest Hearts and probably about 75% of the side quests in the game, as well as a lot of challenges, random scavanging and on the main story I had just killed Benny. I barely reached level 40 with all that done, and I refuse to glitch.

I am not at all lazy when it comes to games, and when you're talking about doubling, or more than, the original XP to max your level, I wouldn't doubt it'd take some serious farming to reach 50. Sure, doing more of the main story would help, but what's the point if you can't use your level 50 character at all?

Well, Steve, I seriously doubt that you've done a great deal of scavenging throughout the vanilla game. If you have, you wouldn't of barely made level 40, you would've had a good amount of additional xp not even used. I have quests that I've never done in my main game, for example, many of those for the Khans, some for the Boomers, among some others that I cannot really remember. But, the point is, that I reached level 30 FAR before I completed the main quest. I cannot give a definite number of experience that was lost due to being capped, but I can guarantee it was thousands as I was completeing quests left and right after already being capped.

When was I talking about doubling, or more than, the original amount of xp to max the level? I said I didn't want an achievement attached to the level cap because of how easy it is to glitch.

No one said you were lazy, the question in my eyes is ridiculous because I personally wasted so much experience that it blows my mind when someone says that they 'barely' made it to the cap. I had absolutely no problem whatsoever gaining 5 levels in each DLC and I sure as hell had no problem reaching level 30 in the vanilla, and like I had said, it didn't take doing everything to do so.

So, yes, to me anyways, the question is ridiculous.

What a hiliarious question!

The game isn't designed to make you kill every enemy and complete every single quest just to make it to the capped level, that idea is absurd. For those who lack patience or any desire to level up legit, sure you could xp glitch it (but for an achievement? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?) I've never had a problem leveling up to max amounts. I've wasted so much possible experience because I was capped long before I finished everything in the vanilla game and each DLC will give you more than enough to get to the next tier.

Well put. Whats the point of xp glitching to just get a achievement? Play legit.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the new level cap 50 ? I haven't seen that anywhere, and it's easy to level in this game, why glitch?

I did almost every side mission an all the main missions and then , just for fun when i was done I killed everyone, lol

and I mean everyone, lol

but I'm a level 40 with no trouble getting there...even though I was naughty an killed everyone in the game...friends and foes, LOL.

In a way, i hope that there is at least one or two more, maybe like a Mother ship Zeta where they just go all out in the "wtf" factor. but in another, none of the current ones seem worth paying for, almost like they were an afterthought instead of a planned DLC, Old World Blues though looks to be the only really cool one so far.

Bethesda has said they are only planning 4 DLCs for New Vegas. Lonesome Road is supposed to tie everything together, some kind of boss DLC fighting Ulysses. Personally, I want to know what the Think Tanks do to you. I mean you had a part of your brain taken out in Point Lookout, now from the trailer it looks like they're going to take your skin this time. This promises to be the best and most thought out DLC yet

Edited by CyberPunch83
iPod messed up and sent the message too early

I mean you had a part of your brain taken out in Point Lookout, now from the trailer it looks like they're going to take your skin this time.

Yeah, i hear you can change your appearance in this Dlc so i guess they did take you skin lol

How do you know that there won't be a level 50 achievement? Is the list already out?

It wasn't when I wrote that, but the information regarding a trait to stop level advancement beyond level 30 was established. They wouldn't create the ability to have a greater challenge and then reward people for refusing it.

How does it seem hollow to only add 5 levels per DLC? Would you rather that they didn't increase the cap at all? Or would it please you to see it raise 10 levels per DLC?

That isn't what I said, or what I meant. What I mean is that if you had a character at level 30 from the main game, adding new quests wouldn't hold the same appeal. One of the most enjoyable aspects of games like this is advancing and building your character. Choosing how you go about this is sort of what makes American RPGs. If they added more stuff to do without adding in the ability to make my character better, I think most players would feel a bit cheated.

Personally, I am glad there hasn't been any level achievement in these DLC's - it's far too easy to glitch them.

Why would the ease of glitching them matter to you? I don't use exploits, and if you don't either, it doesn't really affect you. I don't want them in the game because they're annoying, and reaching level 50 will also mean that your character is ridiculously overpowered. It makes the act of choosing the right distribution of skill points and the proper perks seem almost arbitrary. I wouldn't mind freezing the level increase with this DLC, if only to keep the different character builds I've developed from becoming irrelevant and basically the same.

Plus, having the achievements stick along with the story makes it easier to sit back and enjoy the game rather than having to go out of your way to make sure to complete the DLC. Don't get me wrong, I too enjoy the added bonus of having "more to do" and an achievement is definitely worth doing the extra stuff. But, thinking back on it, I just remember the Steel Ignots and I am content with the way they're doing it now.

I agree, to an extent. I do like having bits added in that call for you to explore interesting aspects of the game that you might not bother to otherwise, though. That's why I like having a few non-story achievements with DLC.